Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bonnevillebarbie Guest

Smile Galley Refit ?'s on Hatt53MY

Has anyone used a regular wall oven as a replacement for the Modern Maid Original wall oven on their Hatteras 53MY. We are looking to replace the cooktop with a ceramic flat top, but do need an oven that will work. Any suggestions would be great.

Re: Galley Refit ?'s on Hatt53MY

The only place that a regular oven will fit is where the dishwasher is now. What most people do is to put a micro/convection spacesaver oven over a new ceran flat cooktop with a drawer dishwasher underneath.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have used a regular 24" Kitchen Aid oven on a 43DC. Put it where the original oven was with a minor counter change. There are pictures here somewhere.

Ted

We went through this a while back and though we ended up putting in new countertops/dinette top (Silestone), sink/faucet, fridge, and dishwasher, we decided to leave the oem stove in place because it worked so darn well! We had new glass countertop stuff at home at the time in Long Island and everytime we went to the boat we laughed about how the 25+ year-old boat stove/oven worked better than the ultra-modern home stove/oven.

We have new appliances in our house in Mexico and the stove/oven on the boat works better than those as well.

Sometimes (frequently, it seems) an "upgrade" isn't!

We just have a regular home type range with a real oven below, a glass cooktop and a microwave with vented hood above. I am the dishwasher because we don't have one and really don't think we need it. The Admiral actually cooks dinners in our galley and really wants a full oven type range. The glass top is a major benefit for countertop space and the extra storage drawer underneath is nice for pans too.

Doug
    Last edited by Nonchalant1; 12-29-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Take a look at the Miele wall oven it looks with a bit of modification by a good metal man, the unit will fit in... a buddy of mine has done this on his 53MY. A side benefit is that the Miele has a rotisserie. No doubt, this will keep the Admiral happy. The bottom dishwasher is less of a problem at this stock 24 inch size. I think the stainless Mile would look very good here. If you want to use a cermaic top, you can go to the Princess Stove website, they have a 3 burner 24 inch ceramic unit that will fit into the hinged surround on the stove top. On the 53 we worked on, we had to have the metal man make some minor adjustments to the frame. Regarding the microwave, you can put a small mini unit under the upper cabinets in a teak box/ shelf to match the existing cabinets.

I think if you want to keep the original Galley Maid unit framework in and up date, this is possible with a bit creative work.

One last note, my personal goal is to figure out how to do this on the next project and switch to gas to avoid gen set use. This is far more complicated than what we are talking about above.

Spin

"
    One last note, my personal goal is to figure out how to do this on the next project and switch to gas to avoid gen set use. "

I don't see why this would be a worthwhile project - seems to me it just adds complication and cost but I may be missing the point...

Mike:
    I understand that you question the additional complication here. The Admiral hates the thought of the generator running. We cruise in cooler climates and don't run the AC much. Thus she would like to cook without having to run the genset. The big sailboat we owned earlier had gas cooking, and a 3kw invertor. Thus, we only ran the genset to charge up the battery bank. The AC was a custom water cooled DC unit that was very efficient. Clearly if you are in tropical climates this would not make any sense as you would have the gen set on to power up the AC compressors.

Last, the Admiral is on a "green" kick. As an architect she notes that cooking with gas has a lower carbon footprint than using electrical. Don't ask me to explain this as I don't know.. but I am not going to argue with her. She is too good of a sea cook!

Cheers
    Spin

Spin,
    You could have cut down on your workload writing the last post by simply saying, "The Admiral prefers we use gas."

I understand completely and total!y agree. Thanks for the explanation!
    Last edited by MikeP; 09-22-2008 at 07:08 AM.

bonnevillebarbie Guest

Thanks for all the advice. We think the element in the oven is busted as it is not working at this time. I love to cook and since we will be living aboard, it is a necessity. Anyone know of a working oem oven? Amanda