Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Battery Cable Size for 2000W Inverter

connecting two 4/0 terminal to a single post isn't a problem. When you look at the shape of the terminal (ancor) you cna see that the flat part is not centered with center of the cable but lines up with the side of the terminal. Not sure if that's a clear description. So you can put two of them against one another and fit them on a single post.

when you wire a large bank, you end up with multiple terminal per posts, not a problem.

One thing you may want to consider is not feeding the inverter from your main battery switch but directly from the battery bank terminal, obvioulsy with a dedicated switch for the inverter. This way, when you have a problem with the inverter (it is a Xantrex...), you can just turn off the inverter feed and not kill power to your engine, alternator and the rest of the electrical system.

It will also reduce the cable run and may allow you to mount the inverter closer to the bank where 4/0 cable will be fine.

maybe i'm a little over cautious, but i woudln't hook up an inverter to the main battery switch.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal - think I know what you are saying – talking about terminal like picture below. I like idea more of wiring separate to battery - mostly because I don't think I am going to find 500 MCM marine rated wire. Either way, I figure I could use 300 amp breaker for disconnect on inverter.

If I wire inverter directly to existing bank I really have 4 x 0000 cables coming off the second battery in parallel with the first. On the original set up, I have one wire coming from first battery post to second battery post where it then extends to disconnect switch. I would have to add same thing for inverter, this time going to 300 amp circuit breaker (which could be used as disconnect). So now I have 4 x 0000 cables coming off one battery post. So I would need a terminal like one below, but with 4 crimp ends instead of 2. Just tried googling and couldn’t find. This is tougher then I thought.
    Attached Images

What do you guys think about below? - think a rather elegant solution - just need to add flag teminals like one pictured above to ends of exiting wire and splice in new wire.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by sgharford; 11-12-2008 at 12:09 PM.

Did find one potential problem with my diagram - the negative ground would not be big enough where it's tied to what I believe is engine block. I could add 2nd ground cable from inverter negative back to appropriate ground as per below.
    Attached Images

Using 2 smaller cables that when added together will give you the capacity of the required larger cable is a no no. If at some point in the future you get a poor connection on one of the 2 cables the remaining good cable will try to carry the load and can overheat.
    Fred

OOPS ! I forgot to add that the wire dealer on e-bay is named Genuine Dealz. I bought some wire from them last year and was very satisfied. As always no connection etc. just a customer.
    Fred

Fred - can't argue with that logic about using two wires. However (note this is to get everone off the hook), assuming the negative grounds have bullet proof connections, it looks like it should work, right? Thank for suggestion about Genuine Dealz - have used them too. That is where I got pictire of flag termminal above.

A couple things to add here guys. Welding cable isn't 100% tinned like marine grade wire is and can therefore corrode inside its insulation as humid air moves in and out of the cable due to temperature fluctuations of well over 100F in your engine room.
    The cable size is determined by amperage carried and distance from the battery x2, so measure your cable route then double it for correct sizing and don't forget the neg has to be the same size as the pos conductor. If you connect via a switch then the cable from the switch to the battery should be of sufficient size to carry the inverter load and whatever else is to be connected to the switch. Use the calculator to size the wires you use to parallel the batteries as well.
    It's straightforward enough to make up your own cables. Put the terminal in a vice, upright like a cup. Heat with a torch and feed in solder til the terminal is about 1/4 full, then insert the cable slowly so you don't send molten solder flying all over the place. Don't forget to put a sleeve of heat shrink on the cable to seal the connection.
    '68 41'TCMY

Agreed about using welding cable - although I don't think you much choice once you go over 0000. Since current plan uses 0000 wire I will have no problem getting marine grade tinned (from Genuine Dealz like Fred suggested). Learned about doubling length when sizing wire in prior post - but thanks for the suggestion. I had to make a 0000 wire with lugs last year and splurged $50 on the Ancor crimper that you whack with a hammer in anticipation of using again one day. Definitely more comfortable with mechanically crimped connection then with solder on this one and will follow thru with marine grade shrink wrap.

Out of curiosity - If your inverter is wired to 12 volt house bank, how was it done on your boat? Kinda feel like I’m reinventing the wheel.

I have been in the wire and cable business for twenty five years and can probably offer a little insight into your problem. First of all, don't go cheap on the cable. Use only tinned copper stranding. The higher the strand count the more flexible the cable is and when you're talking about 4/0 and larger, you want it to be flexible. Use only quality crimp contacts - not the kind you can put on with a hammer! The worst thing you can do is buy expensive cable then put a poor quality crimp contact on the end. Remember, poor contact leads to high resistance which lead to high heat which ultimately could lead to FIRE. Buy or borrow a large crimping tool to install the contacts. Use adhesive shrink tubing over the barrel of the crimp which will extend about 1 - 2 inches back over the insulation. Use a quality heat gun and shrink the tubing until the adhesive oozes out so you know you'll have a water tight connection.

Look on line at cablecotech.com to find a on-line source for heavy very flexible cable.