PDA

View Full Version : batteries/on a 1973/ 43ft

Trojan
07-27-2004, 10:04 AM
Where are the batteries located and what voltage are they.I am looking at a 1973 43ft with 671s DD.The bats have been removed and I don't have a clue to where they go or what they are.Bill

wshelton
07-27-2004, 11:54 AM
On my 80 mod. aft cabin there are 2 banks of 12 volt D batteries located between the engines which are also DD 671s. Hope that may help you This area is between two stingers too.

spartonboat1
07-29-2004, 01:35 AM
I have seen 43's with batteries in two locations:
1) In the early 70's, e.g. as on my 1972 43', they are four 8D's located in fore/aft pairs outboard of each main engine. In later models, I have seen them inboard of the mains, below the salon hatch. Hard to get at on the outside, but out of the way. Easy to reach inboard, but in the way...whatever.

Look for white fiberglas battery boxes with loose covers as the giveaway. They are fiberglas bonded in placed, so chances are they are still in place. Best bet is that they are outboard of the engines.

They are not too difficult to replace, which can be a problem per other posts.

Jaxfishgyd
07-30-2004, 12:03 AM
I have a 1973 43' DCMY and my batteries are located on the outside of the engines. And it is NOT fun to replace them.
I hired two teenagers 3 years ago (strong backs and weak minds) and the money was well spent. I had tried to do it myself and I still have backpain from it.
It's a major hassle to check the water levels as I have to move two panals to get to each bank. But I do it on a monthly basis.
I did put a 5th battery in, just for the generator but it's in a realistic location so checking it is very easy.
But the fact it's a Hatteras makes it all worth while....

Trojan
07-30-2004, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the info.I had thought they were hard to find and service.I'm still trying to get one baught,but the seller is slow to deal.I think its a who will hold off the longest on the price.Bill

spartonboat1
07-31-2004, 01:04 PM
Yes, must admit we Hatt types get color blind...the outboard batts are difficult to reach. I was referencing other Hatts which I hear are truly difficult.

The 8D weighs in at 145 #'s or so, so is not a one man job. I did make up a rig to ease the job. I bought a strap that has fittings on each end that drop over each post. The fittings snug up when lift is applied.

I made up a rope sling that was tied to the batt strap. One guy down in the engine room and one up on the salon and it went reasonable well. Let's say better than on a previous occasion, when it was all brute force by me and a son.

I may yet go to a couple double block pulleys with a wooden sawhorse type arrangement that would be easier yet. A blown back is like a diamond...it is forever, so planning and rigs are best.

Finally, I may bite the bullet and consider some of the newer, longer lasting, gel or other batts. Rolls Royce also makes a battery size that will fit two batts into the case that holds an 8D. Think I've seen posts before about that.

P.s., I also intend to install a battery dedicated to the genset. I have an inverter, so I am just covering my risk of pulling down the mains batts two far. Also, I usually block heat, so I start the genny first, to ensure I have power to run the heaters, before I start the mains.

Great Lakes boater...

Walter Pereira
08-04-2004, 12:28 AM
Re: Battery locations on 43 MY's.... Over the last 25 yrs or so I have had several Hatt's, Two were 43's . One was a 1973 with 6/71 JT's and the other a 1980 with 6/71 ti's. The 73 model had the batteries outboard of the engines (2 ea side) and the 80 had all 4 in the center between the engines.

I moved the water pump and hot water heater from the platform forward of the Stb engine to the Port side of the boat where the port batteries formally resided and thereby allowed me to reinstall the 4 fibreglass battery boxes in the new space previously occupied by the water systems. Balance was perfect as the weight of the batteries was approx 600 lbs, but half was almost centered with the keel and the other half moved about a foot closer to the keel. The difference in weight distribution was perfectly balanced by the new location of the hot water htr and pump.

Years later when I bought the 80 model with the centered batteries, I quickly realized that they were really in my way between the engines so I reversed by decision and moved them outboard much like the original 73 had. The access problem was solved by cutting the outboard engine access hatches in half and reframing both halfs and cutting and edge binding the carpet to correspond with the new hatch size. I wish I would have thought of doing the hatch thing 25 years ago, as it would have been a lot less work. Access through the shortened hatches was fine even for me and I a 6'6" tall and weigh 235 lbs. Good luck... Walt

spartonboat1
08-04-2004, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the note on the half hatch...will give that some real thought.

