PDA

View Full Version : Wood Cover up/Headliner/Paint job

Blakely
09-29-2004, 12:11 AM
I have noticed on some of the older Hat's, some boat owners have covered up a portion of the wood with a beige wallpaper type material to lighten the spaces and have left the wood trim. I like the look and was wondering if anyone knows how to do this and what a budgetary price is to have this done. The Boat is on the West Coast.

Does anyone know what the budgetary price is to have a headliner replaced?

Budgetary price for new LP paint job on a 46C?

Thanks for any input.

PascalG
09-29-2004, 01:05 PM
I would try to do it in a non destructive way which can easily be reverted back if you ever sell the boat.

I've seen ads for 53s with the wood painted over and didn't even bother looking at the boats as, to me, the wood is part of the charm of these old Hats.

One place that I was thinking about doing this is around the portholes in the master stateroom, I think it might make the stateroom look larger but if I ever do it, it will be using some lightweight rigid material which could easily be removed. no painting or gluing.

the right light makes a big difference in how the wood comes out and how bright the space looks. I'd start there before doing any permanent changes.

pascal
miami, fl
1970 53MY

BEC53
09-30-2004, 11:31 AM
with Pascal. I looked on YachtWorld for a 53my for months and everytime I saw wood that was painted over, I would immediately dismiss it. You might try changing the lighting first, before covering up the wood.

Genesis
09-30-2004, 11:57 AM
I immediately dismissed several 45Cs that had this treatment done to them throughout.

Mine has the textured wallpaper in the master head - I thought it was original, until I had to replace the shower hose which required that I remove the access panels - and discovered the original afromosia back there!

Its now on the "to restore to original" list.

I LOVE wood, and so do a lot of other people. Yeah, it has a dark color. And? Fix the lighting problem if there is one rather than covering up the wood - PLEASE!

There are a lot of people - myself included - you immediately dismiss boats that have had this kind of thing done to the interiors. If you ever think you might sell her, you're doing severe damage to the marketability of the vessel by undertaking this kind of thing, especially if you paint or wallpaper.

Trojan
09-30-2004, 12:56 PM
I purchased a boat a few years back and the entire inside, everything was covered in wallpaper and paint.The wife asked if we could change the paper.I said you bet and that I didn't think that this boat came with wallpaper.Most boats had wood.I mixed up some vinegar and water and started soaking the walls and panels.To her surprise everything was Teak wood or teak panels.In 4 weeks everything was easily stripped.Washed and rubbed down with Old English.That included stripping the paint.It turned out like new.Why anyone would wallpaper and paint over teak wood.Is beyond Me.Bill

ttom02
09-30-2004, 01:45 PM
I totally agree about the look of the rich wood - that's why I own a Hatteras. However, some areas do benefit from the light given off from the newer look. One way I have found to do this is to make panels from 3/16" luan plywood, use a thin padding material and a fabric cover to wrap the panels. The panels can then be vecro fastened into place. Works great as they are removable to get back into wiring etc. The luan is cheap and easy to cut to fit around portholes etc. Best thing is that if you later decide you don't like it - just pull it down and throw it out.

heyboo
10-01-2004, 06:34 PM
It's so refreshing to hear (see) so many positive comments on "wood." My '66 50' MY has the master completely painted, the middle stateroom partially wallpapered as is the forward stateroom. The gally and salon are the only rooms completely as they should be IMHO. I purchased the boat anyway and I love her but nonetheless the cover-up must go. The papered rooms are easy but the painted master I believe is original. The early brochures showed them to be painted. Investigation shows ours to be painted over unfinished mahogany or teak and it may not be easy. When I board a Hatteras that is done up so nice in all wood I become so envious it's unbelievable.

