PDA

View Full Version : 43 Motoryacht Pros/Cons

Vincentc
06-13-2008, 03:16 PM
I am very impressed with the dialog on this site. We are looking to buy a boat to cruise the ICW around our home on the Mississipi Gulf Coast and occasionally go out into the gulf. We are very impressed with the Hatteras 43 MY. Our considerations include length over 40 feet, cost around 100k, 4 ft or less draft, keel for good opearation at displacement speed and some prop protection when you touch bottom. Would like to be able to fish from it, but prefer not to climb a tall ladder to reach the helm and do like easy access to the forward deck. Is this a good choice? are there other Hatteras I should consider? Any advantages/disadvangeage with the available 3208TA vs 671TI in this boat where most operation would be at displacement speed. Would appreciate your thoughts or suggestions.

Vincent

Jaxfishgyd
06-13-2008, 06:28 PM
We bought our 43' 8 years ago and live full time on it. If you look at my website you can see a pic of it.

It's big enought to be comfy on, not too big to drive and dock by yourself and is stingy on fuel use.

On the other hand, it likes to roll when in the ocean and everything better be secured before hand.

We have 6-71N's which is all you would need. Pretty much bullet proof and at today's fuel prices.....

We usually cruise in the 7-9 kt range as the "hull speed" is 8.8 kts and fuel use goes up FAST at anything over those speeds.

"IF I had it to do over again....." I would of gone for the 48' or 53'. But my money situation limited me to the 43'.

But I would rather have a 43' HATTERAS than have a bigger boat made from 99% of the other boat builders out there.

Finalee
06-13-2008, 07:43 PM
My 43 Double Cabin is "Stabalized"..Therefore very little roll. It has 6V92 power. 1.5 npg at hull speeds. Plenty of power to run up to 22 knots if desired.

Docking single handed is easy. Aft cockpit heated and air conditioned. Plenty space for extended stays onboard. Flybridge and lower helm. Use the lower mostly. Great all weather yacht.

SKYCHENEY
06-13-2008, 08:54 PM
I guess the first question is 43DC or 43MY? The later MY is more of a "sundeck" style based on the original 43DC hull. Which of these are you considering?

jogginalong
06-13-2008, 11:57 PM
You wil love it for the comments already stated.

jogginalong
06-14-2008, 12:32 AM
You will love it for the comments already stated. We bought ours, a 1972 without a flying bridge, in 1999 in Sandusky OH. We lived on it summers with 5 children and boated throughout New York State, Lake Ontario and lake Erie. Brought it from Plattsburg to Fort Lauderdale in 2004 without a hitch. We liked it because there is more room that a Trawler, less expensive, easy on fuel and fun to work on with lots of head room. We have not had any major problems. We still have origional power 8V53Ns, Generator, Fridge and AC. The flush deck is extreamly safe as everyone grows older and the hardtop will be an envy of most all boat owners. The teak rails are a litle bit of work but they give you a unique historical look that will get lots of attention as you travel. When the kids were teenagers we did a lot of diving off the boat in the St Lawrence River. The boat did not do well diving in South Florida; to much rolling and pitching in the currents and I don't see it as a fishing boat. Our next project will be a new generator and AC. Though it does roll a little, if you give it some fuel the bow will come up and you can push through most anything. Also you can find one in great shape, most people keep them for a long time and take good care of them. Good Luck!

ThirdHatt
06-14-2008, 08:55 AM
A good friend is selling his beloved 1976 43DC with 6-71N's. It was a one-owner fresh water boat when he bought it 8 yrs ago. His plans have changed and he has bought a smaller boat so this one can be had for a SONG (under $100k)! New teak & Holly (real wood, tongue & groove) floors, new genset, etc. Email me at vrmmm@aol.com and I will give you his direct number. Boat is located on the Gulf Coast.

bobk
06-14-2008, 09:57 AM
You mentioned a 43MY, but as Sky pointed out, there is also a 43DC, a different boat. Neither will be a good fishing boat. However there are cockpit models of the 48MY which provide a nice compromise. Decent cockpit with a large interior and a nice sundeck (but not as big as the three cabin version). Also a bit more beam than the 43, and economical at displacement speed. There are performance data on the 48MY in the three cabin version on this web site so you can get fuel burn info etc.

