Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Re: Repowering A 58TC

Randy, I think Sky hit the nail on the head - sell the 41 for whatever (but don't give it away) and use the money to fix the 58. You'll have a lot more fun in the long run.

Happy New Year my friends - I hope everyone on the HOF has a healthy and happy 2009.

Walt

I agree with Sky. I think the best approach on selling the 41 would to make sure she is clean and ready to go. You can join BUC Professional for a month. Take a look at BUC values, they seem high to me, and then take a look at NADA value for the boat (they seem to be more realistic). Take the mid-point between the two boats for a possible asking price. Take a second look at Yacht World listings and make sure that you are in the low end of the range. Then place an aid on boat Trader. Forget the brokers. There is so much info on the internet available you would be better off selling at dicount yourself. Another trick is to use Ebay prinicpally for the free advertising. Make sure you include a link to the boat. Do a simple package webpage with some good digital photos. If priced right, you will have a good shot of selling her soon.

Take the money and rebuild your Detroits. Or as Brian argues, if you rebuild you could go to the Cummins Distributor up in the Virginia area and buy a pair of his left over engines in the 300HP to Mid 400 HP range.

Sky is right in that you are chewing up a lot of money on stroage, insurance, and care on a boat that is sitting idle. I think we all would like to see you enjoy the 58, a yacht you seem to truly love.

Happy New Year
    Spin

Randy do you have some decent tools on the boat? I mean stuff a mechanic would need, if you don't have much I would have to haul mine down there from Alaska and thats not cheap, myself I don't have to use Snapon, I just filed my unemployment insurance but they don't have to know everything, I'm just wondering if this could help you though I don't see how it would help my goal of buying a nice large cheap Hat. I'm just sitting here idle until around march and if you have the money for parts I could probably agree to a reasonable hourly payment.
    Part of it is I would also like to actually see what I may get into in as such as buying a Hatteras, especially a big one.

I know Detroits but have not worked on rebuilding one since around 1998 as I have mostly Cummins in all my trucks, I do have two mixers, a stationary roots blower with a 6v71, and a 150kw powerplant with detroits. I removed a 12v71 from one of our tractors and put in a 400 Cummins.

I'm willing to consider a little vacation, its -30 at my house right now.

If you decide to to the sell the 41 thing, I have access to soldboats.com and can pull comps and let you know what similar boats have sold for. What I would need is the details on her, year, exact model, engines, condition, etc. Knowing what these boats actually SELL for is always a big help.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Thanks again for the replies guys, I guess I'm just thinking out loud again. I believe the 41 will sell this spring with some aggressive marketing and pricing. She's a great boat, and for better or worse, totally unique. Prospective buyers will either love or hate the hard enclosure, but I love it. It is without a doubt the most impressive performer of any 41DC I've heard about with her 7.4 MerCruisers, and she's the best example of a 41DC I've seen. AFAIK I've got the only one with such power on the market. No doubt the ethanol thing is a factor for many, but at least it isn't here... yet.

No doubt the 58 is my favorite between the two despite the fact the 41 is better suited for the river. Impractical as it may be, I still can't shake the dream of finding myself on blue water again. Despite the amount of work she needs, I can still clearly visualize in my mind the finished product. To me, there's just no prettier boat on the water than a 58TC.

Stormchaser, I would indeed be interested to see what 41's are actually selling for these days. Click on the link in my signature and you'll see the boat. I've watched listings on YW and no doubt I'm priced well below other 41DC's while being above a few others as I should be. It would seem that determining ACV is a subject of debate on here. No doubt things are only worth what someone is willing to pay on a given day, but nothing says today has to be that day. We're not talking fire sale here. I'm not going to give this boat away unless I'm simply forced to financially. Quite frankly if things get that tight, the money would not be spent on the 58 which I'd be giving away as well at that point.

Silverado, I'm willing to work with you as I've indicated earlier in public and in private. PM me whatever proposal you'd like, and we'll see if we can make it happen. As for having someone else repair the engine locally, there are plenty of shops around who could handle that, but not on the boat. When all is said and done, cutting the roof and removing that engine may still prove to be the most cost effective route to take.

Sorry for the longwinded post, but I figured I may as well start the new year right.

Well, the username & PW I've been using for YEARS on soldboats.com no longer works. It seems that it got spead around on another forum and they changed it. Ugh...sorry...
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

Just a thought...IF it comes down to replacing the engine...what about replacing both engines with MUCH smaller ones? You mentioned that you are restricted to displacement speeds anyway, correct? If so, you only NEED about 180 total hp to get her up to full hull speed. So, drop in twin 100-130hp engines to have plenty of reserve power and enjoy huge fuel savings. A modern all electronic 130hp engine should burn about 1.5gph at cruise RPM for a total of 3gph for two of them. That should get you a cruise speed of 8-9 knots or so at 3gph. Compare that to what you burn now...depending on how often you use the boat, it could pay for itself in the long run.
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

If it was my boat I would rather have a pair that can cruise at lower RPMs for fuel management but still have on demand power in case you need it, off the top of my head I am thinking Cat motors, something like a pair of 450 hp 3406, they have an electronic fuel management rail plus I do think can be programmed for power on demand. Being that there is a pair of 12v71's there it does allow for a larger 4 cycle engine to be put in.

Here is a link for some T and N 12v71's marine engines for sale.
    http://www.goldcoastpower.com/produc...oduct_ID=85619
    http://www.goldcoastpower.com/produc...oduct_ID=85570

I found this in my local Craigslist:
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/975305902.html

(2 ) Caterpillar 3406 B - $20500 (Alaska)
    Reply to: sale-975305902@craigslist.org [?]
    Date: 2008-12-31, 1:35AM AKST

will sell the pair at above mentioned discount of $20,500 re-powering vessel, so these are running "take-outs" (still in vessel; see/hear them run...)

stbd. engine less than 1000 hrs on complete rebuild. ($16,750 by itself) (rebuild alone was $25,00+)

port engine approx 12,000 hrs (presumed original) (will sell for $6,500 solo)

both engines run strong and clean. have been well maintained, oil analysis done at periodic intervals..., and have the Racor CCV system installed. both engines also have rebuilt turbos, recent injectors, and valve cover mod w/ oil injection nozzles to provide additional lube to "top end"....

also available is a low time (installed 2002) twin disc 5114MG w/ 2:1 reduction.

email for photos, documentation, appointment, etc...

Sparky I'm just doing this because I have lots of idle time, of course I know this area and if it was in my plans I could transport engines down to the lower 48, we bought three concrete septic tak molds from Georgia several years ago and had them shipped up here, now me I would set up a base at or on your boat with a puter and start looking locally, oh and here is another pair of engines here in my neck of the woods.
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/975784240.html

871 Detroit marine engines with 509 gearboxes $6900 each - $6900 (Seward)
    Reply to: sale-975784240@craigslist.org [?]
    Date: 2008-12-31, 11:29AM AKST

call Marvin don't email please (507)273-8170

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 975784240