There is nothing like wood...nothing.

doubleeagle
10-02-2004, 12:06 AM
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
well my 2 cents worth
different strokes for different folks
I like woood also but when I found the boat for me it had so much water stainsthat would have tried the patience from me ...I decided to use a cloth backed vinyl
wall covering ...has a nautical knot look in off white...
left the trim as it was and used polyurethane on it ...I like the newness of the look and it is definatly lighter..since my boat is an early 72 model they were very dark wood...vintage is fine if you have some thing to work with..
your thoutghts...
bill

hatteraswannabe
10-02-2004, 12:52 AM
When we purchased our 56 Hatteras, the main salon, mid stateroom and the two aft staterooms all had wallpaper on them. In the main salon I was able to remove the wallpaper and fortunately they only glued around the windows and doors. Still having trouble getting some of the glue off. All the staterooms that were glued were totally ruined. Was able to remove the wallpaper, but the glue would not budge at all. Had to re wallpaper until the day comes to totally re-skin the walls and make them look like they should look.

aah924
10-03-2004, 11:49 AM
I also have a '72 and was thinking about something to lighten it up. It just seems too dark in there, for me. Do you have any pics. of what you did, as this is the direction that I was thinking.....

Allen

Surfdancer45
10-04-2004, 11:52 AM
Here is one more vote for keeping the wood interior. I have a 1970 which has mahogany panels. I refinished the panels with a lighter stain and satin poly finish and that helped a lot. This year I changed the headliner to a lighter color and went with overhead recessed lights and rope lights behind the window valance boards. What a difference, at night the interior almost sparkles even wih the satin poly finish. If you you have water stained panels or trim try bleaching with stright clorox, that did the job for me. Good luck. Bob

34Hatt
10-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Well I am with Double Eagle my boat the wood was hammered 33 years of abuse when I got it. Was also looking to modernize it any way, no matter what these boat are great, but things have changed and there is ways of making them even better. So since I had to do changes I decided to go with Formica and wood trim that way I keep the closet doors and drawers which I was able to save. Problem came with the original back doors so decide to try the veneer on a roll was $60 thought at the time it was pricey but it was worth every dollar then some. It was easy to work with and LOOKS great if you have any walls that are in bad shape and you want wood go with the veneer its like 1/16 thick, stains ands polyurethanes just like everything else. I even was able to bend it around the edge so there was no seem, didn't think at first it would bend but after you apply the glue it bends easy.
Dan

Scott Mather
10-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Keep the wood, some other areas for lightening up the interior on our 1978 37' Hat:
Changed all of the brown and black counter and dash
laminate to off white, this changed the look of the whole
boat, and added a fiddle rail at the same time around the
galley counters. Also brightened up the interior alot.
Also changed out the carpet to a lighter color and recovered the salon upholstery to lighter colors.
The boat still has all of the original teak and wood "charm" but looks light years newer.
Also did the rope light behind the valance trick, this made a huge difference.
Made one other change to salon, removed the lower station and added a breakfast counter with two bar stools, used the same laminate and teak trim as in the rest of the salon. (Big improvement to livability of 37' sport-fish salon, and loss of lower station in this boat was no big deal, visibility from lower station was very poor in the first place.

Walter Pereira
10-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Interesting comments about Hatteras interiors. I also can't understand why some folks paint or wallpaper over teak(afromosia). Last year I bought another Hatteras MY (1982 48) and it had a good deal of wallpaper and Awlgrip on the interior. I must say that it was a good quality job ---- but inside a Hatteras? Since we were going to re-do the galley and dinette anyway, we figured that it would be restorable. Well we figured wrong. When we removed the wallpaper, we found that the wood had been so screwed up with the glue and paint remnants and that it was stained beyond practical restoration so we decided to re-veneer it. I used afromosia veneer and new afromosia ply for new doors as well as new solid teak for all the trim. The finish was done in satin polyurathane. We also did the floor (sole) in the galley, dinette and fwd stateroom in teak and holly. It was a lot of work, but the result was worth it.

p.s. Sam's marine can get the new afromosia

Walt

GCombos
10-06-2004, 10:38 PM
If the goal is to keep the boat in it's original condition, then covering up all that matched grain teak paneling is senseless.
If trying to give the boat an updated look and feel without springing for a new Hatteras, the current trend is to lighten up the interior. In my case, the smallish interior of the 36 really benefits from lightening the walls, removing the galley out of the salon, etc., etc.
Gives the salon a much larger feel. There's enough teak and aphromosia trim throughout the interior that if retained, will create a pleasant blend of both worlds.

