PDA

View Full Version : Fix or Replace Generator in 1976 Hatteras DC

FreestyleBruce
08-20-2004, 10:59 AM
I have a 28 year old Onan 7.5 KW MDJE with 3,200 hours. The starter went bad a few months ago and I had it rebuilt but it went bad again. A new starter has to be engineered to fit and it looks like that will run $1,500 for prts and labor. When running it puts out about 108 volts but other than a small leak at the fuel pump it runs loud and proud.

I am at the cross roads. Should I fix what I have or bite the bullet and replace?

I am not made of money but am leaning towards replacement. Any recommendations and estimates for cost? It is in a 1976 Hatteras DC located forward of the port engine. The boat is in Tampa.

Thanks for your insight.

Bruce

67hat34c
08-20-2004, 11:47 AM
i would recommend you look at e bay. there are always parts for sale. put in key word ONAN and hit the search all catagories.

you may consider a new one and sell the old one on e bay. suspect you would get about 1500 or more for yours. i have been watching them on e bay and they realy bring a surprising amount of money esp if they run. even ones that dont run bring big $$.

if you decide on a new one , i like the westerbeke. search the net, you will be surprised how much price varies. also around boat show time the prices drop.

good luck.

Bob Bradley
08-20-2004, 03:55 PM
with the Koehler 8.0. Should run me about $6500 - 7000. If you can wait til then, I'll sell you my freshly rebuilt starter a lot cheaper than that price.

BTW, there is a starter that is not original, but bolts on just fine. Unfortunately, it's already installed, and no way could I see the numbers on it now. I swear they built my boat around the starter.

I know its not original, as the ears of the starter have 6-pt holes for 1/2" head (5/16" bolt) captive nuts, but those holes align with a 3/8" threaded hole on the mounting bracket. Obviously, you cannot screw a hex bolt into the threaded brackett if the head has to set into a captive hole. I got around that little problem by drilling out the threads on the mounting bracket using a 5/16" bolt thru the bracket from the front, and a locknut in the captive nut hole.

jim rosenthal
08-21-2004, 12:49 AM
and we have Forum members who have had good luck with Kohlers, Westerbekes and Northern Lights. Also NextGen. I think any of those, properly installed and maintained, will take good care of you. Incidentally, Northern Lights dealers have an excellent video on genset installation called "Don't Drown Me", which is worth watching since all installations differ a little.

FreeestyleBruce
12-18-2004, 02:00 PM
I thought I would complete the thread.

I shopped the boat shows and decided to go with a 9.0kw Onan purchased at the Ft. lauderdale boat show for $8,200 with the sound shield, muffler and harness.

The boat show price was $2,500 less than the pre-hurricane local price. The local guy stepped up and sold for the boat show price even though he was not an exhibitor and technically eligible for the factory support. (I am not sure what went on behind the scenes.)

Labor for pulling (and keeping) the old one and installing the new came to $1,800. According to the dockmaster's log, 3 guys worked for 30 hours. They did a beautiful job and worked at my marina without complaint from anyone. (John Burke--Tarpon Springs, FL)

The new generator runs quieter than my air handler. I never stayed on the hook much before because of the noise. That is going to change!!!

Bruce

jim rosenthal
12-18-2004, 09:21 PM
...for the feedback and glad things worked out well for you. New is good, as they say.

Genesis
12-19-2004, 01:13 PM
... I put a Kohler 8EOZ in my 45C to replace a failed Onan 8kw.

It now has roughly 800 hours on it, and maintenance has consisted of oil and fuel filters every 150 hours, checking the H/E zinc every three months and changing it when required, and just this last week, a new air filter element.

It has an optional pre-heat kit available - the glow plugs are there, the switch is missing. I opted not to buy it. It has never needed it, even in 30F ambient temperatures.

Dick
12-19-2004, 08:56 PM
We've read here many times how important it is to keep the load on the gen up to 60-80% of capacity. I have trouble doing that particularly as the battery charger "ramps down."

Is there any resistive load (other than three or four heaters) that could be permanently wired such that the electronics could sense the normal load, then automatically add to it to push to the 60-80% capacity?

Dick

seacolt
12-19-2004, 09:09 PM
I just removed a 15 kw from my 1976 46c, I'm sure it was original. Why so big? Still trying to decide on the size. Leaning toward a 12 KW northern lights. But wondering if its to big.

jim rosenthal
12-20-2004, 12:00 AM
...Alaska Diesel Electric web site, they have a form you can use to figure out what size genset you need. Lots of folks buy too big a genset and then have problems with it running too lightly loaded. 12kw tops for that boat, I think, what's the concensus?

67hat34c
12-20-2004, 11:20 AM
I notice the commercial fishing boats and shrimp boats tend to leave their flood lights on even in the day time. Wonder if they are doing this to load the gen.

Dick
12-20-2004, 02:29 PM
I have a 12KW and have trouble getting it much over 6-8. That's even with turning a couple 1500W heaters on which I have to do even in the summer. If and when it fails, I'll replace with an 8KW unit. I might not be able to run everything at the same time, but at least it'll be loaded.

Dick