Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 125 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big Chill !

Re: The Big Chill !

Damn Sky, thats two good looking batterie boxes!! Did you spray that on there???

Captned
    MBMM

That's Grizzly Grip, rolled on.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Been thinking about ya SKY for the past few days...
    Spent almost all day Saturday painting that stupid generator hatch and everything else that was clean and reachable. The hatch took 3 coats of rustoleum gloss white and could probably use one more.
    Cant wait to do the hatches over the mains... after they get steam cleaned! ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 10-05-2008 at 06:48 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Even after all that washing, it took 3 coats and still shows a bit of oil peaking through... This is just a cursory paint job. After its good and dry, it'll get sanded and a few screw hole patches for the roll and tip job! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

I was gonna pick up some foil backed insulation for the bulkhead and throw it on, but after thinking about it, since the stuff is kinda fragile, I'm gonna sheath it with some 1/4 " pegboard. Paint that white also and it should look pretty good. On top of that will be a piece of Hatteras teak plywood to mount the fuel filters, terminal blocks etc. Haha... more pics to follow on that debaucle! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Finally got Methusala home! Fired the boat up at 7 pm to move over to the lift well and make the pick with the 30 ton dry stack fork lift. The tines are 25 feet long and we shoved one in the back door and away it went. Pressure washed her on the ground and slid the bastard into my truck. Finally made the rack at 1 am after watching "Night of the Triphids". Barely tired, I tried to sleep, and one lousy mosquito in a 58 foot yacht managed to keep finding my ear. ;-(( Called it quits at 2:30 and got up, made coffee, and headed home. Got Norm over here with his Chinese engine hoist from Harbor Freight and made short work out of getting it on the cart! WHEW !! Goin' flying at 4 today.
    After some forensics, I finally found the tag for the unit. It was pop riveted on the control box, between the the gen end and the engine and painted over. I had to unbolt and turn the box to even begin trying to read it! A couple of swipes with a stainless tooth brush and VOILA ! Now the fun begins!! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

So before I went in for the first day on yet another new job, I put the 3/4 drive ratchet on the beast to see if it would spin... NADA. It almost started 2 years ago in Mississippi so I didnt figure on it being stuck. Got home and pulled the injectors out again and shot a half pint of liquid wrench in the holes. Almost broke the bolt trying to turn it, so I figured it was time for the heavy artillery. A couple of good bumps and she broke free with a gush
    of P oil out the holes. Now we're getting somewhere! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

So what do you do when you get a combo washer/drier for your birthday? Get a drier to go with it. Alex, my ISO got me these yesterday for $100.
    Looks like a galley refit is gonna happen sooner than I thought. They are 24" square so they gotta come in through the deck hatch. Thanks ANG... Now I'll follow your lead!! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

son of a westerbitch...

Need some expert advice on this one. I spent the last six hours trying to get this lousy son of a buck trying to run. Trying to be thorough, this is what I did: Cracked open the plunger inspection cover on the injection pump and ZERO water in there so thats all good. Installed a new Walbro pump and shut down solenoid. Both were good but I had new ones so I changed them anyway. I depress the pre heat switch and theres voltage to the NEW glow plugs AND voltage to the new SD solenoid, thats with the pre heat on AND cranking--- no voltage drop.
    The Walbro is hot wired via alligator clip. Installed new filter and primed and purged the system. While cranking theres just a dribble of fuel out the fittings, but, I pulled an injector and rehooked the fuel and cranked it with a nice puff of fuel on every due stroke. Not even a fart !! Even stuck the heat gun in the intake for warmer air (temp was 75 here today). Cranked the crap outa it with a used battery. Cranking speed wasnt break neck but shouldve started it. I finally quit after the starter got pretty warm. Once in a while it would sound like it hit on one banger and then zero again.
    We jumped it off the truck with little difference. Starter is original with the exception I had pulled it and cleaned it with a new bearing and solenoid. Fresh fuel from here at the pump which is "blended diesel fuel" no more info from Achmed. The stuff is low odor... barely smelled like FO.
    Compression felt adequate; no gage but a thumb over each hole and it felt good on all 4.
    Is this all indicative of cranking speed? Once in a while I'd get a gray puff out the exhaust; I AM BAFFLED !! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Low compression from sitting sounds like the rings may be stuck. Give it a little (very little) snort of starting fluid. If you get can some kind of heat going it should run. Or you could stick a torch in the air intake while it's cranking. Pick one both ideas together could be messy.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Degulis; 09-28-2008 at 06:33 PM.