PDA

View Full Version : Turbo wash

chris piazza
01-10-2008, 09:07 PM
I was on another site when I came across the comment below on how to clean your Turbo. I thought it was terrible advice, I would think that any introduction of water into an injector would blow the tip right off! I used to have problems with my turbo blades getting gunked up but nothing after I installed the Racor CCV. The guy even went on to say that it was endorsed by Tony Athens. I will give a hint on the site, the guy was talking about a 250Hino. Has anybody ever heard of this!

"Turbo wash --Motor is fully warmed up and air cleaner is off engine so you have easy access to the turbo inlet. Set the boat to a reasonable cruise rpm range under load before introducing any liquid. Using a spray bottle set for a fine mist spray a mixture of 1 oz Joy or Dawn mixed with 8 oz of distilled water (stirred not shaken) over the course of 2-4 minutes or so. Follow this up with a spray of 6 oz. of distilled water over half the time. Repeat on the other engine if so equipped. This will help clean the turbo compressor, intercooler, carbon, and turbo turbine wheels of the engine. You should note a lower pyro temp. and increase in turbo boost as a result. "

Chris
Superior Nights 53C

Jaxfishgyd
01-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Another reason I only have 6-71 naturals....
Simple is good

MikeP
01-10-2008, 09:26 PM
At least into the mid 70's, this procedure (more or less) was listed in US Army maintainance manuals for turbocharger cleaning on Army vehicles and I have seen it done. Whether it is still in the manuals, I have no idea. It's scary to watch.

SKYCHENEY
01-10-2008, 09:29 PM
They put those 250 Hinos in the 43 Bayliner in the early 90's. No wonder he gave that advice. He's a Bayliner owner.

Seriously, the water and soap would travel through the air passages and not the injectors, so don't worry about that. As long as you didn't get too much in there at once, the water vapor would not be a problem. The stuff it might dislodge, however, could be a real problem.

Genesis
01-10-2008, 09:39 PM
DO NOT DO THIS ON A DETROIT!

This would liquify (steam-clean) the sludge in the airbox.

If there is a material amount of "crap" in there, it would likely liberate it, which would then be aspirated into the cylinders and play sandpaper with the cylinder walls!

If you want to clean a turbo, pull the air side housing and clean it with brake cleaner (warning - those fumes are harmful and some types are EXPLOSIVE; in addition, the stuff strips paint!)

Aftercoolers and intercoolers are properly cleaned by removing them from the boat.

This procedure, by the way, works fine on most 4-stroke turbocharged engines, as they don't have an airbox that collects gunk.

chris piazza
01-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Oh I had no intention of doing it! The old fashion way is good enough for me. Just the thought of that crap that breaks loose and going upstream has got to wreak something!

Chris
Superior Nights 53C

BUSTER
01-11-2008, 09:14 AM
DO NOT DO THIS ON A DETROIT!

This would liquify (steam-clean) the sludge in the airbox.

If there is a material amount of "crap" in there, it would likely liberate it, which would then be aspirated into the cylinders and play sandpaper with the cylinder walls!

If you want to clean a turbo, pull the air side housing and clean it with brake cleaner (warning - those fumes are harmful and some types are EXPLOSIVE; in addition, the stuff strips paint!)

Aftercoolers and intercoolers are properly cleaned by removing them from the boat.

This procedure, by the way, works fine on most 4-stroke turbocharged engines, as they don't have an airbox that collects gunk.

True...because any bits of broken compression rings that may lie in that "mud" may travel through the engine again,causing more problems.

Tony Athens
01-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Chris,

Without getting into the "good advise-bad" advice thing, I’ll offer you a couple on things to ponder...

(1) spraying water into the intake of any diesel engine has nothing to do with injectors.

(2) If you read the attached, maybe you will understand a little more about just how much water is being sucked into your engine in any given day..

(3) Maybe just "an old wives" tail", but if you read like I do you will find many instances where many line-haul truckers swear that after driving thru a squall, their trucks run cleaner and stronger.. Any truth to it ??

