Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Repowering A 58TC

First, I realize I've been crying wolf on this rebuild deal for quite some time now, but I simply have to do something with my 58. I still don't know exactly what it's going to take to rebuild the starboard that has a burned piston, but given today's climate, I'm thinking of other options including a repower with smaller engines. Truth is, I really love this boat, and I'm not going to just give it away.

Hull speed for my boat is approximately 10 knots, and now that it's destined to become a river cruiser, that's really all the speed that's practical not to mention economical. Having run this thing over 1,000 miles on one engine has let me realize that making 10 knots is not that bad. I'm also considering the possibility of putting the boat into a river charter as a bed and breakfast type operation as it's located in a prime area for such a thing.

I'll try not to ramble too much on this one, but I'm looking for ideas as to how 671N's, for example, may work on this boat. I realize there are more efficient engines to be had other than the 671's, but I doubt the difference in cost would justify them. No doubt there would be a huge weight savings which would further enhance fuel economy. I'm assuming I could sell my 12V71N's for enough (or close to it) to come up with a pair that have been rebuilt. The port engine runs like a top and has less than 1,000 hours on it.

My questions are as follows:

Will 671N's be sufficient to provide hull speed without overworking them?

Can I change gear ratios in the transmissions to allow using my current props and shafts or am I looking at replacing those as well?

Last but not least, has anybody heard of anyone doing such a swap in this model?

Re: Repowering A 58TC

Thats less than 3oo HP for the 671N. I bet you can get hull speed. Probably easily. I also know of a member with TI's looking to sell them and they are running. If they were put in the boat as they are now ( I think 475HP ) you may still be able to plane.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Great idea to repower and reduce weight.

I suggest you remove both engines and add two paddleboat saddles in their place. Of course you would have to add a mount for the front of the shaft with a bearing and a 90 degree gear but all eaisily done.

Now with the bed and breakfast add that you have an exercise room and the first excersize is 10 reps of 5 minutes on the stationary bike.

The guests will be peddling away while you navigate and captain the ship from port to port. No fuel costs happy healthy guests everybody wins. I'm sure Pascal will be your first paying customer. LOL

Run silent run true

garyd
    Have Fun Boating

Okay, I'll respond in all seriousness in hopes it will do some good.

Randy, I think any repower whatsoever even with 6-71's will cost you more than just repairing the damaged engine. I will probably catch hell for this suggestion, but boating on a budget means cutting a few corners sometimes. Nobody said you have to do a full rebuild on that engine! If you have a burned piston, just replace the one cylinder kit and put the engine back together. That will be your very least expensive option and you're back in business. Done.

6-71's work great in powering the heavy 58LRC's at hull speed and some 58LRC's even get by with 4-71's so you would certainly be able to make that work in your boat. You would want naturals, not the high HP turbocharged 6-71's that have a short lifespan since you're converting to a trawler. I am not sure if one good used 12v71N and one that needs rebuild would sell for similar money as a pair of rebuilt 6-71's but who knows. Even though 12's are twice the motor, they are not worth twice as much because they cost twice as much to rebuild.

Assuming you could find the right deal and not have too much out of pocket there you still have to get the old motors out of the boat, re-engineer the engine beds for the 6-71's (or whatever you end up finding the right deal on) and get the new motors installed. Even doing alot yourself and with lots of help from friends, I think you will still be spending well into 5 figures. I really think that in the long run no matter how many ways you look at it the least expensive way to fix your problem is simply to fix the damaged engine. You won't lose any of the boat's value or desirability that way either because it will still be as Hatteras intended it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdHatt View Post
    Randy, I think any repower whatsoever even with 6-71's will cost you more than just repairing the damaged engine. I will probably catch hell for this suggestion, but boating on a budget means cutting a few corners sometimes. Nobody said you have to do a full rebuild on that engine! If you have a burned piston, just replace the one cylinder kit and put the engine back together. That will be your very least expensive option and you're back in business. Done.
    Well said. I agree. If she were my boat, this is what I would do. Barring other unknown damage or the famous "while you're in there's", just fix what's broken.

All seriousness aside, maybe you could bring it to Ct and we could figger out what to do next. If, after a couple months of brain storming (with lubrication, of course), maybe we could start a poll for further ideas.

I'm sure I could arrange a slip for you somewhere near me or Nick.

K

Concur w Eric/Third - don't reinvent the thing. Just do the necessary repairs. These engines were designed with that in mind - you can easily repair one cylinder/associated parts.

I fourth it! It will cost more to repower than to fix or replace the 12.

9. Re: Repowering A 58TC

I'd fix the busted hole.

Ns? Likely the rest of the motor is ok. Fix the one.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Thanks for the input guys (except Gary of course ) as I do appreciate it. No doubt the first priority is to get into that engine and find out exactly what it's going to take to get it up and running again.

Given the way the engine still ran when it was together, I really don't think the bottom end is going to be hurt. If it is, then the repower scenario may not be a bad way to go. Dave's friend Roger who serviced my port engine before the big trip gave me a worst case scenario of $30K if we went the new Reliabuilt long block route. I've gotten quotes all over the place for a rebuild, so who the hell knows what the bottom line will be assuming the crank is good?

There's a very good chance this 58 may be my last boat, so I'm looking at the big picture here. I would think I could almost double my MPG with the 6's vs the 12's. As for positioning the 6's in place of the 12's, I'm no expert, but it seems to me that would be no big deal just to move the rear of the engine to the same position on the stringers as the 12 was. Will the transmissions (Allisons) not be the same on the 6's?