If you are going to run slow, look for stabilizers. They don't help while drift fishing though.

Also I've heard the ER is tight on the 43MY. You need to consider where that is an issue for you. The 48 has lots of ER space.

Bob

REBrueckner
06-14-2008, 11:54 AM
In the 43, 44, 48 YF range engine rooms are tight...but manageable...Prop protection with twin screw and shallow keels is negligible so if you plan on bumping and grinding, you'll do better with a deep keel single screw boat...in trade you'll likely give up some interior room...I'm not an expert, but I thought nearly all the older 43's came with 671 naturals not TI's..but that may be dependent on year of mfg...

The 43's don't have a cockpit, but the 48 YF does...that's what I have and I love the cockpit for dingy storage across the stern and easy dinghy access via a transom door and swim platform...but the climb to the flybridge is HIGH....on the 43's and 48's access from the bridge deck steering station to the forward deck is level and easy...but if you have a remote control anchor winch, you shouldn't need to get back and forth often except to enjoy evening sunsets or early morning sunrises....

Look here at Sam's for Hatts for sale....

Jaxfishgyd
06-14-2008, 09:25 PM
How could I of forgotten about the ER on my 43'.. IT IS A ROYAL PITA.

I have to remove two floor panals just to get to either battery bank. It is not a fun place to play.

Finalee
06-14-2008, 09:41 PM
I put rug sliders under the legs of my furniture. I can open and close the hatch in 3 minutes flat. Its all part of putting systems in place. My er was imroned when the new engines were installed in the 90's. Its actually a nice place to hang out now.

Vincentc
06-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Thank you all for your helpful comments.

I have been focusing on the 43 MY but understand that it is the same hull as the DC. The size of an access to the bridge is a big plus to me for the MY over the DC. On the other hand NA diesels are in many DC's
Your comments regarding engine room size for maintenance access is appreciated. I expect that like everthing it is all relative to other boats in that size and type.
Likewise there are numerous issues to balance out in reviewing 20+ year old boats. Based upon my review of several photos of 43's on the hill, the hull has a substantial keel which would probably help with low speed tracking and provide some prop protection for thin water. While the keel is clearly smaller than "trawlers" most of those boats are in a different league in apparent quality, particularily as evidenced by condition after 20 years.
I have searched the site but have not yet found any data based on owner experience regarding fuel consumption at and below hull speed with NA vs turbos.
Vincent

Walter P
06-15-2008, 09:53 PM
We have owned 2 different 43's over the last 30 years. One was a '73 model with bridge and 6/71s, the other was a 1980 tri cabin (yes they did make a few from 1980 on) which was converted into a dbl cabin with dinette. Very rare but extremly practical layout. The '80 had TIs.

The N boat had 1.97/l transmisssion ratio, the TI boat had 1.5/l ratio.

The 80 gave us about 9 K at 1250 rpm & 6 gph. The 73 model required about 1450 rpm for 9 K and used only slightly MORE fuel in the process.

Now as to engine room access.... The 73 came from the factory with 2 8-D batteries outboard of each engine, thereby requiring removing the outboard hatch in the salon for access (unless you were young and wirey) in order to render service such as checking the battery fluid. I relocated the hot water heater and the fresh water pump from fwd of the STB engine and installed all four 8-D battery boxes in the resulting space. The hot water heater was relocated to the outboard side of the PORT engine on the now available space with shelf left over from the orig. battery location. We checked the weight distribution carefully and even though the 4 8-D batts weighed close to 600 lbs compared to about 200 lbs for the 20 gal water heater (full), the fact that the batteries were almost centerline whereas the water htr was opposite totally outboard balancing the weight perfectly. In my opinion, this engine room was outstanding and better than most boats of comparable size with ease to maintain everything.

