Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Need source for Mozambique (feather) plywood

Has anyone located a good source for the Mozambique veneer plywood (sometimes called "feather teak") used in the 70's and early 80's Hat's? Sam's doesn't stock it.

Bill

Re: Need source for Mozambique (feather) plywood

Late 70's boats and early 80's have afromosia. I thought the Mozambique teak was just used in the early 70's with mahogany in the 60's boats.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Here's another http://www.qualityplywoodspec.com/

Brian

Thanks for the leads, I did find something at Roberts Plywood in New York <www.robertsplywood.com>. Apparently it is now sold only in 4'X8' veneer sheets that need to be glued to cabinet grade plywood. The "feathered" style found on many Hatteras boats is called "highly figured" in lumberman's terms. Research has told me that not all Mozambique has this figuring, so it's important to inspect the veneer sheets before buying if you are trying to match what is in other parts of your boat. It's also pricey: $186 for a 4'X8' roll, and then you have to buy the plywood to put it on. I've actually seen this stuff in 43' DCMY's as late as 1982. It looks great, but what a pain to try match during a repair.

Bill