Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FL boaters, Ethanol Legislation

I just read 526.203 which was scheduled to be signed into law this month.
    Renewable Fuel Standards, mandates blended fuel in FL byy 2010 with following exemptions:

Aircraft
    Fuel sold for use in boats and similar watercraft

among other exemptions.

If this was signed then are we safe in marina's? Anyone here know anyting about 526.203?

I plan on calling the state on monday and also contact our marina's in Pt canaveral and Merritt island and find out if their suppliers can shed any light on this.

Re: FL boaters, Ethanol Legislation

Just one point on ethanol blended fuel to make everyone even happier. My car got 30-30.5 mpg before the blended fuels. I am not getting about 28.5 after numerous tankfuls and see there is a slight difference in performance. I have found I can "drive more efficiently" by slowing down 5-7 MPH and avoiding traffic to make up for the fuel but I am getting a few % less energy per gallon.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

3. Re: FL boaters, Ethanol Legislation

Of course - Ethanol has fewer BTUs in it per gallon.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I didn't think I would notice using premium but I was wrong. Maybe I need to put NOX on the car to make up for the fuel?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Scott, Slowing down is the key and using cruise. We drove from orlando to captiva a couple of weeks ago . Went I4 to 27 to 64 to 17. So not ture highway but sort of highway miles. Never got over 60. I towed trailer and only got 21mpg with my full size suv. My son however drove his celica and got about 42mph which is way above what factory 36mph for highway. I suspect if true highway miles then he would have achieved 45mpg or better.

yep, ethanol is a scam... has less energy and you use more gas altogether... but the corn lobby is a powerful one and has a a lot of of politicians in its pockets, even those who claim to be the candidate of "change", bought with jet rides and other perks.

couple of years ago, I drove to seattle and thru the midwest, I noticed my mileage went down by 15% since back then ethanol was still a local midwest thing....

slowing down helps... I just wished those who slow down woudl do that in the slow lane... not blocking the passing lane... even in town now, you get stuck behind mamoth SUVs barely accelerating from green lights! geesh.

what i would like to see is more bioD... what a shame. here is a clean burning, renewable, eco friendly fuel and no incentives to expand its use.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Florida House Bill 7135 deals with energy. Section 526.203 deals with blended fuel. There is an exemption listed for Aircraft, boats and other stuff.

House passed it and presented to gov to have it signed into law. However I cant find out if this revision was passed and cant find that gov even signed 7135 yet.

This bill could help us gas boaters. Good thing we dont have the money to re tank at this time and possibly we will not have to do so.

I have been writing governor every day regarding this issue and a few others. Recommend others do the same.

Signed by Governor Crist on June 25th. Note that while the bill provides an exemption from MANDATORY ethanol requirements for fuel sold for use in watercraft, it does not require that marinas or other facilities carry non-ethanol gas. It is up to the individual facility to find a supplier who will deliver ethanol-free fuel. My guess is that the facilities that can get it will be charging quite a bit more for it.
    Mike
    Bottom Line

Quote Originally Posted by Bottom Line View Post
    Signed by Governor Crist on June 25th. Note that while the bill provides an exemption from MANDATORY ethanol requirements for fuel sold for use in watercraft, it does not require that marinas or other facilities carry non-ethanol gas. It is up to the individual facility to find a supplier who will deliver ethanol-free fuel. My guess is that the facilities that can get it will be charging quite a bit more for it.
    Mike
    Bottom Line
    This could make matters far worse. If non-EOH fuel uses MTBE, it is not compatable with EOH gas. (It forms a nasty orange gel) A real problem if you switch between different marinas with different blends.

As much as EOH sucks, it's better than mixing the two. Thanks to the switchover in CT a few years ago, I've become quite experiences at cleaning carbs.

Florida never used MTBE so dont think it will be an issue.

Called Sunrise Marina in Pt Canaveral and they have been following the ethanol issue and assured me that their suppliers will not deliver ethanol to them. Cape Marina also said no ethanol yet, Will discuss with their management and make them aware once again of the hatteras-bertram issues.
    Last edited by 67hat34c; 06-30-2008 at 12:33 PM. Reason: spelling