The 80 model came from the factory with 4 8-D batteries in 4 boxes in the center of the boat between the two engines. Was fine for battery service but really screwed up an otherwise excellent ER. The 80 ER is significantly smaller than the earlier models (71 -78) but those models did not have a dinette available. In fact they ended up with a much tighter engine room with the HW heater and fresh water pump as well the AC compressors in a separate space under the dinette on the dbl cabin model or under the galley in the tri cabin model. the tri cabin had the galley on the port side where the dinette resided on the 79 and later models of the DC. We converted the 3rd stateroom on the stb side to a dinette and opened up the whole living area. The thought being that a large dinette area can be converted to a dbl berth if needed, but the 3rd stateroom would get minimal use.

The 43 MOTORYACHT (1984 to 1987) had only one thing in comon with the earlier models and that was that they shared the same hull mold. Superstructure and interior layout etc were all changed. Mostly for the better, but not necessarilly in all cases. The bridge layout on the new model was accessed by steps up/down whereas the FB on the earlier models required a ladder. Naturally the "flat top" without FB had only one station on the main deck. In my opinion it was and is the best of all worlds. Visability is 360 deg and a few steps away for line handling made for single handing. Although both of my 43s had fly bridges, I rarely used them.

Robby, Your 48 cockpit MY is basically a 44 MY with a cockpit and in no way resembles the Series I that bobk mentioned. The Series I 48 ('81 - '84) has a very large stand up engine room with LOTS of space all around and no ladders for bridge access. All accesses are by way of stair cases (I know, on water borne vessels staircases are still referred to as ladders. After 6 years in the USN, you never forget it). The earlier 48 cockpit MY was/is a great layout, but like everything else on boats, everything on any boat is some sort of compromise. My advice is to look at all the models that I described here and make up your own mind what suits you for your use.

Sorry for the long dissertation but it's hard to be short with information when one is talking about something as passionionately as the fine points of a Hatteras, no matter which model.

Walt

fissioneng
06-16-2008, 10:37 AM
I own an 86 43MY with Cat 3208T engines. To my knowledge, all the 43MY (84-87) had 6-71TI or Cat engines. I have never seen one with 6-71N. Note that these Cats are NOT the aftercooled versions. The 3208T is a 4 stroke V8 that puts out 320 HP. I specifically looked for a boat with the Cats due to parts availability and desire to have a 4 stroke. They are readily replaceable for somewhat less than a Detroit rebuild and have been known to last a very long time.

I would think the Cats would be a better choice than Detroits for slow speed running, but I will defer to the Detroit experts and the ongoing post about this subject.

At hull speed (9kts), I burn about 4.5 gph total.

I also have stabilizers. They are the way to go in the ocean.

Here's a pic.

These later models are usually priced well above 100K, but who knows what people will accept in today's market. You will have no problem finding a 43DC in that price range.

Walter P
06-16-2008, 11:46 AM
I had no idea that the Cats were so much more economical to run and also to replace. If I understand you correctly, you referred to replacing them for somewhat less than the rebuild cost of Detroits? Wow.... seems like a no brainer to me.

What kind of performance do you get - cruising speeds, fuel burn etc, incl top speed? What about longevity on the Cats, how long can one expect. Are parts still available and what about their cost.

I do like the MY version very much. It is a slightly smaller version of the Series I 48 in appearence. Large bridge with stairs for access etc etc.

Walt

fissioneng
06-16-2008, 01:14 PM
I have not checked recently, but in 2006, you could by a reman long block for abut $7200.

Although no longer sold new, the 3208 has been installed in just about everything from school buses to tractors. Many Grand Banks have them. Cat still sells all the parts. I have a parts catalog and I just pick out the part, call them up, and usually have the part in days. Not cheap, but nothing from Cat is cheap.

Cruise speed is 12 kts at 22 gph, wide open is 14 kts at 36 gph. The 6-71TI will be a knot or two faster.

The lower horsepower versions (320 HP and under) usually last a long time. I have heard they can last at least 5,000 hours. I believe the Cat spec says 30,000 gallons of fuel. The high horsepower versions (375 and 425) are sort of like 6-71TIBs, pushed way too far and tend to have short lives.

wshelton
06-16-2008, 03:45 PM
I have a fresh water 1980 43 DC at the entrance to the Tenn Tom. Covered slip since new and numerous pictures on this forum. This boat is ready for anything and long list of up grades etc.

