Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Rudder Alignment

I noticed yesterday while walking around the boat that the rudders appear to be out of alignment. While standing in-line with shafts for reference I noticed that the port rudder was straight in line with the shaft, however the starboard rudder was turned out maybe 1-2". I had noted before I put the boat away it was handling a little different, sort of sliding to the side during slow speed docking, I wasn't sure but it just did'nt feel right. I did'nt hit anything or ground it so how would this get out of alignment? I'm sure there is an adjustment on the steering to correct it but I would like to know how it happened. Does anybody know the correct measurement for center to center on the rudders?

Chris
    Superior Nights 53C

Re: Rudder Alignment

different hulls and different speeds dictate the settings, however what do your rudders measure out to if you center both of them? could it be that they both have a certain amount of toe, but becouse one is inline with the shaft the other looks way out? what happens when you line up the rudders according to the autopilot centering info? the rudders usually are not aligned with zero toe for vibration purposes i believe and 10 degrees toe in is probably a decent estimation for your boat. the rudders are aligned via the transmission rod that is between the tiller arms that are keyed to the rudder posts. the transmission rod has a treaded section with lock/jam nut and this is where any adjustment is made.
    dont forget to center the hydraulic steering before you make any adjustments and also the auto pilot feedback needs to be realigned after this work.

Chris,

your rudders should both look alike. align you rudder straight, then measure the front of your rudders from one rudder to the other, then measure your rudder in the back from one to the other. Now you will need to move both rudder in at the front 3/8 of an inch so that when you measure the back of the rudders and the front of rudder again you have a 3/4 toe in on your rudders. just look at your feet and put them straight and then move your toes in to get the picture of what i mean by toe in.
    Roger Wetherington
    252-670-4819 rwetheringt@centurylink.net
    Sam's Marine
    www.samsmarine.com

Okay so what your saying is both rudders should have a 3/4" toe in? Or is it 3/4" total. I thought I had read somewhere that they indeed had to have a toe in to stop "rudder flutter" (kinda sounds like a medical condition). If that is true the way mine currently are, toe out, would cause a big handling issue. I have only briefly looked at the steering system in boat. Is it just a matter of adjusting one of the steering shafts out to get the proper toe in?

Chris
    Superior Nights 53C

Boston hatt I just re-read you post and that answer my question thanks
    Last edited by chris piazza; 12-07-2008 at 08:42 PM.

Ask Hatteras; they will tell you the specs for your specific boat.

I asked them 3 years ago and posted this message in this forum. the following is the message I posted including their response:

"I just received the toe-in info I requested yesterday eve for the 53MY from Hatt. Here is their email response:

You need to have 3/4" to 1 1/2" of difference between the leading edge
    and the trailing edge either in or out.

Best Regards,

Hatteras Yachts Customer Service Department

It's interesting that their post clearly indicates that it doesn't matter whether the rudders toe in (wider at back) or out (wider at front)."

The thread is here: http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...=rudder&page=2

Mike,
    If I understand what your saying than nothing is wrong with mine the way it currently is? If i center the steering than I would have about 1/2"-3/4" toe out on each side. Per Hatteras toe out is just the same as toe in as far as performance, plus if I leave it toe out I will get more stern lift per Karl. So I guess it fixed it self, I like it when that happens.

Chris
    Superior Nights 53C

Chris,

Hatteras does toe in Viking does toe out. You should have a 3/4 total toe in. Only the Hatteras's that go over 30 kts have more toe in. Worked there 37 years last 10 in service and that is all I ever told anyone. Never have done one any other way.
    Roger Wetherington
    Sam's Marine
    www.samsmarine.com

Interesting. Did Hatt change the recommendations since you worked for them? Or was there different "opinions" within the service dept?

Wondering how it would differ for a 32' FB? I have to check mine. Since my repower I significantly increased my speed and wonder if I have to change the toe in ect for the rudders?

on the answer form Hatteras did you tell them what model you had? Again the newer boats do have as much as 2 1/2 inch toe in, but the older models only used 1/2 to 3/4. So I check with one of may older friends in the service dept. and he agreed with me 3/4.

On the 32 if you picked up speed and the boat is a little squirrely then you may want to increase the toe in.
    Roger Wetherington
    Sam's Marine
    www.samsmarine.com