Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Battery Cable Size for 2000W Inverter

I promise to let this thread die after this. I checked Magnum’s 2000 W inverter installation manual and they too recommend 4/0 (0000) wire for installation. Looking at ABYC E-11 Table IV (http://www.pkys.com/Reference.htm )which is apparently applicable to inverter installations they list the following “Allowable Amperages” for wires run inside engine rooms:

1/0 – 242 amps
    2/0 – 280 amps
    3/0 – 327 amps
    4/0 – 378 amps

The appendix of Xantrex Prosine 2.0 manual says nominal current at full load is 200 amps. You think they would have listed the Full Load Amps when the thing starts up if they are telling you to use 250 to 350 MCM wire. FLA not listed anywhere. With info they provided, 1/0 wire should be fine if not for mandate that 300 amp breaker be used in which case I guess you have to size wire at 3/0 which is still a big difference from 250 MCM.

I think the problem with both Xantrex and Magnum installation manual is that they took worse case installation scenario – even though that scenario not explicitly stated ( appears they assume permenant mount in building that requires wire run in conduit) - and give wire size for ONLY that type of installation. If this the case, then they should also give Full Load Amps so installer can apply proper codes based on particular installation (ABYC for marine) or, better yet – give an extra paragraph in their 50+ page manuals that gives wire size for buildings, boats, and RV installations based on applicable codes and save the user the trouble.

I have a 2k watt inverter and the instructions required 2/0 for short runs ( I forget how long) and up to 4/0 for long ones. Mine ran 8 foot so I was safe with the shorter one. I almost never use it so I can not speak of the durability of the wiring but it did not seem to get hot when I tested it at the largest load I could.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

On the 2 diagrams you posted one had a negative ground. On the other it looks like you have a positive ground. On my starter, the + positive is connected. Better check that polarity.

i think you're making this more complicated that it needs to be. 2000w inverter, 6 to 10' wire run, use 4/0 marine cable. simple. that's what is recommened in the Xantrex Freedom and Magnum Inverter I've used. Run that straight from your battery bank, don't mess with the starter system, with a 300amp fuse and heavy duty battery swtich.

i like the KISS method... (Keep it Simple Stupid)

:-)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I replaced the starter over the summer and thought the battery was ground to starter, probably was + like you said. I'll be back to boat over weekend and see what I really have. If inverter (really) needs 4/0, then one would think that you would need single point ground to battery larger the 4/0 if it's going to handle the inverter and rest of DC load (starter and DC panels). I'm going to get actual amps off starter nameplate and estimate all current DC loads plus measure actual wire already in place to see if jiving with ABYC E-11 Table IV. I'll post new "planned install" diagram on Monday based on findings. I'm hoping this thread will help anyone in future that intends on installing a 2000W inverter on a 43 DC in particular, although thinking I would start a new one when I get the AC side done to so it all can be reference in one place. In retrospect, should have laid out existing DC wiring configuration before posting – got ahead of myself.

As an aside, per a prior post on 43 inverter post that someone suggested, I was going to split the current AC panel so one side is fed directly from inverter. The other side will be fed directly from either shore power or generator. The water heater, stove and battery charger will be on that side, while the lights and refrigerator will be on inverter side. If you run both sides through inverter there is a potential to run 50 amps through the inverter automatic switchover relay that detects when external AC is present which is only rated for 30 amps. This can cause relay to weld shut (Xantrex put a notice out about this on their web-site). Interesting that stock AC panel design can blow 30 amp fuse for shore power by having everything on, but the generator can handle the whole thing (has a 50 amp breaker).