Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Wink Re: misc. parts for sale

I think I saw that paint at the last NY boat show. They had it right next to the Acme perpetual motion machine.
    Last edited by MikeP996; 04-18-2005 at 07:32 AM.

Re: misc. parts for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Lady
    I am rewiring my 1973 Yachtfish, I will keep you posted on what it actually costs and how many hours of labor. By the way, who wants to know about bottom paint that lasts 5 years and costs about a third of the supposed "best" $150.00 gal big name stuff? How about 20 years of real world tests with the U.S. Navy. Most of the paint on the market is designed for one thing, seperating you from your wallet. No it does not have Tin in it, only copper just like the kind you buy now, only it really works. Works on running gear too. Made by a national company, it is just kept secret by all the people who want you to haul your boat and paint it once a year.

I'm in...who is it?

3. Talking Re: misc. parts for sale

Miracle paint is made by Devoe Paints, part number is 283-S-5773, $159.08 per 5 gallon bucket. Ameron International bought Devoe to get this paint for the commercial shipping fleet in light of the 2003 ban on Tin in bottom paint. The US Navy has been using this for 20 years, NSN 8010-01-210-7813 ( National Stock Number) Ameron markets this as Ameron ABC3. I know it comes in Red and Black colors, you should check with your local store for more colors. They will have to order it. Ameron's website is a good source for the data on paint performance.

4. Re: misc. parts for sale

According to their web page, it can be applied only over aluminum or steel.

I don't know how well it would adhere to fiberglass.

5. Re: misc. parts for sale

It has been on a friend of mine's sailboat (fiberglass) in Jacksonville, FL for the last three years without any problems and I am painting my boat with it. You know my mother told me I couldn't go swimming after eating or I would get a cramp and drown. What she was really saying was, us grown ups want to take a nap, so you kids can't go in the water. I suggest you do your own research and decide. I am just passing along information. The marketing forces in our society are very strong at convincing us that their position is the only position. For instance if you are a deer hunter, and read magazines then you would easily believe that you can't possibly hunt deer without the latest gadget, special scent blocker, UV killer spray, etc. recommended by the experts. Gee, I wonder how the Indians survived for several thousand years before they invented all this stuff. Owning a boat is no different, we believe what the self annointed experts proclaim, and don't look any farther, this is exactly what the marketeers want us to do, for a society with about 32% of the population with college educations we sure have forgotten how to think for ourselves or maybe we should call them indoctrination camps instead. I ask you this, how much do you really know about the crap paint we all buy now? Who's word are we trusting ? An independent test lab, or the marketing literature they all impress us with in the magazines? Besides, nobody paints bare aluminum or steel with bottom paint, they paint bottom paint on top of other paint. Best Regards to All.

6. Re: misc. parts for sale

I'l write PowerBoat Reports (I'm a subscriber) and see why they haven't included this stuff.

They're completely independant and do a big bottom paint 'cook off' every year.

7. Re: misc. parts for sale

It has an EPA number so it is not like they don't know about it. Just remember the power of the advertising dollar. I have a friend who is a custom knife maker and he sent some knives to the magazines for a review. They all called back and said what great knives he makes, and how they would write a great article if he would only take out a half page ad that cost several thousand dollars. So his only choices are: pay the fee and get a great review, pay nothing and maybe get a review, or maybe not. Nobody is going to bite the hand that feeds them. There are very few truly independent tests out there. If you want to see what truly independent evaluations are look at David Pascoe's website: http://www.yachtsurvey.com/ If you have a piece of crap boat he tells it like it is. He is from my hometown area, and we don't sugar coat things. If something is crap we call it crap, the politcally correct would call it fertilizer.
    Last edited by Boss Lady; 04-20-2005 at 12:20 AM.

Thumbs up Re: misc. parts for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Lady
    It has an EPA number so it is not like they don't know about it. Just remember the power of the advertising dollar. I have a friend who is a custom knife maker and he sent some knives to the magazines for a review. They all called back and said what great knives he makes, and how they would write a great article if he would only take out a half page ad that cost several thousand dollars. So his only choices are: pay the fee and get a great review, pay nothing and maybe get a review, or maybe not. Nobody is going to bite the hand that feeds them. There are very few truly independent tests out there. If you want to see what truly independent evaluations are look at David Pascoe's website: http://www.yachtsurvey.com/ If you have a piece of crap boat he tells it like it is. He is from my hometown area, and we don't sugar coat things. If something is crap we call it crap, the politcally correct would call it fertilizer.
    ============================
    Boss Lady thanks for the great tip.......

Everyone who is interested needs to read the site listed below about this paints performance. It's an Army corp. report on Zebra mussel prevention performance. Despite what you hear in the popular press Mil specs are hard to meet, and very difficult to fake. Also the paint is listed on the GSA surplus site for sale at $150 for a 5 gal bucket.....I also found a retail site listing it for $385 / 5 gal. By way of reference, in the past (1980's) I have used surplus submarine paint which lasted 5+ years, but have been unable to find it recently here in Calif. This may be a great alturnative. Mike

http://el.erdc.usace.army.mil/elpubs/pdf/zmr3-03.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    ============================
    Boss Lady thanks for the great tip.......

Everyone who is interested needs to read the site listed below about this paints performance. It's an Army corp. report on Zebra mussel prevention performance. Despite what you hear in the popular press Mil specs are hard to meet, and very difficult to fake. Also the paint is listed on the GSA surplus site for sale at $150 for a 5 gal bucket.....I also found a retail site listing it for $385 / 5 gal. By way of reference, in the past (1980's) I have used surplus submarine paint which lasted 5+ years, but have been unable to find it recently here in Calif. This may be a great alturnative. Mike

http://el.erdc.usace.army.mil/elpubs/pdf/zmr3-03.pdf
    Is this an ablative paint?

Banshee 36,

yes, this is an ablative paint.