PDA

View Full Version : pyrometer temps

Danolywa
10-25-2004, 12:18 PM
After reading the posting about exhaust temps, I have
installed pryometers on both motors. My question is...
I am running 8/71's 435hp what should the temp be when
cruising at 1950 to 2000 rpms.

Genesis
10-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Report back and I can give you some ideas.

Danolywa
10-25-2004, 07:12 PM
I just got them installed yesterday and have not gone
cruising yet. But at idle I was looking at 275 degrees.
The probes are after the turbos in the exhaust pipe to the mufflers.

Dan

Genesis
10-25-2004, 07:28 PM
When you come in, allow the temps to get to 300 or below before you shut down. That's one important use for these :)

After the turbo under power will be roughly 200-300 degrees below inlet temperature.

Get some numbers at various RPMs (whille running) and post 'em - we'll see what 'ya got. Also, like oil analysis, CHANGES are quite important if you spot 'em - you can detect a failed injector quickly with these, for example.

Danolywa
10-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Thanks I will do that this coming weekend. I am looking
forward to using this new tool. I have been told it will
help will engine longievity

Dan

questover
10-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Question what are pryometers ? Where do you buy them?
How do they help you with engine life?

Thanks, Russ

Danolywa
11-01-2004, 04:52 PM
We went cruising this weekend and checked pyrometer
temps. The temps at 1950rpm's ran steady at 675 degrees, I don't know yet if this is good or bad my mechanic is out of town until tues. Anyone have any ideas?

Dan

Genesis
11-01-2004, 07:18 PM
I like those numbers.

Dave Phipps
11-02-2004, 12:41 AM
I also would like to add pyrometers to my 8V71TIs. Has anybody on this site done this, and if so, what can you tell us about installation, suppliers, costs, etc.? Karl, are you able to help with this one? Also, I wonder about boost pressure; what's the best way to plumb a pressure indicator?

Thanks,

Dave

Genesis
11-02-2004, 11:28 AM
.... (gaffrig) has nice and reasonably-priced kits.

As for installation, if your exhaust system has ports, its simple. If it doesn't, its a LOT less simple.

Boost pressure usually is available off a tap on the airhorn - see if you have a plug there you can can tap. I don't keep that connected all the time, but rather use it for testing when I want to take a reading.

Danolywa
11-02-2004, 12:51 PM
My exhaust system already had ports 7 inches behind
each turbo so that made the installation very simple.
Be sure when ordering the cable you have enough to reach the helm station as it comes pre-made and cannot
be spliced. I got the dual gauges for each engine as I have 8/71's. There are a couple of ways to install the
probes if the ports are not already there, you drill the exhaust pipe and weld a port on or there is a strap on probe port that is held on with a clamp. I would opt for the weld on myself. Hope this helps.

Dan

Genesis
11-02-2004, 06:32 PM
... with any kind of "strap on" clamp arrangement.

Exhaust leaks on a truck are not a huge deal. On a boat, especially on Detroits, they are a HUGE issue and will destroy your engines. The crud gets back into the airboxes, gets mixed with the usual blowby oil and if you don't catch it will end up being sucked into the ports and cylinders in chunks - its basically sandpaper!

If that happens its rebuild time!