Needs nothing, low hour DD 671Ns 7.5 KW onan was typical.

Beautiful fresh water boat in turn key condition.

You may reach me at 901-550-3714, or may be able to locate pictures on the site. Will shelton

Jaxfishgyd
06-16-2008, 09:40 PM
At hull speed (9kts), I burn about 4.5 gph total.

We ave. 6-7 gph at 9 kts, including running the 9kw genset on our DD 6-71N's

Walter P
06-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Charlie: Your figures sound about the same at 9 - 9 1/2 K. I am surprised about the very high fuel burn at 14 K with the Cats.. It seems that the Cats are better at displacement speed but they sure consume a lot of oats at cruise.

Under the circumstances, I would stick with Detroits...

Walt

spartonboat1
06-16-2008, 11:42 PM
The lower horsepower versions (320 HP and under) usually last a long time. I have heard they can last at least 5,000 hours. I believe the Cat spec says 30,000 gallons of fuel. The high horsepower versions (375 and 425) are sort of like 6-71TIBs, pushed way too far and tend to have short lives.

Very interesting post, because DD has been known to rate longevity, i.e. wear, as a function of fuel consumed. I have not seen this approach published other than DD. Also, the 6-71N's are usually Johnson and Towers, ne J&T units rated at 310hp, vs. the 320hp Cats. The J&T 6-71N's will run at 12.7-13.5 knots at 2,150-2,300rpm. They are usually rated to last from 5-10k hours. But I notice that sitting causes more wear than running. That is due to the wear from very limited corrosion while sitting, but over a long period of inactivity. Running them seems to cause less wear. Start them frequently, min every two weeks and fully warm up.

I thought the 3208's have been mentioned as being very heavy (ditto the DD's). The higher hp DD's, esp. the 485hp are suggested to have short lives, much shorter than the N's. Don't believe any 43MY's had the 485hp's.

I have a 43DCFB, 1972, J&T 6-71N's and the bow is the only location for fishing and then not really very good for adults. Really a grandchildren play site for throwing mops in the water on tethers and general fun or light fishing.

Very good space for two, four is ok, six only if friends for a cruise. So commodious for their size. As my son's mother-in-law (may she RIP- a fine woman) once said, "first time I ever got lost on a boat!". Most ever aboard for a run was 22, but that was not silly, merely foolish. Group of friends day cruise is nice at 8-9 on board.

Great sea boats, if running into head or quartering seas. 1-3' hardly noticed, at full cruise (12.5-13kn), up to 3-5' is decent ride, not jarring at all, then at 7-9', checking down is required, maybe to 11-12knots. Bigger seas (7-9') not by choice, but a "can run, if you get caught" situation. Beam seas no fun, unless have stabs. Following seas not bad, since if you don't oversteer, you can "surf" the boat down the face of a following sea, as much a 36k# boat can "surf".

There was and I have seen a 53'YF, but a completely different series, engineering and hull from the 43, 44, and 48 runs. Also, there was a newer, but much more costly used, 48CMY with 6-92's (questionable durability?). More of a round bilge hull, maybe better for slower running?

Vincentc
06-17-2008, 04:20 AM
Helpful posts and dissertations, particularly your real world experiences.

I've studied available CAT and Detroit data sheets and noted significant differences in hp for fuel consumed between 3208 and 71 series Detroit. An 871N performance curve indicates only 13 to 16 hp per gal vs 3208 CAT performance data showing 17 hp/gal for the 3208N at 44hp and over 20hp/gal for the 3208T at 91 hp output.

Gerr's "Propeller Handbook" chart indicates approximatedly 105 bhp total needed for 8.5 kts with a 37' WLL and 45000 lb displacement. This would work out to 1.1 NmPG assuming 13 Hp/Gal and 1.4 NMpg with 17 Hp/Gal.

Interesting that Walt's 71TI's gave better economy at 9 Kt than his N's. Seen no data but assumed an NA would perform better at low RPM.

Regarding 3208 replacement vs DD rebuild, can you get the 3208's in and out of the boat? Dealing with 20+ year old boats, that seems worth considering?

