PDA

View Full Version : Window Glass

egaito
12-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Looking for sources in Miami, or Lauderdale for replacement glass. Sam's was kind enough to give me the description/brand, but doesn't offer the part.

Any ideas? CaptNed, you mentioned you knew of a place at one time, no?

Thanks,

-Ed G.

Captned
12-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey Ed,

It was a shop here in Miami Beach, called....

Twin City Glass Co
1220 16th St
Miami Beach, FL 33139

(305) 673-2967

They got me the glass for my side windows when I broke them. Cut them to fit too.... Not cheap, if I remember correctly. I think any good glass store in town could get what you need....

Captned
78 46 CON

SKYCHENEY
12-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Any glass shop will have that OEM solex tint laminated glass. If they don't, I'm sure they can have have in a day or two.

Angela
12-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Found replacement glass. I used clear, laminated glass and cost was around $200 (it was a big window requiring a glass of about 46" x 38"). I did not go back to the OEM Solex for a couple of reasons. First, it's three times the price of clear glass. The glass experts tell me Solex is a brand and a particular blue-green color; other than that, it's nothing special except pricey. Also, my glass has a black privacy film on it so that you can't see in, but you can see out and it does an incredible job of reducing the heat in the summer. The glass folks said that once I put the black film on the window, it won't matter whether it's clear or blue-green tint, so I didn't spend the $$ for the designer brand glass since I am going to put the film back on it anyway. And...they made it while I waited, saving me a second trip back to Hialeah.

I guess NOW is the time to get busy picking out all the wool pile and glides and refurbishing that stuff while the glass is out. Those old glides just crumble in my fingertips

SKYCHENEY
12-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Wow. My glass shop only charged be about $50 each for the Solex for my sliders ($200 to do both sides in the salon). I guess I got a deal. He didn't have to order it and I think the stuff had been sitting there in his shop for quite a while. Maybe he just wanted to get rid of it.

Good luck with the fuzzies. Sometimes it goes well and other times it really gets frustrating. If it just comes out in tiny pieces, you may have to take a break once in a while and come back to it later. It will come out, but it may test your resolve. Don't let it win. :)

Angela
12-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Sky, that was a GREAT DEAL on your windows! For me, you gotta remember to factor in the "Miami" cost - everything here is more expensive that most anywhere else, even if I did go all the way out to Hialeah to get it. I suspect my salon slider will cost less. The aft deck slider a big one - the biggest one on the boat. My arms were killing me the next day just from carrying that beast down the dock. I was quite pleased when Pascal showed up when I got back with the new glass and carried it down to the boat for me. Thanks Pascal!

SKYCHENEY
12-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Ahh, the aft deck slider. Those are much bigger. Maybe $200 wasn't that bad. Did they flame the edges nice and smooth for you?

Angela
12-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Ahh, the aft deck slider. Those are much bigger. Maybe $200 wasn't that bad. Did they flame the edges nice and smooth for you?

Yes, they did!

Starman
12-24-2007, 10:03 PM
The glass color is Coca Cola Green. Like the old coke bottles. This is what was standard color on the Hats.

If you plan to tint the windows, then by all means go with a clear glass to save a couple bucks.

COWSskateGOOD
12-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Years ago, we had redone all of the windows in our 34' Hat and we used Ocean Dynamics in Miami, we had it freighted to MD. Great product, very similar to the originals, great quality.

Angela
12-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Just spent HOURS picking the fuzz out of the tracks in one window frame, at times with tweezers. First you pick out the fibers, and then you dig out the spine it was once attached to. :( :( Rarely, did they come out together.

Then, the glides....well, they crumble into little splinters, so all of those have to be dug out tediously.

For installing new fuzz and glides, I see a LOT of SailKote in my future...and tweezers.

The whole time I was pulling my hair out while pulling out the fuzz, fiber by fiber, I was day dreaming about fixed windows and how I'd never have to do this again....nah...this is just one of those things that has to be done every now and then. The trick is not to let the fuzz and glides get so sun-baked, dry rotted that they just turn to dust when you start working with them. Hey, I've only had the boat almost 2 years...I didn't let it get like that!

yachtsmanbill
12-25-2007, 07:08 PM
You need to get yourself a 4 piece finesse wood chisel set. That stuff will scrape right out with a vacuum to follow. ws

Starman
12-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Guess I should have told you about dental picks.

You buy them at most hardware or tool stores.

Now go get a set and use them to clean the track the pile was in. new pile will slide right in, but is much easier to have some one feed it while you pull the other end with a pair of needle nose pliers.

The bottom glide actually snaps in a channel in the frame.

These materials are very cheap and can be purchased at any glass shop. I used to buy rolls of this stuff for about 30 bucks.

Full Moon
12-26-2007, 10:19 AM
My frames are so corroded they are beyond repair so I'm going to replace them with one piece windows. I've been in contact with Jimmy Watts but I'm trying to find someone locally to do the job. What kind of glass is best? I don't think I want to go with real glass because the side window on my 41 Conv. is 9 ft long. What about Lexan? I can special order a 4X10 piece and naturally the window is 29 inches tall so I can't cut two from one piece.

chuck@waterwaysystems.com
12-26-2007, 03:13 PM
We have furnished the 9' long windows for a 41' in the past with a vertical separator in the middle of the window. This adds some vertical support to the frame and vessel, while splitting the window into two lites of glass. Replacing a lite will be less expensive, and easier to handle during install.

The advantages of using glass over plastic: Glass does not scratch as easily. Glass is not susceptable to cleaners and solvents that will mar the plastics surface. Glass will last much longer, especially in a harsh solar environment.

Fanfare
12-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Lexan is highly impact resistant, but unfortunately very easily scratched. Particularly by salt crystals. I had a panel in my center windshield which became unusable in any sort of direct sun after only two years because of the refracted glare.