Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MDJE Problem

MDJE Problem

Got to the boat tonight and fired up the 7.5 MDJE to excercise it. Getting only 40 volts, rpms seem fine, its not running real slow. It has always put out about 118 volts previously. Any thoughts?

Robert Tyler

Re: MDJE Problem

Not help; just an observation: You ever notice how often the word "problem" appears after the letters "MDJE" on this forum?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

You're right Bob, I think see more posts for MDJE than anything else. Luckily, in my case after I had a chance to look into it more last night I found that the control panel breaker was tripped.

Problem solved.

Thanks,

Robert Tyler

That's good news. I'm still chasing the ghosts in mine. I finally just said to heck with it and winterized it. I really don't want to spend 8 or 9 grand on a new one right now. I may bite the bullet and hire Cummins/Onan to send in a tech in the spring.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Not help; just an observation: You ever notice how often the word "problem" appears after the letters "MDJE" on this forum?
    Maybe because just about every Hatteras in our size in the seventies has one. There old and run a lot. I have had my share of problems. But now I know what to look for now when strange things show up. There are lots of spare parts out there you just need to look. Try to stay away from Cummings they think there parts are made of gold.
    BILL

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post

LOL I was thinking the same thing but hey you Guys are soon too be the Experts on this model. Probably have more knowledge here then Onan.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Actually in the 4 years I've had mine ever problem has involved the emergency shutdown system, or stuff literally just vibrating loose. Otherwise, the engine always runs great, and it puts out 120+/- volts.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by RTyler View Post
    ... the emergency shutdown system...
    Robert
    Yup!