Vincent

fissioneng
06-17-2008, 10:31 AM
I am surprised about the very high fuel burn at 14 K with the Cats..

I never run the boat wide open. I don't think 22 gph (11 for each engine) at a cruise of 12 kts is that high. What would a 6-71TI burn at this speed?

I do not think 6-71TIBs were ever installed in any 43 (DC or MY). Good thing.

Engine Weight - The spec sheets I have show the 3208T weighs 1800 lb and the 6-71N weighs 2740 lb, almost 1000 lb difference! A ton between two of them.

Removal - If you take off the heat exchanger, manifolds, turbo, and oil pan, a 3208 block will slip right out the saloon window!

Seas - The boat DOES surf well in a following sea. I was in some nasty 20 kt 4-6 footers and we picked up 4-5 kts of speed going down waves. The big rudders and keel make it pretty easy to steer. (gotta watch you don't broach! :eek:) Once, I ran the boat on one engine and the keel made it easy to steer/dock.

48MY Series I (early 80's) - This boat looks similar, but the hull is very different. It was designed to be more efficient (rounder bilges) at slower speeds according to its Hatteras brochure. I do not think many of these were made.

Walter P
06-17-2008, 01:26 PM
I agree that it seemed odd that the TIs gave me better milage at 9 K than the Ns, but it's probably because the TIs cranked 1200 rpm while the Ns needed 1400 to do the same speed. The transmission ratios made the difference, as the TIs ran 1.5/1 Capital gears, while the N boat ran 1.97/1 twin disc so the propeller speed was higher for any given RPM with the TI boat. The N boat would make 16K, 17 on a good day while the TI boat ran much faster. I must say that I have always maintained a very clean slick bottom however. Before just about every fairly long trip, I would do a short haul to clean her up. The TI boat averaged about 28 gph at 1900-1950 on the Flowscans and provided a solid 16 K with no current. More with current, less against it.

Regarding the 48 Series I MY (1981 - 1984), they only made about 30 - 35 boats total. According to the folks at Hatteras, the cost to produce them was too close to the cost of the 53 and most buyers opted to pay the relatively small difference and get the 53. Makes sense as most systems are the same including engines, generators, 4 AC units etc..... Hull length was only 4 ft 5 inches less than the 53 and beam is 10" more on the 53. If at the time, I were looking to spend $ for a new Hatt, the 53 would have won me over hands down as well. I must say in closing that I am extremely pleased with my 1982 Series I 48. There are NO ladders for older guys like me to climb up and down, real staircases are the order of the day. Very large stand up full beam engine room with work bench etc,,, plus, plus and much more. Walt

Vincentc
07-26-2008, 08:21 AM
We made the decision.

After a few months research and shopping we closed yesterday on a 43 DCFB 1983. We will be bringing it home next Saturday from Sarasota to Pascagoula.

Although I thought we really wanted the MY because of looks and easy access to the flybridge, I came around to the DC. I like a useable lower helm located adjacent to the aft deck. With our family, a sundeck is important and the DC has a fine one fwd of the helm. The built in bench at the forward end of the cabin is well, classic.

We have had almost no time to get familiar with the boat and are taking it on a 500+ nm trip essentially its first time out.
Had thorough hull and engine surveys performed and are addressing the issues noted, except for the recommend to rebuild the engines which we will address with a mechanic close to home. In order not to overstress the engines we will be running at <1500 Rpm.

I would appreciate your comments from experiences with similar boats. Ours is a 1983 with 671ti 390hp. 1.5 capitol gears and 24x23 wheels.

Thanks for your kind and helpful comments and suggestions. Vincent

Finalee
07-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Great boat. Very stable in oncoming seas. They can get a bit rocky in beam seas. (Mine is stabalized so not a problem) Have been out in 40 knot winds on the Chesapeake, and she did just fine. Again the stabalizers steady her very well. Make sure the wipers are in good condition. They do tend to be a wet boat.
Curious why the engines require rebuild? If she has been idle for awhile , bring along a supply of replacement fuel filters. Become familiar with how to replace them prior to getting underway.
If you specific questions feel free to p.m. me. Mine is powered with 6v92 425 hp. Engines new in 1990. Cruise at 17knot, max 24 kt. 8-9 knot is very economical. 1.5 npg

spartonboat1
07-26-2008, 01:17 PM
We made the decision.

