Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 125 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big Chill !

The Big Chill !

So in order to start a new thred that will garner 100,000 views, I figgered that this ought to get the ball rolling.
    Not to jump the gun, but I am thinking of hauling the first or second week of October. I can do a nice liesurely winterizing and not have to crowd the yard guys either. It kinda nice draining everything in a T shirt instead of thermals and gloves. This year I plan on doing some REAL work... not like last year; that was just a practice run!
    Sooo, I spent yesterday and today changing oil (its needed it all summer!).The dipsticks showed the regular level of 1/2 gallon low.;
    "the sweet spot". Pumped out just 6 gallons of oil and you could hear the pump sucking air. I ran them up to 180F so the oil was thin, let them drain for 30 minutes, and began pumping. The refill took almost 9 gallons (?) must have a hollow leg. Hmmm.Topped off the anti freeze with another 2 gallons of 50/50. I did change the AF this spring and she didnt use a drop. ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 09-18-2008 at 11:26 AM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Re: The Big Chill !

Bill,

Let me be the 1st to reply and say, I am REALLY looking forward to staying updated on the progress!

Jack

Whats "winterizing"?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks man... read on;
    With all the oil changing going on, I pulled the dinghy cradles off to get started on the roof repaire. They had been leaking for years which attacked the coring, and the aft salon bulkhead. Some of the bolts were green from leaking, and 4 out of the 8 broke off with the wrench. They were completely galvanically wasted.
    I marked out the spot that I need to remove. Theres about a 2 X 3 foot soft spot (the kidney shaped mark), so I figured that I'll perform a epidermectomy of about 5 X 8 feet to make sure I get all of the offending marrow out! One big piece will be easier to blend back in instead of a bunch of small ones. This needs to get done before the "big chill". Paint will happen in the spring. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Since the weather was cooperating (pouring rain all day!) I took advantage of that and started one of the fun jobs. For ease of removal, I'm gonna pull the genny now so that I can back the boat into the well and lift it off with the forklift. Its a westerbitch 20 KW unit that needs some ( a lot! ) of TLC. Its a royal pain to get at so I figured that at home home rebuild will be a tad easier. That is if the gen end meggars out good. If its a gonner, I have a 15 kw Onan to replace it with. At any rate, that will allow a MAJOR cleanup up the pad that its bolted to. MAN is it cruddy back there! I spent about 5 hours de-bubba-izing the wiring job. The PO had them install it in about '90 and they hard spliced a 50 foot pigtail to the aux start in the pilot house. I plan on putting in a terminal block so I wont have to cut the wires next time. This unit has 890 hours on the meter so lets hope for the best. It has a KIKI injection pump on it that I am sure will need to be serviced too. We shall see.
    Its all disconnected and ready to lift. I also pulled the starter ground that was 15 feet long. It was attached to the starboard main and had at least 10 clamps, 20 zip ties and 100 feet of gooey black tape all over it. So much for the white T shirt Maynard!
    The lift and the move should prove most interesting. It weighs >900 lbs. Ive already removed the starter and alternator plus some pumps and hoses.
    When it goes back in, I think I am gonna turn it 180 so that I can get at the pump/governor side which to me is the business side! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Whats "winterizing"?

Thats where you good ol' boys put the oil lamps out in the groves so that the oranges dont get frost bite!
    BTW Scott... I am planning on coming down to do some varnish for you in JANUARY!!! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Go Bill Go!!! I HIGHLY recommend the Westerbeke over the Onan. They can both give good service, but overall the Westerbeke's are more trouble free. Just worry about the engine side and if you need an armature don't sweat it and use the guy I told you about.

I love winterizing in Louisiana. It amounts to turning off the A/C's and opening the windows and doors! LOL

Keep up the good work Bill!

AHHH yer a bum Byron ! I am glad you came through unscathed! We were pullin' for ya!! What about the next one???
    BTW... after 6 inches of rain here ( gustavs' sloppy seconds! ) the river did manage to up about a foot! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    Thats where you good ol' boys put the oil lamps out in the groves so that the oranges dont get frost bite!
    BTW Scott... I am planning on coming down to do some varnish for you in JANUARY!!! ws

You are always welcome. let me know what type of booze to stock up on.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

We got pretty lucky that Gustav did not show up with the strength they originally predicted. We got some wind and a good amount of water, but it could have been much worse. We were only out of power for a couple of days and the genny kept us comfy. We won't have cable TV or internet for a while though. I'm just using local wifi for the time being.

I'm waiting until probably Thursday to move my cars back here, but hopefully we won't have to worry too much about Ike. We may get some surge and light winds, but hopefully not much more than that. It all depends on if/when he makes that turn to the west-northwest. If he keeps heading on the northwesterly he is now, we're in for a similar ride to Gustav, or worse.

There's still a few months to go until Nov 30 though so who knows what Mother Nature may have in store for us! I guess this is the price we pay for a 12-month boating season. Four of the months are "iffy" with Hurricane potential!