Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

32v Rayline Searchlight bulb needed

Where do I get one of these now? I don't want to call LB Harvey and pay top dollar. Last time I bought one I just searched online and found them, but now nothing comes up. It says GE on one side and 1945 on the other.

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: 32v Rayline Searchlight bulb needed

Try giving these guys a call:

http://www.bulbtown.com

I didn't see a match for your unit on their site, but have found their service quite good; been using them for all my 32-36 volt stuff and some of the other oddball stuff on the boat. It'd be worth asking them.

George
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I friend in the storage building is a bulb wholesaler. He called all of his sources and they say that that bulb has not been stocked in over 15 years. He did find a replacement though. The only problem is that it is rated at 30v instead of 32v. Is this a problem? Both are 200 watt bulbs, but I'm afraid the 30v version will burn out prematurely. What say you?
    Sky Cheney

Not a good idea to use a 30 volt bulb, since most of the time when using the light, the engines are running and the true voltage in the system is in the 34 to 35 range. Well over the 10%.

But if you have no other bulb available, here is an alternative.The bulb is 30 volts and the supply is 32 nominal. You need to drop 2 volts. The 200 watt bulb at 30 volts will draw 6.7 amps. To drop 2 volts at 6.7 amps you need a .3 ohm resistor and a power rating of 15 watts. My suggestion is to go to a 25 watt resistor just to keep everything cool. Mouser.com has what this requires. This url will take you there: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...h5UGYfsw%3d%3d

For $3.35 plus shipping and a little work the problem is solved. Just find the power feed wire to the searchlight, break it and install this resistor. Your motors will be little slower, but they will live longer. Also, you can compensate for this with the control speed adjustment. If you really want to just drop the voltage to the bulb and not the motors, and do not mind taking the search light base apart, I can describe how to do that also. What do you think?

Pete

there are two on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/GE-1945-LAMP-BUL...QQcmdZViewItem

item number : 270322328968

$8.99ea, free shipping

Oldboat,
    Got 'em, thanks. It sure pays to ask here first.

Pete,
    When/if I use up these 32v bulbs, I think I'll take your advise and just put a resister in the line to the bulb only and use the 30v version. While I'm in here maybe I'll add the resister anyway. It shouldn't hurt the brightness much on the 32v bulb since it is usually fed with 34-35v anyway and it may extend the life.

Now I can get my rechrome done on this old light. I was holding off until I resolved the bulb issue.
    Sky Cheney

Sky, having thought about the placement of the resistor some more, let me modify my suggestion. When you get the light housing back from rechroming, install the resistor in one of the leads that go to the back of the light socket. Then just use some silicone to glue it down to the bottom of the housing. There is lots of room in there. Just be sure to shrink wrap the resistor leads, just in case it comes loose from the silicone.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Sky, having thought about the placement of the resistor some more, let me modify my suggestion. When you get the light housing back from rechroming, install the resistor in one of the leads that go to the back of the light socket. Then just use some silicone to glue it down to the bottom of the housing. There is lots of room in there. Just be sure to shrink wrap the resistor leads, just in case it comes loose from the silicone.

Pete
    That was my thought as well. Thanks.
    Sky Cheney