PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about this yacht?

Hat43
09-18-2007, 03:34 PM
Can anyone provide me with information about this yacht:
http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatFullDetails.jsp?currency=USD&units=Feet&currencyid=100&boat_id=1535095&ybw=&units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=12064&url=

neosin
09-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Well first thing it seems to float? That's a good start? LOL

900 hours on a 13 year old boat IMHO makes her a dock queen (70 hours a year = 5.7 hours a month yea it's a dock queen ). Other than that looks like a great boat. Maybe a little high i think better deals are to be had right now. Wait 1-3 months and your have guys begging for buyers.

Capt.Erich
09-19-2007, 05:31 AM
Well first thing it seems to float? That's a good start? LOL

900 hours on a 13 year old boat IMHO makes her a dock queen (70 hours a year = 5.7 hours a month yea it's a dock queen ). Other than that looks like a great boat. Maybe a little high i think better deals are to be had right now. Wait 1-3 months and your have guys begging for buyers.

Actually, if you read the details the STB enigne has 900 hrs SMOH...

"The Starboard engine was rebuilt and the Port engine gone over by Covington Detroit Diesel prior to embarking on the Great Loop trip last year and have received constant care and maintenance by her watchful owner. Full records available. Approximately 900 hours SMOH on Starboard and 2075 Total Hours on this vessel."

Having done the "Great Loop" I wouldn't consider her a "dock queen". She has a lot of miles under her keel. 900 hrs in a year not 13 years. She was only averaging less than 100 hours a year prior to her Great Loop cruise. That's not an unreasonable amount of hours. She was obviously used quite a bit.

I think her price is a good starting point but the survey will surely give you some bargaining points and the fact that the PT engine hasn't been rebuilt and will probably need it in the near future. I would make a lower offer subject to survey and specifiy a DD Mechanical Survey. With 2000+ hours on the PT engine there is high probablity that it needs majored.

The other factors to consider is how long the boat has been on the market? Boats of that size and price range are sitting on the market for quite some time. If you have a smaller boat to trade you might throw that into the mix as well. Some owners are desperate to get out and will consider a smaller boat as it will typically sell easier. The broker is advertising a $70K reduction in price. The seller could be getting pinched financially and needs to get out.

(Nobody You Know)
09-19-2007, 07:02 AM
She stopped over at Dataw Island Marina near Beaufort, SC in March 2006. Owners were completing last leg of the "Loop". Home schooling two children along the way. I remember them telling me that they were taking her to Baltimore, MD to put on the market (why Baltimore I'll never know).

At that time she certainly was a good looking boat. Hope they didn't hit bottom or anything on the run north.

doc g
09-19-2007, 09:53 AM
It needs to have 300k taken off the ask price and a cockpit added. Nice boat other than that. Of course you could look at Carl Guzman's boat also..................................Pat

neosin
09-19-2007, 02:12 PM
Actually, if you read the details the STB enigne has 900 hrs SMOH...

"The Starboard engine was rebuilt and the Port engine gone over by Covington Detroit Diesel prior to embarking on the Great Loop trip last year and have received constant care and maintenance by her watchful owner. Full records available. Approximately 900 hours SMOH on Starboard and 2075 Total Hours on this vessel."

Having done the "Great Loop" I wouldn't consider her a "dock queen". She has a lot of miles under her keel. 900 hrs in a year not 13 years. She was only averaging less than 100 hours a year prior to her Great Loop cruise. That's not an unreasonable amount of hours. She was obviously used quite a bit.

I think her price is a good starting point but the survey will surely give you some bargaining points and the fact that the PT engine hasn't been rebuilt and will probably need it in the near future. I would make a lower offer subject to survey and specifiy a DD Mechanical Survey. With 2000+ hours on the PT engine there is high probablity that it needs majored.

The other factors to consider is how long the boat has been on the market? Boats of that size and price range are sitting on the market for quite some time. If you have a smaller boat to trade you might throw that into the mix as well. Some owners are desperate to get out and will consider a smaller boat as it will typically sell easier. The broker is advertising a $70K reduction in price. The seller could be getting pinched financially and needs to get out.

AHHHH! lol Good points. But she "was" or "now is" a dock queen. Don't get me wrong this is a very nice yacht and with money being no object i would buy it. But I happen to think she's pricey, maybe they will knock the price down and just hoping someone will come and get it.

But a few things come to mind. 13 year old diesels shouldn't need a "rebuild". He spent LARGE amounts of money on this and looks (in price) he's passing it on. (Didn't we just have someone repower and value didn't go up?) A Diesel engine's worst nightmare is to sit without running. That makes me think dock queen at some point. One engine gone over, one engine rebuilt? That sat at one point for a long time without use or care. Someone couldn't run the engines twice a month? So somewhere some care for the engines went missing. I have a DD that's 30ish years old and runs like the day she was built. I know many people with 30ish year old DDs and run like new. But 1 or 2 years of abuse can change that!