(4) Direct water injection ( and lot’s of it) in WWII vintage aircraft "BIG RECIPS" was the only way to keep them from melt down in overload conditions, besides allowing increased power..

(5) For sure, all I know about the particulars of a Detroit is that you can shoot them w/ a couple of 50 cal. armor piercing rounds and they will come back for more.. Could spraying a few ounces of water thru the intake take them out ??--I sure hope not--- Maybe the NAZIs should have been using squirt guns instead of lead ??

Just for giggles and grins.........................

Tony

BUSTER
01-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Decarbonizing pistons and valves by injecting water into the intake is a time honored method of cleaning out combustion chambers in gas and diesel engines. It was especially useful with naturally aspirated Cummins 903's. They recirculated their crankcase emissions through ports in the heads via the intake valves. If the engine was idled for extensive periods,sometimes upon re-start it would act as if it had a burnt valve.In reality it was carbon build-up compromising the valve seat seal.Most of the time squirting a bit of water into the intake at high RPM would cure it. Tony

Genesis
01-12-2008, 02:08 PM
You're absolutely right Tony, but this was advice to try to intentionally clean the system out by spraying a fairly large amount of liquid water down the intake.

That's fine, but.... where does all the crap go?

Well, it goes through the engine, right?

And for a bit of carbon here and there, that's not a big deal. Nor for oil, really.

The problem is that many Detroits, especially those that have ever suffered an exhaust leak, have really NASTY carbon+oil deposits in the airbox that feel a lot like 80 grit sandpaper in your fingers. Oily sandpaper.

If you blast that with steam (which is exactly what this is going to do - the air coming out of a turbo compressor under load can be in the neighborhood of 300F; that's going to flash-boil the water spray you introduce) it is going to have the exact same impact as taking a steam cleaning wand to the surface.

It will clean it very, very well. The problem is where all that "gunk" that you clean goes - it goes into the cylinders, passes a combustion cycle, and out the exhaust.

If the build up is significant, and you liberate it "all at once", there is a significant risk of getting a big fat CHUNK of that crap into a cylinder through one of the ports. That would be bad!

This is a perfectly-good procedure in most engines (and it works) but doing it in Detroit is problematic for that reason.

John Dickson
01-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Could you please explain where the air boxes are on my 671 TIs, that is where you can inspect the rings and perform a boroscope correct? I presume the air box is downstream of the turbo before the block. Is it one box for all cylinders or separate for each. Is it accessed from the outboard side of the engine? Sure wish I could find a manual that actually detailed my 671s :-(

krush
01-13-2008, 11:19 AM
If your compressor is gunked up that much, you probably have tons of crap elsewhere in the intake track and a little dawn may just be a placebo.

Brian Degulis
01-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Could you please explain where the air boxes are on my 671 TIs, that is where you can inspect the rings and perform a boroscope correct? I presume the air box is downstream of the turbo before the block. Is it one box for all cylinders or separate for each. Is it accessed from the outboard side of the engine? Sure wish I could find a manual that actually detailed my 671s :-(

http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/detroitdiesel/

Brian

John Dickson
01-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks Brian!

I believe I already have the 71 series inline manual. It is very generic and shows no pictures of my 671 TIs. Its seems to bemmore of a generic diesel service manual discussing broader service areas inspite of it containing many pages. Does anyone know if there is a manual that is specific to the 671s?

BUSTER
01-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Look along the side of the block under the head and you will see the tin covers for the airbox. Tony

Brian Degulis
01-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks Brian!

I believe I already have the 71 series inline manual. It is very generic and shows no pictures of my 671 TIs. Its seems to bemmore of a generic diesel service manual discussing broader service areas inspite of it containing many pages. Does anyone know if there is a manual that is specific to the 671s?

You should take a better look at that manuel yes it covers 2 3 4 and 6 71 that's because they are the same in many respects and what difrences there are will be noted. 71 denotes the CI per cylinder and the # before it 2,3,4,6 denotes the # of cylinders.

Brian