Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The debate?

The debate?

I know the VP's are just pushing for the P's but very little of their opinions came out.

I caught the last 1/2 hour and was impressed. Palin could avoid a straight answer as well as the old time politicos.

She did admit that she does not always agree with McCain and would carry on if need be in a way to forward his ideals and follow hers. I am not sure if that is good or bad.

Did anything better come out of their mouths in the earlier part or did I see a good example of the whole debate?

I did learn not to listen too much as now i am not sure of anything. The facts seem to change every hour with these politicians.

Karl,

Help us here. You have been tracking this better than I and I believe you have a more current version of Microsoft BS DETECT running.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Re: The debate?

You could have watched any 10 minute clip and seen the whole debate nothing exciting nothing new. I'm no fan of BO but I think Biden did better.

Brian

I must admit I can't get a handle on Sarah Palin. She doesn't seem to me to be pres/vice pres material but is that because she really isn't or because she doesn't sound like what we expect a candidate to sound like?

I think it's important not to judge her based on "expectations" of what something/someone is supposed to be BASED ON OUR EXPERIENCE. A few years ago, when Apple came up with a thing called an Ipod, it was dismissed by many as a toy that would never find a niche. But the opposite happened and it changed our view of the music distribution world.

We are used to candidates that SOUND as if they have a wide range of knowledge on a wide range of issues. But does it really matter when it comes to making decisions? I'm not sure. The decision is going to be made based on info available from many sources at the time the decision needs to be made, (hopefully) NOT based on the presidents experience in the past. The Pres/vice pres CANNOT be an expert on anything because there is simply too much information to manage.

Don't get me wrong, I think a candidate for office at this level should be comfortable talking to people and clearly stating his/her arguments for whatever. On the other hand, some of what the media asks seems like silly questions designed more to make someone look foolish than to elicit any real insight into how a person might act. The media can make anyone look like an idiot if they wish to do so or anyone look like a hero.

Palin is clearly good at talking to people - like "town hall" sorts of gatherings. As I mentioned she seems "lightweight" to me and not ready to make decisions but reports about her governing in AK seem to indicate otherwise.

It is interesting...

I just find it funny that so much effort is being put forth by the media (and thus the mindless Americans that follow the media) on Palin. I'm young and have only seen a few presidential races, but I don't remember ANY race that anybody even gave a damn who the VP was.

The irony is that the MSM is so liberal and feminazi that it's eating it's young by giving a woman such a hard time. I guess liberal bias trumps feminis

Disclosure: I'm votn' for Obama LOL burn it to the ground so we can rebuild.

Carreer polititian vs. the soccer Mom.

Palin is likable but out of her league. Scares me to think how close to being POTUS she could be. Not just from the perspective of experience, but judgement as well. McCain had so many other good choices - Romney, Guiliani, even Colin Powell (if he would come out of retirement).

Anyone for a McCain/Biden ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    Anyone for a McCain/Biden ticket?
    In what year was the Pres/VP thing changed? Didn't the founding fathers set it up so that the #1 electoral vote gatherer was Pres and #2 was VP? It sure seems that for balance in the executive branch that this would be a good idea. If the VP was from another party and was always looking over your shoulder, you might not have Watergate, Monicagate, Iran-Contra, etc.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Scarcasm Sky....

This forum needs some more emoticons.

I'm serious. Why did they find the need to change it. It is funny to think of some of the combinations that we might have had though. How about Reagan/Carter, Clinton/Dole, or Bush/Gore? Just how would a split executive branch change things?

BTW, I found the answer to my previous question. It was the 12th Amendment and it was adopted in 1804.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 10-03-2008 at 10:54 AM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Never knew that - but it would not work.

POTUS needs a close circle of trusted advisors who will not betray confidential discussions for political gain.

Let's face it. The only reason for a VP is a hope that he or she can swing one or two states - that the pres could not do himself. Along with inquiring about the health of the pres daily, and breaking the occassional tie in the Senate, there's little use for the animal.

Except in a couple rare instances, the VP has never been in the "trusted" inner circle.
    Dick