PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a generator

akintosyali
08-23-2007, 09:36 PM
So I got the old 68 model Kohler running again. It runs smooth, temperature and oil pressure stable, at normal levels. The issue is, I am getting very low voltage out of the system. It is producing only 28 volts...

I am thinking about opening the generator section to see what the problem could be. Any ideas on what I should look for?

Nonchalant1
08-24-2007, 01:20 PM
The actual mechanical side of the generator itself is pretty bullet proof. It's more likely to be in the controller board. If you're an electronics genius, you might be able to find bad rectifiers or something and fix it, but I just had Onan look at mine (for wildly fluctuating voltage) and they replaced the controller board and fixed it.

Doug

Brian Degulis
08-24-2007, 04:28 PM
You said you got it going again? How long was it sitting? Was it putting out when it last ran?

What I'm getting to is that sometimes when a generator sits for a long time It losses it's residual magnitism to correct this you Flash it which is a procedure to excite the fields.

Let me know how long it's been down and if it worked before and we will go from there.

Brian

akintosyali
08-24-2007, 07:30 PM
The last time it was ran was at least 15 years ago, which is the best case scenario. I bought the boat a year ago, and have been working on it since..

Brian Degulis
08-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Ok If your pretty sure everthing else is OK try this

Pull the cover off the back of the electrical end somewhere in there you will find a terminal board for the field leads. Disconect all wiring except the 2 leads going the field windings. With a source of 12V DC (battery) conect one field lead to negative the other to positive (you should get a small spark) Hold the conection for 10 - 15 seconds. Put it back together and see if it works.

Brian