Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flo Scans and 6-92 TA's

I am thinking of having Flo Scans installed this winter on my 43 Open with 6-92 TA's. I know Karl is very high on these units as am I, but I was not sure they were that reliable on diesel engines with return lines. About how much should the project run and are they accurate on Detroits (mechanicals). I only have on fuel tank so that should help, I think. This all comes about after struggling for two years trying, without success, to get my newly installed Centroid tank sender to work accurately with my Lowrance LMF 200 fuel gauge. In that setup, I was only looking for an accurate level of fuel remaining, not fuel flow which is what I would want the Flo Scans to help with. I have installed Flow Scand on several gas boats but I would not tackle the project myself on the diesels. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Flo Scans and 6-92 TA's

I installed them on my previous gas boat and frankly, I'm not a fan and said I would never bother with them again. I realize I'm in the minority as far as that is concerned but I never saw any benefit to them and they caused me more anxiety than anything else.

Every time the needle fluctuated, which it did a lot, I wondered if I had some sort of problem. I finally tried to just ignore them after realizing that it was better to rely on my own sense of what was going on with the engines.

As far as fuel usage, there are a variety of fuel measuring units that don't cost much that can tell you how much fuel you are using so I don't see any advantage there, especially for the cost involved.

Optimum speed/fuel is a useful ability BUT, and I know this may sound a bit mercenary-like, there are folks here who have published flow/GPH/speed readings for their boats. Frankly, the info is readily available to determine the most efficient speed.

Again, I would not personally consider installing them on another boat BUT, it is clear that many folks like them a lot and find them very helpful.

So just consider this a minority alternate viewpoint.

One more low tech thought on this. When I was a kid, I used to "stick" the tanks on my Dad's 57 Connie. Is there a way to "stick" the tank on my 43 Open, and if so, any thoughts on what to use (please don't say a stick since I know it is not a straight shot down to the tank). Thanks.

4. Re: Flo Scans and 6-92 TA's

On my 45C you could have done that with a literal stick as there was an access port directly above the gauge. Remove gauge, insert stick. If you don't want gauge, install plug instead of gauge.

I don't know how the accessibility is on the Open; if there's no "straight down" access to the senders (the most logical place for a "stick") then its a problem.

On trawlers I've seen sight glasses on the tanks, which I like a lot, but the tank arrangement (where and how mounted) make that impractical at best on something like a Sportfish.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I have had the FloScans on my 6-92TAs (550 hp) for about four years now. They seem to handle the fuel in/return fine into my two tanks. Unfortunately my generator only runs off my forward tank and does not have its own FloScan. After installation each engine's FloScan is adjusted so the fuel used is equal to the fuel put into each tank. As a result of the inaccuracy caused by my generator fuel usage, I have not been diligent about fine-tuning my FloScans, as mine now read exactly 20% high. This number is so easy to calculate that I left it alone this year. Maybe next year I will get my Round Tuit on this. Nevertheless, my "gallons used" is very close ( usually within 10 gallons per 200 gal. fill) to my fuel input less the 20%. I have encountered no problems with them.

The digital tachs are quite accurate. This is a big help for me as I do not have engine synchronizers. One of my old mechanical tachs was becoming increasingly inaccurate on both rpm and hour meter, so this helped me decide to buy the FloScans.

In a prior thread I mistakenly said the FloScans did not have engine hour meters. They do. However, FloScan can't match their hour meter time with your own original hour meter's. I suppose I could wire around this, but see my earlier note on Round Tuits.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Thanks. I have no sight glass or option to stick th tank near the gauge. So that is out. Unlike my 56, I run the 43 to fish at different speeds etc. so it is hard to calculate what's in the tank. There has to be a low tech/low cost solution short of filing up when only half full (or thereabouts). Any idea what kind of flexible thing I could shove down the fuel fill to use as a stick?

Flow scans are great. If you want accurate tank measurements take a look at the "Tank Tender" Not expensive easy install and accurate.

Brian

8. Re: Flo Scans and 6-92 TA's

JLR I put Floscans on Gigabite and I think they were well-worth the money. Once calibrated the tank without the genset was never more than 2-3 gallons off on a full-tank basis (!)
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I recently installed floscans on my 48 series I MY with 6/92s and so far I am surprised at the accuracy. We matched the RPMs on the guage with the rpms at the engines using a strobe and we were able to get right on the mark. Fuel use accuracy still has to be final calibrated.... will report when done.

Even though the rpms as so accurate, I don't think they are nearly as convienent to sync the engines as a good Glendinning.

Walt

I put them in our boat recently 61 MY with 1271TIs. I had a reall tough install but it ended up being caused by a mis match of forward and return senders from the factory (what a pain!!!). After all that mess was cleared up they now work well. The GPH readings are not perfectly steady they fluctuate. At first a lot then after 5 minutes at one RPM they settle out pretty well. The totalizers are very acurate. I have 2 gensets one supplied by the forward tank and one by the aft. I alernate which one I use and have calibrated the total fuel usage to reflect that as best I can. I run slow so my GPH usage is not that great so adding the 1.5-3 GPH usage from the gen sets throws my totals off quite a bit. Now on a 400 gal fill on one tank I'm within 10 gals of my reading. Of course it's going to vary depending on gen usage but I think it's better than ignoring it?

Brian