After a few months research and shopping we closed yesterday on a 43 DCFB 1983. We will be bringing it home next Saturday from Sarasota to Pascagoula.

Although I thought we really wanted the MY because of looks and easy access to the flybridge, I came around to the DC. I like a useable lower helm located adjacent to the aft deck. With our family, a sundeck is important and the DC has a fine one fwd of the helm. The built in bench at the forward end of the cabin is well, classic.

We have had almost no time to get familiar with the boat and are taking it on a 500+ nm trip essentially its first time out.
Had thorough hull and engine surveys performed and are addressing the issues noted, except for the recommend to rebuild the engines which we will address with a mechanic close to home. In order not to overstress the engines we will be running at <1500 Rpm.

I would appreciate your comments from experiences with similar boats. Ours is a 1983 with 671ti 390hp. 1.5 capitol gears and 24x23 wheels.

Thanks for your kind and helpful comments and suggestions. Vincent
Congratulations. All in all, I think you will be very pleased with the purchase. We've had ours 11 years, and still enjoying plus continuously improving and we enjoy every single trip. I still love to hear the "boom" when those 6-71's light off. It's a blessing that they are so well built, that you can start out on a 500nm trip, without much prep. My maiden voygage was line of sight dead-reckoning across Lake Mighigan (out of sight of shore for awhile) with radar only and an oil change. I was pretty naive.

If you had 6-71N's, running stress wouldn't be that bad regardless of hours, but the turbo's are the primary issue area, until baselined. So staying out of the turbo's is probably good.

Before starting off, I would recommend minimum of good charts, a couple hand held GPS units, even if you have built in GPS, and a couple packs of batteries, and 2-3 binocs. Take some sea sickness pills along, in case needed. We have never been seasick on this craft, except for a guest when got caught in 7-9' seas; but ocean seas are not as rough as the Great Lakes. Buy a couple high end PFD's, class I's with radar reflectors; Stearns are good (W. Marine has some). Just for safety's sake.

Also, until you know your mains oil consumption rates, plan on min 2-4 qts/ten hours run time. So take about 3-4 gals with you. Don't use it? no problem! Could be you can use it in the gears (you can in Twin Disc, but check your Cap manuals). Use straight 40 wgt only! Many posts about good brands ranging from DD's own, to Texaco Ursa 40 to Exxon XD40.

Take a quart of good ATF for your hydraulic steering. The fluid level is observable in a sight pipe on the side of the resovoir (spec is 3"'s from top) and the system should register about 30#'s on the gauge on top of the resovoir. Also, take a gallon of green coolant (just in case).

Check your raw water sight glass to ensure your strainers are clear. Did your tech's observer your impellers? Probably ok, since running slower, or if are new(er).

Your boat is newer, so you may well encounter no issues at all. A couple radios, plus a handheld, working horn, one set of new flares, and observed working bilge pumps and you're all set. I just got boarded by the USCG and got an all clear.

Happy running!

Bill Root
07-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Congratulations on your purchase. We went through much the same process selecting the right boat as you. We bought our 1973 DCMY in Ft Myers in November. The boat had a complete mechanical refit in 2003 with new CAT 3126-300's.

We were moving the boat from Ft Myers to it's new home in Sanford, Fl. That required crossing the Okeechobee Waterway, then heading up the ICW to Jacksonville and back down the St John's River to Sanford. We had a local yard strip & repaint the bottom, perform an engine/generator service, replace all the through hulls and double clamp all the hoses before we left. I would suggest the engine service, thru-hull work and hose double clamping as a minimum for the trip you are planning. In addition, I would recommend checking the heads and performing a pump-out to make sure it's working properly. An AC service check would also be a good idea since you will be travelling in very hot weather.