Plus, if you rebuild an engine in a car or "repower" a car you do not get the money back. Boats are the same thing. YOU do NOT get your money back on engine repair! I'm Sorry guys it just isn't right to ask for rebuit money back in the purchase price. You can get "some" of the money but only about a third. This is one of the reasons a lot of these boats are way over priced. If it was the case why not pass along the price of oil changes, wax jobs, bottom jobs, paint jobs, etc. Well paint can sometimes help but you get my point. If you replace the generator you can't ask but for a third of it from the buyer and sometimes you have to take the loss in fair market value.

I would bet money that a fair market value of this boat would not equal the selling price. Fair market means with what the boat has it's services, etc. Not what the owner paid to fix everything up. That's just silly. That's why you should not look to sell a restored boat until you'd owned it for a while. (5 years at least!)

The current owners might of went on the loop, but it sounds like afterwards she's sitting and before the 2005 owners she sat a lot. She was at some point a Dock queen... :)

Maybe the seller didn't think about how much it cost to slip a 60 footer with an 18 foot beam. I'd say they bought more boat than they could 1) afford 2) needed. Why would you sell such a nice yacht if it was so perfect. Has to be money issues i believe. Anyways she is a very beautiful yacht! I just don't think it's worth $795,000

Ross
09-19-2007, 10:23 PM
I believe the owner knows his boat stuff.Has refitted more boats then most people buy cars.Deep pockets.Used to charter in fla,and bahamas several years ago. Should be what it says.

DCMY1949
09-20-2007, 12:39 PM
I have to wonder why the starboard engine was majored and the port was only gone over. If one engine was in that bad a shape that a major overhaul was required the other can't be that far behind. Yes it got a lot of use doing the loop but not before that and what has been happening since they got back from the loop. I have to agree she was and is again a dock queen. Deep pockets don't guarantee a job is done right and then maintained. The evidence points the other way.

neosin
09-20-2007, 12:59 PM
I have to wonder why the starboard engine was majored and the port was only gone over. If one engine was in that bad a shape that a major overhaul was required the other can't be that far behind. Yes it got a lot of use doing the loop but not before that and what has been happening since they got back from the loop. I have to agree she was and is again a dock queen. Deep pockets don't guarantee a job is done right and then maintained. The evidence points the other way.

Yea really all i was saying is that price of the boat is high from what I've found on the net. I'm sure it's nice but 13 years into it and it's already needed major engine repairs well maybe someone isn't taking care of it like they should. If I had to guess i would bet that the last owners didn't check oil, water, etc then let her sit.

So again you have to ask, if such a "great" boat with such a "great" owner, Why sell? And if they have taken $70,000 off the price why? Who would stand to lose $70,000? I don't care how deep your pockets are why lose $70,000? Or is it $270,000 ish' over priced as it is and trying to make it look like a deal by dropping 70k?

Listen i don't care how deep the pockets are, who he is, what he is and how many dock queens he has owned. The way he takes care of a boat and the way I would i promise are two different worlds! FYI my pockets are not that shallow. But I'm not gonna waste money on over priced yachts and someone's word of "Trust me... it's a "great" boat"... hah

THE POINT OF IT WAS! LOL What did we thing or know anything about this yacht. We are only trying to shed some light on a yacht and the ideas from a group of guys who own boats and can warn others of what to look for. Not so much as "don't buy it" because i would if it wasn't over priced! I don't know if you have looked at the market, but it's not a sellers market anymore and won't be for some time. The the current price of the boat I would bet it's gonna be on the market a while... Be happy with what ya have!

SKYCHENEY
09-20-2007, 04:48 PM
This has turned into a ridiculous thread. The original poster asked if anyone KNEW anything about this boat. He didn't ask for speculation and guesses. People sell boats for many different reasons. Some just like change, others have family issues such as a move or a different job. Who cares why it is up for sale. Let's stick to the question and not demean a seller who may or may not be a member of this forum.

In addition, a seller can ask any price that he sees fit. He may find a buyer and he may not. The market will decide. Every boat is unique and this one looks well above average to say the least from the pictures and description (which can also be deceiving). I would hesitate to make any real conclusions without seeing it for myself.

jim rosenthal
09-20-2007, 09:28 PM
I agree. Talk is cheap. What he was requesting was to find out if anyone KNEW the boat. I don't, even though it is sort of in my area. However.....if the interested party is far away and would like me to go look at the boat, I'll do so. Keeping in mind that this is not what I do for a living....Baltimore is not too far away.

hatteras45
09-20-2007, 10:45 PM
I know the boat, its about a 9 out of a 10. I also know the Broker, Chuck Meyers He is a 10 Plus.

neosin
09-20-2007, 11:05 PM
silly...

