Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

1965 41 DCMY Refit

Loose Change is getting a major refit at the Rivolta Yacht factory in Sarasota FL. For those interested in following the action I have attached a few photos. I will attempt to post others as the project progresses.

We have owned Loose Change for 26 years. This is her third refit since we bought her and the first that someone other than me will perform. The major work scope includes replacing the original saloon side windows and frames with non-opening windows in new custom frames that (hopefully) won't require perpetual leak repair and will maintain the classic look of the curved window openings. The forward corner saloon windows will be eliminated and replace with solid fiberglass and the forward saloon windows and frames will be replaced with removable fiberglass panels - also hopefully leak free. Also planned is new vinyl on the saloon upper side and front walls and matching headliner and complete exterior painting with Awlcraft. It's also time to replace the 26 year old radar and electronics with a new integrated system.

Refit work completed by me during the last couple of years include DDC 6V53 and Velvet Drive overhauls, replacing the original Cruisair units with new ones, installation of a waste holding tank, new 660 amphour ship's battery, Xantrex MS2000 inverter/charger with auto generator start, Xantrex battery monitor, Balmar three stage voltage regulator on the starboard engine and updating of the 12VDC circuits to current standards.

When the refit is completed she should still look like the classic she is, but perform and cruise like a new 41 Hat MY (if they were to build one).
    Attached Images

Re: 1965 41 DCMY Refit

keep the pics coming.

Here are a few more "before" photos.
    Attached Images

Here are more photos of progress. Windows removed and rub rails off.
    Attached Images

You should look at Freebirds web page and see the 41DC he has, what a beauty it is. Sadly he is still trying to sell it or the 58. He has someone looking at the 41 on Saturday so if it goes then the 58 will get new life.

Wow, CONGRATS! It is really something special when someone has owned a Hatt for 26yrs and still loves the boat enough to take on a third refit. This project is truly special and noteworthy because anyone can go out and buy an already-clean/refit boat but to own a Hatt for that long and do much of the work yourself with love over all this time and be ready to do it again is nothing short of amazing. That and you have rebuilt Detroit Diesels to boot! ENJOY!!!

A few more pics.
    Attached Images

Loose Change's refit is moving along. The templates for new cabin side windows are off the manufacturer in Oregon. The forward corner window openings have been glassed in and the removable solid panels for the forward windows fabricated. Exterior paint prep is about 25% done.
    Attached Images

Wow. I have the SAME boat!!!
    I think I put around $25K in it since I bought it.. I am glad to see the identical boat getting a face lift. You can see some of my work through the links on my signature.
    Luckily, my windows do not leak - but I did have to pull them apart (every single piece) and re caulk it. If I ever decide to replace though, I will want the ability to open up windows. On a nice breezy day, there is nothing like laetting mother nature to the AC work...

Will you replacing the engines?? I see you have 3 blade props. My factory p[aper work says that all 41DC's came with 4 blades. I highly recommend 4 blades..
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

She doesn't need any engine work. The DDC 6V53s have very few hours since major, as do the Velvet Drives. This was originally a gas boat and repowered with the DDCs by the PO. I have considered changing to 4-blade wheels several times for smoother performance, but I have two sets of perfectly good 3-blades and get very good fuel economy with them (1.75 NPG @ 13kts - 0.75 NPG @ 15kts, all with the gen set running).

As far as the windows opening: In 26 years of cruising this boat I have never opened the side cabin windows other than to find and fix leaks. Years ago I installed a quick release (powerful) exhaust fan in the aft escape hatch and a mahogany louver in the lazerett door. With the V-birth hatch open and the fan on there is plenty of airflow through the saloon. After a long day running, there is so much heat coming through the saloon floor for several hours, you either sleep in the V-birth with the ports and hatch open, or you run the A/C. I used to run this fan on low speed continuously, while at the dock, to prevent mildew. It works great, except I have had to replace it four times over the years. I may regret not opting for new opening windows, but I don't think so. The genset is a recently overhauled Westerbeke and both A/C units are new 16,000 BTU Cruisairs. While installing the new A/C units I ran ducts to the forward head (never had air in there) and from the underutilized master stateroom unit to the saloon. This setup keeps her cool in the central Florida heat and the units actually cycle rather than run all the time like the old ones. I now use the dehumidification feature on the A/C units rather than the exhaust fan. That is working just as well regarding keeping things fresh.

There are a few other modifications I made 26 years ago.

I replaced the original refrigerator with a larger model. I recall that the original was a 12 or 14 cubic foot unit. I raised the bar top above the refrigerator a few inches and narrowed the steps from the saloon to the galley to accommodate the next size up. I have replaced the bigger unit a couple of times over the years as well. It will just make it through the starboard side front window if the door is removed. I also replaced the Princes stove with an stainless steel range top and built in a convection/microwave oven next to the refrigerator. I built new galley drawers and cabinets to match the original wood work where the Princes had been. The galley sink was replaced with a double bowl sink with garbage disposal.

I also removed the original master stateroom dresser and extended the starboard side twin bed to queen size (storage underneath) and built a new dresser to match the original wordwork with a padded bench in front on top of the port side fuel tank. Not only is this a more modern setup with more storage room, but it makes access to the lazerett much easier.

I got rid of the useless forward head's shower and installed a Splindide combination washer/dryer in the lower half for the V-birth closet. The washer/dryer is accessed via the forward head and only the top half of the V-birth closet is useable.

I replaced the original "short" hardtop with a full canvas top over the aft deck. This not only reduced topside weight, but avoids having to duck under the sides of the hard top. I think it looks better as well.

When I replaced the aft deck mahogany hand rails, I eliminated the port and starboard side openings and added a port and starboard opening in the lifeline just forward of the deck's step down. In my opinion this looks allot cleaner than the original setup. I also replaced the original hard spray shield under the aft deck railings with Sunbrella. Again, I think it looks better.

The most important cosmetic change I made (again in my opinion) was to get rid of the awful looking wide blue stripe that Hatteras painted above the rub rail on these boats. What were they thinking with that stripe?

Some more recent changes:

I added a custom shaped waste holding tank under the V-birth sole. With the proliferation of zero discharge zones, it is difficult to cruise these old boats that had no holding tank without the constant risk of a problem.

I recently installed a new 620amphour ship's battery (charged from the starboard engine alternator) and 2000 watt inverter/charger with auto gen-start. Previously I had to run the gen-set while cruising to keep the refrigerator working. Now the inverter takes care of it.

I replaced the obsolete vertical stroke manual bilge pump with a high capacity diaphragm pump concealed behind the wall. Hopefully I will never have to use it, but if I do it will pump several times the flow of the original pump.