Great Lakes boater w/a 43'.

hATTISFACTION
08-05-2004, 09:54 AM
the 42C I purchased last fall had been previously owned by a gentleman that was an electrician and he did a lot of nice upgrades to the wiring in the boat.
One in particular was that he put the four 8D batteries
out in the cockpit instead of along side the main engines.
The surveyor was impressed having done quite a few 42 and 43 surveys and after doing work on the engines this past year I find the arrangement great. The additional room in the engine compartment is fantastic, no battery
gases in the engine room,and the lost room in the cockpit
is not a big deal at all as there is still plenty of room for the four storage containers I put out there for miscelaneous items. Changing/servicing the batteries is also a LOT easier. I can still remember how happy the mechanics were when I had all four 8d's replaced when I bought the boat and they found out that they did not have to put them outboard of the main engines where they were originally.Battery charger is still in the main engine room and wires run out to the batteries.

Jaxfishgyd
12-18-2004, 06:28 PM
After reading about relocating the hot water heater and water pump, I pulled my hatches and see that it IS a "do-able" idea. And a good one.

That would make checking my batteries a lot easier, and it's time to AGAIN replace them (it has been 4 years).

But at the moment, the ADMIRAL has me pulling all the carpeting out of the saloon. (I want to put down a wood floor, SHE wants to just paint it and put down throw rugs, as we have 4 young grandkids who visit OFTEN).

Our boat has a bit of a list to port and moving the batteries could help balance out the boat....

jim rosenthal
12-18-2004, 09:09 PM
...the same things come up again and again...they are valuable criticisms of the original designs. No boat is perfect, and the whole battery location thing is a good example of how they aren't.
I moved the batteries on my 36C out under the aft deck, in the cockpit (well, under it). I had to go from 8Ds to 4Ds to get them in there. On the vintage 36C, the batteries were in fiberglass boxes bonded to the stringers ahead of the engines. I needed to move weight aft to retrim the boat after we repowered her.
I would have rather had 8Ds but there isn't enough room for them. I was JUST able to get two Blue Seas cases side by side in the area just behind the aft bulkhead. These are the best battery cases I have ever seen, if you have to buy battery cases. I removed one of the Hatteras boxes and left the other one in as storage. My genset battery also sits in there (Gr 24).
Tom Slane has redone two 36C and in at least one they took up the entire aft deck, put in one transverse fuel tank instead of the two longitudinal ones, put in a removeable fish box that gives unparalleled access to the rudder and steering gear, etc. If I were doing this, I would put the batteries out there and build in a hatch big enough to R&R three 8Ds. THAT would be perfect. What I have now isn't perfect, but the batteries do better out of the engine room, and they are much easier to take in and out.
I think Rolls batteries are overpriced, although they are pretty good. Are they three to five times better than others? I don't think so. Best batteries I have had were Trojans; I would get those and save some money. If you have a good charger and religiously check the water, they'll last quite a while.

PascalG
12-19-2004, 02:51 PM
as i mentioned in an other thread, at some point in the past a previous owner replaced the originl batteries on my 53my with exide 8volt golf carts batteries. I replaced one bank a few months ago, and the second one last week. 4 batteries eah side, about 60 lbs each so it's no problem do do alone. i got them from a local golf cart shop, $320 delivered.. per bank... not per battery :-)

stickers on the one I removed indicated they were about 4 1/2 years old.. not bad considering the price and the fact that when i got the boat the top of plates were dry.

plenty of cranking punch for the 8V71s... i once had to crank way too long after a filter change and the batteries handled it fine.

i love the price and the compact size. from the original battery box I see, they are half the size.

pascal
miami, fl
1970 53my

jim rosenthal
12-19-2004, 03:45 PM
..I wish I could have fit these in, they do come in 6v and two per side would have been great. I could not get a battery box to fit and didn't want to use a homemade one. Golf cart batteries are very touch, they are meant to be discharged FLAT and they recharged and handle it fine as long as you keep the water up, which should be done with any battery. I would use them in a minute if they could fit in the restricted space I have. Too bad. And they are a good deal.