My points of why it's overpriced ... nothing more. I didn't say the seller is a bad guy. Just that I think his boat is over priced and i point out why... But IMHO almost 95% of the boats out there are over priced. But this lovely market will fix that and it's about time. I see it all the time... 300, 400k for a 1970ish boat... In no other market do we see this kinda of gross over inflation! But because it's a "yacht" we can do it? LOL To many people think a little to highly of one's self.

and when did this become a forum where no one can talk a little off topic. I mean if we are talking about a yacht and maybe one someone might buy why not go over the pros and cons... I'd only hope the group would help me should i ever buy another, and you can count on me looking at every point. After all it's my cash i'm spending and i want every dollars worth! Last i remembered this is still the good ole USA....

jeff shayne
09-20-2007, 11:36 PM
BEWARE OF THIS BOAT !! it was hijacked by aliens in failed attempt to take over the world!! [ luckily the starboard engine smoked which alerted the proper authorities ] !

Boss Lady
09-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Neo, the value of anything is dictated by the market, that means that if someone desires something and wants it worse than the next guy that the value goes up. The willingness to sell also needs someone on the other side of the transaction. If you place a higher value on something than I do, then you get to keep it.

The law of supply and demand dictates price as well. What do you think the replacement value is on the same size boat new? If you aren't willing or can't afford to buy it new, then you have to seek out a used one.

The proliferation of poor quality, cheaply made boats, and the unwashed masses buying these instead of used quality boats has had more to do with them depreciating than anything else. The first time buyer of a large boat in todays market is very different, and they have been sold on the new designs along with a "warranty" and joining the "club" as status symbols. They are casual boaters.

Those who know what they are looking at understand what a bargain you can get. Considering that this boat new today would be in excess of $2+ Million, the price tag is not out of line depending upon engine condition. Granted when the economy is down prices will come down as well since there will be less demand and less competition for available boats. The bottom fell out in the luxury boat market as people became distressed with problems created in large part with their speculation properties. Not with their boats. The increased boat inventory is due to other factors.

A pristine boat will sell quicker and bring more money in any market. The market is in favor of buyers, since there are a lot of people who would like to sell. All markets go in cycles, you can get a good value now while the market is flooded, enjoy it, and maybe break even when you sell, if the market is in an up cycle.

I will never recoup what I have spent on my boat refurbishment. But if someone else wanted it worse than I do, then they will have to come across with the cash to get it.

Hat43
09-21-2007, 08:37 PM
To all who replied, and I mean everyone, thanks. I was made aware of things I would never have thought of. Neosin I appreciate all of your advise and will definitely follow it.

This forum is a wonderful way to learn and I appreciate it more now than before.

dieseluu
12-14-2007, 03:08 PM
If it is of any interest, I (Chuck Meyers, broker w/ Jarrett Bay Yacht Sales) sold this boat at the end of last month. The boat did very well in survey and is preparing to head south next week. I took the time to post here as I wanted to caution people to use care when reading posts based on hear say, speculation, or misinformation. A very good marine surveyor gave this boat a clean bill of health and she rated above average with nothing outside of typical small maintenance items. It would be ashamed for someone to be discouraged from taking the time to visit a boat for sale or even pick up the phone and talk with the broker because of a random post and miss out on the opportunity to own a nice Hatteras.

egaito
12-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Yeesh! If I didn't know any better, I'd say there's someone here that doesn't like this boat or the owner!

* A dock queen that just finished the loop!
* An engine ready to blow because the sister was rebuilt!
* The owner is hurting for cash and would/should take a much lower price!

In truth, there are low low hour (relatively speaking) boats that aren't trash

There are engines that fail catestrophically and suddenly, and owners that do a thorough preventative maintenance call to make sure history doesn't repeat itself on their perfectly good 2nd engine.

There are folks with deep pockets that are quite intellegent, understand the market and reduce their expectations accordingly.

LOL, we sure do know it all here, don't we?

Finalee
12-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Thank heavens.. We may be a little late on this one. Some of the comments made about Hatts by non Hatt owners are really off the mark. I have to agree that without seeing the Yacht making a comment for or against is foolish.
Hopefully this owner gets or got a fair deal.

Brian Degulis
12-14-2007, 06:18 PM
This has turned into a ridiculous thread. The original poster asked if anyone KNEW anything about this boat. He didn't ask for speculation and guesses. People sell boats for many different reasons. Some just like change, others have family issues such as a move or a different job. Who cares why it is up for sale. Let's stick to the question and not demean a seller who may or may not be a member of this forum.

In addition, a seller can ask any price that he sees fit. He may find a buyer and he may not. The market will decide. Every boat is unique and this one looks well above average to say the least from the pictures and description (which can also be deceiving). I would hesitate to make any real conclusions without seeing it for myself.

All true and that is the reason I don't think I would ever advertise a boat in the "boats for sale" section on this forum.

Brian

krush
12-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Homeschooling kids while doing the great loop? That sounds awesome except the kids wouldn't really have any friends. I guess if it's just a 1 time event it wouldn't be so bad.

Opinions from you people that have/had kids?