Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shore Power 101

Shore Power 101

I have always used a 50 amp power cable w/ no problems on my 1985 45C but a significantly less expensive slip has come available that only has a single 30 amp line. There is a waiting list for the double 30 amp slips as well as the 50 amp slips. Can I use the 30 amp line ? Any help is greatly appreciated,

Greg

Re: Shore Power 101

30A sounds low for a 45 ft boat but it totally depends on how you use power. If you didn't mind juggling a/c and the stove, and/or not using all the a/c units at the same time, for example, it might work fine.

I'd suggest you check the various loads drawn by the heavy use items - should be able to do that with the amp meter on the boat's elec panel - and determine the total of the items you MUST have on at the same time. If it will fit in 30A worth of power than it would be workable.

I have a 41C and the 30 amps will keep the AC running but not much more. We have a 50A split to to 30's so we have one for the AC and one for the rest of the boat. If it is 30/100 I think it will be too small. If it is for some reason 220V and the boat can handle that then it should work.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

30 amp should just run two ACs and the battery charger... not much more so it depends on what you need. if you just keep the boat there and never stay aboard you should be fine.

I wonder what kind of adapter you'll need though. typically, i think the Y used to connect 220/50 to two 30amps outlets have circuitry to only activate it when both legs are on, dont' they? so if you connect just one, will you get power thru?

you'll need a straight thru adapter to power just one leg, i wonder how you select which hot of the 220/50 gets the power though
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I'm assuming your 50a power is 220v, do you have equipment onboard that runs on 220? If so you're SOL with the 30a because it's 110v only (one leg).

6. Re: Shore Power 101

All good advice above; you'll never be able to run all your air conditioning and electric cooking simultaneously...
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 07-18-2008 at 12:43 PM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

You can probably hook it up but you'll have to manage power use very carefully to not blow the 30A breaker at the dock all the time.

Your boat probably has the typical Hatteras 220V and 110V inputs. If yours is like mine, you'll have two separate 110V 50A inputs as well as the one 50A 220V input. You can split the one 30A 110V dock power supply and put it into the 2 separate 110V inputs. That requires the right connectors, like 50A to 30A pigtails if you have 50A 110V inputs. That will get power to everything on your boat except the dryer and stove, BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO EXCEED THE TOTAL 30A DOCK POWER WHEN YOU TURN ON THINGS IN THE BOAT. I ran my 53MY that way a couple times in strange small marinas in Canada. I could only run one big AC plus the charger and the TV and lights.

Then you have try turning on only one thing at a time and watch the power being used via your ammeters in your control panel. Since your battery charger can come on at any time, check it's full charge power draw first. If that takes 10 amps, for instance, then you can only use 20 amps of power for other items to leave room for when the charger comes on at full charge. Of course, when you're at the boat at the dock, you could temporarily turn off the charger so you could use that power load elsewhere, and then turn it back on when you leave and won't be using the extra power.

Doug Shuman

Thanks to all for the tips. My rig has a single shore power connector labled 220/50a and another single labled 120/30a. From looking at the battery charger it looks like it draws 10 amps. Does that sound low? I have to resaerch the fridge/freezer (any guesses) as well as the crusair that serves the salon. Maybe I will switch over to 30 amp here at my dock and see how everything runs from there.

The tip about watching the amp meter on the panel while I turn devices on sounds like a scene out of the movie Apollo 13, ha ha. You better believe I will be doing it. Thanks again,

Greg

Ten amps for the battery charger sounds high. If you mean ten amps into the chargeer via 120 volts. That would be 1200 watts divided by 12 volts gives 100 amps if there were no loses into the batteries. Usually the battery charge can out put up to 40 amps but that is really unusual unless the battery is low for some reason and you are using a lot of 12volt DC stuff. I have a small charles that can charge both batteries it usually runs between 0-5amps. It handles both if the inverter is off line.

garyd
    Have Fun Boating

10. Re: Shore Power 101

Is anything you wish to power 220v instead of 120 volt? Stove??

ten amps is not outlandish for a 120 volt charger...it's a maximum figure...usually they will only draw a few amps if batteries are charged...

trying 30 amps at your current location is positively the way to go...good idea!!!! ... rather than us guessing how you use your equipment from a remote location....

the fridge freezer could vary widely, try about 7 amps running at 120 volts, maybe 15 amps for one air conditioner at 16,000 BTU size...electric cook top burners are 1500 watts each, about 13 amps, unless it's 220 volts to begin....... but if you use a lower setting that limits current/power...

A fridge or freezer, being motor powered, will briefly draw higher currents at start and could be a limiting factor if total steady current draw gets close to 30 amps.

If you have a single 16,000 BTU Air Conditioner, an EER of 9 or 10 might be in the ball park suggesting 1600w or 1778 watts, maybe 13 to 15 amps.....so if you run ONE air conditioner, that uses about 1/2 your capacity and you have a good shot at limiting overall consumption to 30 amps total...
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 07-19-2008 at 09:04 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.