Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Re: 1965 41 DCMY Refit

Rich is a good guy and his boat is pristine. I would love to have a Hatt rendezvous in this area. There are tons of boats and many nice venue's to hold a meet. Lets have a poll to see how much interest there is for a West central FL rendezvous.

Loose Change is having the gold strip above the black boot strip painted today. Here are couple of photos of the prep. I have also included a shot of her neighbor in the shop this week. These Rivolta Yachts are pretty interesting things made by some good folks.

Just in case it is useful for someone to know later - Rich Loyd now has the old front and side windows and frames.

Looking good #92. Did you happen to catch my post regarding nav lights on these 41DC's?

I was just curious if your boat and Akin's had the same lights as mine. His mailbox is full, but I figure any 41DC owner would be watching this thread.

Yes I did see your post. The original side lights our Loose Change were mounted on the upper front corners of the deckhouse. The 120 white light is mounted about 3/4 of the way up the mast, the anchor light on top of the mast and the stern light on the transom.

I didn't like the side lights on the cabin, so I bought new ones that could be mounted under the bow rail - one on each side. You can see the port side light just under the bow rail in the first photo of this thread if you look close. It is in line with the piling on the other side of the boat. I left the other lights as they were. Also, I doubt that the original lights were visible for 2nm as required today.

While the side lights work well located under the bow rail (good height, good separation and no reflection of other boat parts forward) I don't like the look. So, just yesterday I was investigating what lights are available today and where I might mount them to get the job done legally and look better. While doing so I found a USCG reference that says the side lights must be mounted "above the hull" and a minimum of 3' below the 120 degree white light. I don't recall seeing anything about midship versus forward for the 120 degree light, but it did say that the white light must be a minimum of 3" above the side lights. So - it sounds like your set up is not legal.

I am considering mounting a pair of 2nm LED lights that are in a flat "puck" shaped housing on top of the toe rail about where the fender holders are located in the first photo in this thread. I think the Rivolta guys will have to widen the toe rail a little in that location to fit them.

When I pull my dingy up onto the snap davits it blocks the stern light. I am planning to mount a new stern light, and probably a new anchor light as well, on a short mast behind the radar scanner and glass over the hole in the transom where the original light was mounted.

I don't want to beat this thing to death, but did your boat have the clear lens 225 degree nav light on the bow before that anchor roller was installed (assuming it wasn't there when you bought it)?

I'm just curious to know if Hatteras did in fact install the bow light as it is on my boat. Sounds like I may need to do an upgrade to install a 225 degree light in conjuntion with the 360 on the mast. I'm sure I could replace the current 360 with a combination 225/360 with minimal changes to the existing wiring and/or switch.

The bow light as installed on the older hatts works fine for the 225 degree rule. Has passed Coast Guard inspection
    1964 41DC Hull #87

The 225 degree white (sorry - I referred to it as 120 degree in my previous post) was mounted on the mast when I bought the boat. The anchor roller was already there as well. In the photo below you can see the light on the mast about a foot below the top where the anchor light is mounted. The mast and its lighting looks original.
    Attached Images

Progress continues on Loose Change's refits. Here are a couple of recent photos of the completed hull paint job and boot stripe. The last time I used vinyl tape for the gold stripe. This time it is painted on.

She looks great! A new boat at a fraction of the cost, huh? That's my next big project on my 50'my. My last boat was a 1967 41'. This brings back memories.

Capt K

The new saloon windows are due to arrive any day. Here is a photo of the finish work in progress on the forward saloon window openings.
    Attached Images