antiqua7hotmailcom
10-14-2004, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the heads up - Ordered the Headliner from Defender and got it yesterday, A Perfect match to the Original Headliner....This is a Great sight....Cap. KEN

captwoodyb
10-18-2004, 02:23 PM
Hi Looking for a headliner for 1972 53 MY. You mentioned defender. Do you have any additional contact information? Thanks, please respond to woody@charteryacht.com

Soffer
10-18-2004, 02:33 PM
You can go to their website at www.defender.com

jim rosenthal
10-18-2004, 09:42 PM
Interesting comments...I think one of the reasons you buy a Hatteras is the vintage look of the wood interior. Period Bertrams were mostly Formica and light-colored stuff inside and they looked like cheap motels...not my taste. I've kept the wood, refinished it where needed, and lightened up the rest with light fabrics and brighter lighting fixtures.
At this year's Annapolis Show I toured one Hatteras, the 50C, which had no portholes, no natural light other than one or two hatches up front, and the heads were all mirrored. Worse than ugly....ironically the Vicem express yacht had a dark interior that had everyone drooling and would have done credit to a vintage Hatteras. I think more traditional yacht-style decorating will make a comeback, which should make us all happy because once again our boats will be in style...or maybe they never left:lol

mikep996
10-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Agree 100 percent with Jim R and all the other "keep the wood" folks. We also immediately rejected any 53MY in our search that had the wood covered/painted. I admit we agreed to CONSIDER making a possible exception ONLY in the galley and then ONLY if the rest of the boat/wood was in excellent condition. As it turned out, we didn't make that exception.

The currently "trendy" boat is an embarrasment in 10 years. Anybody buying teal-colored cars nowadays? You can't go wrong with a white or black car. The traditional look in boats is the same idea - it always looks right no matter what the current fad may be.

Speaking of that, I saw the new "small" Hatt MY - can't remember if it's a 61 or 63 - recently. I kept looking for the "Designed by Carver" sticker. It has to be there somewhere.

PascalG
10-22-2004, 12:22 PM
speaking of cars, how about the rotten mustard color which came out a couple of years ago... must be harder to resale than teal.

even in the galley, that wood is nice!! In the master, I
m going to remove the very 70ish greenish pattern curtains and install some horizontal blinds... that's goign to make the room brighter.

2 questions... the companionway between the engine room is white in my boat. was that standard or was is repainted at some point. Past the door, the companionway by the heads is natural wood...

also, Venneers have been mentioned her before but how hard are they to work with? it's my understanding that they are apply with glue, almost like wall paper, is that right? Reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of refinishing the top surfaces of the helm, area surrounding the helm and also the little a/c/ cabinet in the rear of the salon and though nicely varnished dark veneer woudl be much nicer than the original materials?

pascal
70 53MY

BEC53
10-22-2004, 06:49 PM
All of the 53MYs I've seen have the light wallpaper or paint in the hallway between the engine rooms. My 1985 has a light tan textured wallpaper there with wood door aft and wood steps fwd.

Walter Pereira
10-23-2004, 01:24 AM
Regarding how difficult to "re-veneer", it really depends on your level of patience and attention to detail. As with most jobs the thoroughness of the preperation dictates the result. I have done most of the interior on my 1982, 48' MY (which was painted with Awlgrip no less(great job but not inside] and what was not painted was wall papered) the result is beautiful and I suspect that most of the folks using this site are capable craftsmen. Talk to Steve McPhearson at Sam's about getting you the materials.... You won't be sorry.

The traditional "Hatteras" ride is well known, but I suspect that the beautiful wood interiors probably sold as many boats as the structural quality. As Hatteras owners we got both, looks and quality. Should be a penalty for screwing them up.

Walt....:rollin