Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big Chill !

Re: The Big Chill !

Wrong river hahaha !! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    if SCROD ever answers my email!!
    I usually don't check email on weekends, since I get enough heartburn from them during the week. PMs are a good bet for weekends since I do my emails from a computer at the shop.

Love that install. Obviously engineered by somebody who never picked up a wrench in their life!

I'll be in touch Monday. Stay dry.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

You drying out up there yet Bill? The water is finally receding around here but still about 2.5' above normal. Ike brought 4' of surge but it was on top of the 2' still hanging around from when Gustav brought 5' of surge. This time the water ended up 1' higher, or 6' over mean sea level from Ike on top of Gustav's leftovers. What a mess! It could have been much worse. I feel for our fellow Gulf Coastewrs to the west. Hopefully Mother Nature will take it easy for the rest of this season!

Yup... the water finally went down. Dummy me; not realizing how far up it would go, and being used to floating docks, left the lines loose but almost straight down to the cleats on the fixed docks. The water ultimately was up about 7 feet. Got down there the next day and the yard had loosed my lines and strung LONG lines to the ajacent piers and wall. Gotta buy them guys a pizza. The boat had floated over the top of the dock, and when the USACE lowered the pool, the chine was caught by about 2 inches !! The guys were out there with 4x4s and pryed the two apart. Thank gosh they were there at 3 am or it wouldve been a crane job... OR WORSE !! ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 09-23-2008 at 02:28 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

So after getting everything back in order from the great flood, I got to work cleaning up the generator pad and a little bilge work. There was about 2 coffee cans full of crud on the pad, which got scraped clean, scrubbed with Dawn and a brush, then power washed. I have a 1500 lb toy electric power washer which seems to do OK, plus its kinda manageable.
    I also managed to take down the oil soaked insulation, and will use those as templates for the new stuff. Thats probably gonna be one of the easiest jobs Ive ever done on the sub!!
    The last pic shows the generator muffler, moved over a bit to wash the area. I'd like to mount it back in the lazarette. The OEM exhaust is capped off next to it, and the new install on the WB had them run a hose to the transom. Exhaust fumes when at anchor drift away, versus another boat rafting off getting gassed out. Will I encounter any problems with the longer run to the muffler? If I do that, I'll be able to move the gen over another 2 feet which will free up a lot of needed space. Experts?? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Just some musings... Found another pocket of "Lafayettes revenge" (remember?). The battery moving job will commence after haulout. This is the paralleling solenoid and some cables. The stupid battery boxes were epoxied to the ER sole. I hope I dont destroy them taking them out. The sole needs to come up anyway to get at the forward fuel tank. Mite just cut it up in place. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Just a couple of small projects to go eh? The salon side windows all need
    re-doing. The PO had them removed and installed one piece non opening jobs; what the hell was he thinking? Hopefully, I can salvage the out side trim but thats about all... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

The mark of the beast... too bad the meter doesnt read 666 (!) ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Bill,
    My battery boxes were set on a piece of resin soaked roving. I pryed them up and the roving and some of the plywood came with them. Then I had to grind that stuff off of the bottom of the boxes. The boxes all had splits down the sides from a PO slamming batteries in and out, so they needed fiberglass work anyway. That's why I wasn't really too gentle in prying them out.

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I like that bedliner paint job SKY!! I still have samples from them... they moved from Lockport (2 miles from here) to around tampa I believe.
    The sole between the mains is 3/4 plywood I think. The boxes are glued down and if the veneer pulls off, I'll lay down another 1/2 on top of that. The factory framed the tank tops for this, and if I recover that, I'll run the sole out to the engine stringers. Right now theres a longitudinal well along each side for batt cables etc thats a catch all for tools and another multitude of GRUNGE... Damn that grunge!
    The only bad spot on the batt boxes is one cover thats been opened up for a double cable. Right after haul out the batts go into the tool room on new frames for a rack. I'm gonna try and utilize the old cables as much as possible. Chargers, solenoid, batt switches etc are all going in there as well.
    ws
    yachtsmanWILLY