Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question 12v71 naturals gph 58 tri cab

i am looking forward to becoming a new used hatt owner.
    i have a 58 tri cabin i am looking at. it has DD 12v71 naturals
    displacement is 63000
    cruise speed is 15 knts and 19 at top speed as told by broker
    i will be traveling to central america from FLA so fuel consumption is issue
    QUESTION: how much fuel does each motor use at cruise and top speed for such a heavy vessel?
    motors have 850hrs after in place rebuild. told they run like a champ no smoke, both get to full rpm. owner was not there to run motors so this will be double checked by yacht survey co.
    QUESTION: how many hours till you need to rebuild on average?
    QUESTION:is there any other concerns to look for atypical for hatts?
    all other features inside vessel all work.
    it is a 1975 58' tri cabin for 120k. comparing prices this seems to be a good deal. which makes me wonder.....
    thanks in advance, Drew

Re: 12v71 naturals gph 58 tri cab

My 1974 58TC with 12-71Ns burns 16 gph at 1400 rpm at 11 mph. Tankage is advertised at 950 gallons , so at a 600 usable range that should net you about 37 hours of run time or about 400+ miles. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

According to the owner's manual supplied by Hatteras, the 58TC has a capacity of 850 usable gallons. If you're the adventurous type, remove a prop and run on one engine. 1,400 rpm will get you about 9mph depending on conditions and net you about 1.3 statute mpg. That will save you a ton of money and extend your range considerably.

Or you could remove both props and you won't use any fuel at all!!!!

Brian

And while your at it. You might as well remove both engines and add a sail and wind generator. Who said you can't run these hatts eccomically?

garyd
    Have Fun Boating

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
    If you're the adventurous type, remove a prop and run on one engine. 1,400 rpm will get you about 9mph depending on conditions and net you about 1.3 statute mpg. That will save you a ton of money and extend your range considerably.
    I can't imagine any sane person ever doing that.

Sanity is over-rated.

Seriously guys, I was just trying to give some useful information to this gentleman which may prove helpful. I can honestly say that if I had such a trip in front of me (again) with fuel prices where they are, I would in fact run that boat on one engine. I would certainly keep an eye on the weather and be prepared to re-install it if it were warranted.

Some have claimed there is very little benefit in running on a single engine, but facts are facts. Look at yachtsmanbill's numbers compared to the ones I posted which are very much legit. Either way, good luck on your purchase of that 58. Oh yeah, check the oil lines very closely before you leave the dock.

Running the 58tc on one engine with one prop worked ok but was difficult to stear. Believe the removeal of the prop did reduce enough drag to allow the other engine to run efficiently.

I still think freebird would work will with no engines or tanks and take the center section and fit with multi oars and have topless women rowing. They would have to pay to join the "health club" get a ton of excercise. There will be plenty of food in the fridge for them of course the one pack of lunch meat may be a little old now.

Pull out one engine and re locate the second one in the center. I am sure with a 1271N in th ecenter the boat will perform OK and would steer better.

I will take the women and oars as my smaller boat would be easier for them to row and I have a reputation for topless women on the boat anyway.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Come on guys, be serious. If ever there was a good test of twin vs single on a 58TC, this is it. Bill and I ran the exact stretch of water with the same exact boats and engine(s), and the results speak for themselves.

That being said, I don't know that I would recommend someone new to handling a larger boat with only one engine try this. A lot will depend on how many tight spots he'll have to get in and out of along with how handy he is with spring lines.

One final thought. Bill's boat has a cockpit extension which neither my 58 nor this fellow's will have. I'm sure that would skew the numbers a little, but not that much.
    Last edited by Sparky1; 09-15-2008 at 02:52 PM. Reason: added note