Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Red face New Deck Hatch + Tank questions

Check out my new deck hatch! YIKES!

They started today getting ready to remove the old glass tanks. I went up to measure and see it and almost fainted! Now I'm still checking pricing and quality of manufacturers for my new tanks.

Lastly..I could use some of your wisdom.....I have spent countless hours searching and reading. Now I am confused as ever! I just cant get a good consensus on any issue. So...one last time...
    #1. Are aluminum tanks only "temporary replacements" and only last 5 years?
    #2. My boat will only be in freshwater..so do I epoxy coat them or leave them bare?

Thx!
    Attached Images
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

Re: New Deck Hatch + Tank questions

My 70 ft Stephens, 1974 construction has 2 aluminum fuel tanks , total 2000 galls, oonly issue I have seen was a small pinhole on the top of the aft tanks at a welded seam, marine tex in 1991 and has been ok since.
    Salt water all their life. Water tanks same 600 galls, no issues.

Question Re: New Deck Hatch + Tank questions

Hmmmmmmm......I thought a pic of a Hatt cockpit with a GIGANTIC hole in it would generate more comments!!!??? Go figure.......
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

It looks really clean in there. Too bad those tanks have to come out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

That sure is a Jim Dandy hole you have there!!! I get a certain amount of satisfaction out removing built in non removable stuff!
    SKY's right... sure is clean in there! When I open stuff up on my boat, its usually cutting through an inch of accumulated crud to get at it! Seriously, quality aluminum tanks are a non issue IMHO. My Roamer (chris craft) has 45 year old HEAVILY galavanized steel tanks that look like new too. My pal has a '86 Carver AC with alum tanks and he swears by them. Its just a shame that the glass tank deal has turned into another debaucle! I think
    Salami Nobama's gonna fix all the free worlds gasoline woes --- oops; just spit my coffeee outa my NOSTRILS !! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Very interesting hole in the cockpit....

I've seen cockpit tanks replaced in two sport fishers. One a Bertram and one an Egg Harbor. In both cases they cut around the perimeter of the cockpit sole, removed it (hatches and all) exposing the entire bilge area. After the fix, the cockpit sole was reglassed in place.

Three boats ago I had a 28' sport fisher with aluminum fuel tanks. They were saddle tanks, out board the engines. One of the tanks started leaking at the bottom and filled the bilge with gas. Quite a mess..... but the boat was 15 years old......!

Good luck with the project

I'm not a fan of aluminum fuel tanks. I have seem so many fail over the years I can't begin to count them,with the worse being gasoline tanks in a 42' Uniflite aft cabin..............we cut a hole in each side of the hull to get those out.

Seriously,aluminum can last a longtime,it seems I really only get to see the failures "including my 17 Mako and 22' Aquasport". Fiberglass coated with epoxy or vinylester are the best,followed by monel and stainless. Hell my buddy has a 25year old Bruno Stillman with tar covered tin tanks that don't leak.
    I would not own a boat of any size with aluminum tanks,because with my luck it would surely leak!

Quote Originally Posted by ohiohatteras View Post
    Hmmmmmmm......I thought a pic of a Hatt cockpit with a GIGANTIC hole in it would generate more comments!!!??? Go figure.......

Yeah Unfortunately it has been very common lately. I myself have cut up 3 so far even bigger then that. Believe it or not you are lucky you core was still dry. Most are wet so the Whole deck come out

Aluminum will out last you If you do it right. Most tanks that go fast are because of Bad Installs.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>