PDA

View Full Version : 1965 41' Convertible Portlight help

mtadamek
08-28-2007, 10:14 PM
I have a 1965 41'C with 9 oval bronze portlights. There are actually 2 sizes, but they are all built the same. I was wondering if anyone has ever had any dealings with replacing seals on these. I called Sams and they don't have anything for these ovals. It seems they were changed about 1966-1967 to rectangles. The problem I am having is that they have been sealed with 5200 and some of the original parts are missing. If I can explain a little bit about them, maybe someone can help me understand how the seals work.

From the interior of the boat the hatch on the portlight opens up. On the underside of the moving hatch there is a bronze ring that secures the glass. It has about 6 or 8 screws attaching the ring to the hatch. I can easily make the gasket for the glass out of some neoprene or epdm. This is really not a problem.

From the interior of the boat after the hatch to the portlight is open you have a groove which mates with the hatch. There is also an additional smaller bronze ring that secures something. (I am missing 4 of these inner rings, but I should be able to fabricate some out of some starboard). It is attached to the portlight with 2 screws. I am assuming this ring is what held the gasket for the groove in place. But I am not sure. I suppose that seal could of simply been some type of o-ring and the bronze ring may of secured a screen. Since we cannot find seals, and we do not know how it was originally installed, it is hard to come up with a gasket that will work correctly. Does anyone know how these seals work? Did they originally have screens, or does the ring hold the gasket like I suspect? If I have an idea, I should be able to fabricate something that would work. I spent hours cleaning the 5200 up on these and really don't want to put any of that stuff back on! If anyone knows anything about these, please help.

Thank you

Michael Adamek

Boatsb
08-29-2007, 07:27 AM
I believe the groove is where the gasket goes. It is a compressible rubber type and I got 10 from Sams last year. $6-7 bucks a piece. One sise gets cut to the large or small portlight.

Trojan
08-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Pictures would help a lot.

BILL

Capt K
08-29-2007, 01:00 PM
In past years, I got the gaskets directly from Hatteras. They were a square rubber-type white in color. The bronze ring is what 's left of your screen.

Any gasket that fits in the groove would work. A little rubber cement, or similar would hold it in place.

K

mike41tc
08-29-2007, 01:09 PM
My old boat had a round rubber gasket in that groove. It looks basicly like a large o-ring and the port lights do have screens for them, I think they just fit inside of the groove and screwed down.
Mike

mtadamek
08-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the help. Looking at it again, the ring was definately for a screen. It makes sense. Believe I have it figured out now.

wndsr
08-29-2007, 02:42 PM
If you send me your email I can send you pics of the portlights on a 34' Sedan that I am parting out. Cant seem to add a pic on here! Anyone know how??

DCMY #92
08-29-2007, 07:47 PM
I have a 65 DCMY. In pre-Sam days (25 years ago) I bought replacement gasket material for TACO. You are correct - the rings with 2 screws are for screens. Bronze screen was soldered to the rings.