PDA

View Full Version : Anyone installed pool lights on transom/ swim platform?

akintosyali
01-04-2008, 10:26 AM
So the powerfull (500W) underwater boat lights are are $1000. Well, 500 W pool lights are $120. Just because it is made for a boat the price is 800% higher. I don't get it.

Has anyone installed pool lights on their transoms / trim tabs / or swim platform supports?

I got a few PMs for the 500 W pool light at this price - here is the link:
http://www.google.com/products?client=opera&rls=en&q=500+pool+light&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&um=1&lnk=pruser&price1=100&price2=130&btnP=Go

ThirdHatt
01-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Akin, you must remember that a pool light does not havbe to withstand the harsh marine environment. Those pool lights are no good for salt water!

Why not buy the underwater LED lights from Abyss? They are near the price of the old school pool light yet are designed for the marine environment. They look good and will NOT burn out on you, and won't rust away!

Liquid Asset
01-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Dont most pool lights just screw in a hole that is cut in the concrete of a pool? I would be concerned that they woud not be waterproof and would not be safe from the stanpoint of keeping you from sinking.

Roscoe
01-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Is underwater LED lighting similar to fiber-optic pool lighting?

I note that LED lights are attached to the boat but are not thru-hulls. Is there a strip-light fiber-optic made for marine? The pool fiber-optic is very nice.

yachtbrokerguy
01-04-2008, 12:20 PM
I was captain on a 65' motor yacht back in the mid 90's before we had many of the thruhull lights available today. We had a pool light mounted on the transom below the water line. The light itself was in a housing that was made of fiberglass, basically the shape of a 5 gallon bucket, and it was screwed to the hull. There were holes in the housing to keep it full of water and keep the light cooled. The power line came above the water line before it went inside the boat, so there were no holes through the hull below the water line.

Tucker Fallon

akintosyali
01-04-2008, 12:44 PM
That is what i was envisioning as well (pool light on a bracket). I plan to put no new holes on the transom. The pool lights got to be waterproof! Yes they do install on a housing on the conrete wall, but they should be protected from water anyway.

I could install the light on a solid aluminum bracket mounted either to the transom or the trim tabs. (even on the swim platform supports)

I actually like the trim tab idea, as you can point the lights straight back or down at an angle for further fun...

Pascal
01-04-2008, 03:03 PM
most pool stuff is stainless steel... does anyone think than pool chlorine is less harsh than salt ?

BUSTER
01-04-2008, 03:38 PM
I believe in inovative ideas,let us know how it turns out. Tony

Bob Bradley
01-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Do you know anybody with a Searay that we can experiment on?

SKYCHENEY
01-04-2008, 04:02 PM

The wiring is not heavy enough on a SR to run a 500 watt light :D

Bob Bradley
01-04-2008, 05:08 PM
You have to admit it would be the brightest thing on board.

Pascal
01-04-2008, 06:18 PM

careful, the transom will not be able to cope with the weight :-)