I agree with the comments of others on this site who have applauded your choice. This was our first experience with a boat this size. We have found ours to be extremely sea kindly and just as solid as a rock. It handles very well in tight spaces. The biggest surprise was the fuel economy. We get 1.5 NMPG at 16 knot cruise, and close to 2.0 NMPG at 9-10 knots. Those CAT 3126's just sip fuel.

Best of luck, and travel safely.

Bill Root
Tucandu
1973 43' DCMY

Brian Degulis
07-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Congradulations and good luck!!! If your starting from Sarasota (my area) then a stop at Clearwater Municipal Marina makes sense. It will give you a nice shakedown before the open water stretch down the big bend. There should be plenty of transient space available this time of year. If you do un cover any problems it's a good area to get stuff and fuel is cheap ( I can't believe I just said that) well comparatively cheap anyway.

Brian

Vincentc
07-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I have incorporated them in our list. Vincent

spartonboat1
07-27-2008, 01:01 PM
I like a useable lower helm located adjacent to the aft deck. With our family, a sundeck is important and the DC has a fine one fwd of the helm. The built in bench at the forward end of the cabin is well, classic.

The lower helm/bridge is great. Hatt did a study with strain gages and said that in rough seas it is the best location for steering, i.e. about 2/3's aft.

You can run in 3-5' seas at full cruise and the ride is gentle there. We had a run in those conditions with my little 4' 11 3/4" Admiral driving and my grandson fell asleep in the 2nd chair at the helm. I had a video of it (which I need to post- only stills on the HOF site), which I showed at the office. One associate, who is a boater, was amazed. He said "...imagine that...going through 5' waves like they aren't there!

The sundeck is great and people really enjoy it! Breakfast on the aft sun deck is a great pleasure.

The built-in bench is usually termed a "trunk" and very convenient. Passengers love it in up to 3' seas, while its a great place to sit or sunbath, while moored. Cup of coffee or drink of choice is pleasant up there!

Vincentc
08-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Please allow me to answer by initial question. Actual experience confirms my favorable shopping impressions regarding the 43 DC. We completed our purchase of a 1983 43 FBDC (had a fine experience with the broker, Greg Somerville of Galati Yachts) and brought our boat home home.

We had a great cruise. Our 6 person family spent 9 days together on a 43 foot boat. Left Sarasota for a "shakedown" cruise to Venice on Sunday with no problems. Had oil and filters changed Monday morning in Sarasota and left for home that afternoon. Monday and Tuesday we traveled up the ICW to Tarpon Springs and left early Wednesday morning crossing the Gulf to Carabelle. Traveled the ICW to Panama City and back in the Gulf to Destin. We took the ICW to Pensacola then went back in the Gulf to Mobile Bay. The wind picked up and we traveled inside to Pascagoula arriving home Sunday afternoon. We were on anchor each night Saturday thru the next Sunday except for dockage at Tarpon Springs.

I am extremely pleased with the 43 DC. The boat not only accomodated us and also handled seas well and was quite resistant to rolling from passing boat wakes. We cruised at 1200 rpm / 8.5 kts most of the way. Used both the flybridge and lower helm and appreciated them both depending upon the weather and my inclination. The cabin top/sundeck and trunk were extremely popular. The aft deck was a fine place for drinks, appetizers and dinner. The DC layout is about as useful as I can conceive for our use.

A couple of perko rod holders bolted to the smaller handrail stantions just aft of midship allowed us to troll while in the Gulf. The other stantions were too big for the holder fittings. (I am very impressed with the substantial nature of the fittings aboard. We caught one nice Spanish Mackrel. And missed several hits due to an inability to hear the line being stripped off. The 671 ti's exhaust is kind of loud in the area of the helm and the crew was more inclined to hang out on the sundeck than stay close to the reels.
I wonder if replacing the 25 year old mufflers be worthwhile?

The only significant "con" that comes to mind is window leaks. I knew the salon side windows had some leaks but discovered some very impressive leaks under the windshield. We had a fine rainstorm early this morning while the boat was at the dock. A large amount of water was pooling in the area under the windshield just forward of the helm. (Soaking several books and chats we had left our on what I thought was a well protected area. Closer inspection revealed water dripping in at a rather amazing rate apparently under the each of the three windshield frames.

Regards,
Vincent