PDA

View Full Version : 45C repower

captcoop
09-01-2004, 10:28 AM
George did you use the C12 Compact engine for your re power? I am looking at the C12 or the Cummins %%WORD11%. The Cat sales rep. said I may need the compact version that is more expense. THANKS

George
09-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Sorry for the delay. I've been away from the site for a week cruising the Chesapeak and having a ball at 30-32 Kts passing all those sail boats, outboards and cruisers. You should see the expression on the faces of the outboards when they try to keep up. Yes, I did go with the compacts. I can't speak to the price difference, as there was not a choice. They fit real nice and more room all around compared to the 6V92s that I had in her. Any other questions or if you need comparison discussion on price, work etc. e-mail me
George.Robinson@Ottens.com

captcoop
09-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the response. I have decided to go with the Cummins QSM 11 @ 660 hp. Cat could not give me a delivery date. I plan to deliver the boat to the yard on Monday and am looking foreword to the results. I will let you know how the boat compares with your Cat 700 hp. THANKS

Genesis
09-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Please give me full stats on your boat (year, etc) and the results when you get her back!

I'm VERY interested in what you spend and what you get from this repower, as its on my short list of considerations for my own 45C! :D

George
09-09-2004, 02:41 PM
There are a few data sheets on the web about the performance of 2- 45' 1985 version Hats with the QSM's. I think you can find them in an easy search like hatteras cummins and you should be able to get them.
Good luck with your repower.

captcoop
10-21-2004, 11:03 AM
This re power is a long process. I have now waited 5 weeks for the Cummins engines. When they are selling you the delivery is 2 to 3 weeks. If you plan to re power I suggest you wait for the engines to arrive before you start the project.

Genesis
10-21-2004, 06:09 PM
.... is that NOBODY gets that kind of a check from me until I see the metal in the crate.

I know, there are people who say "you'll never get anyone to do business that way".

To that I respond "I either will, or I won't do it at all."

This kind of BS game is one reason I HATE the marine marketplace. Everyone's your best friend until they actually have to get off the dime and produce - then it'll get done whenever they feel like it.

There are very, very few people who will actually deliver what they promised on time and in budget. Fortunately the number is not zero.

jim rosenthal
10-21-2004, 07:01 PM
...and unfortunately true in spades. If you are looking for CAT engines, or parts thereof, I have had no problems whatever with the Crisfield MD CAT dealer. They are prompt and good for their word. This almost makes up for Alban Engines who are basically jerks in my experience, fortunately limited. I feel the same way Karl does- we're talking serious money here and both sides need to be REAL serious. I have also had good luck locally with Bay Shore Marine Engines who sell Yanmar and Northern Lights/Lugger. No complaints. If I were buying new motors, which I hope not to do, I would write a delivery date clause into the contract- and penalties for missing it. If they want the sale, they'll sign.

George
10-21-2004, 08:14 PM
PPPPPP = Proper planning prevents piss poor performance meaning, in your contracts, you should alway add performance clauses for time deliveries. We are spending enought $ to warrent the clause. I heard recently from another 45' owner that Cat is telling him 12-15 week delivery upon ordering. These engine builders must be doing very well. I hope there not all being sold to China like all of our steel and concrete. Good luck. Perhaps you may want to call Dave Wrigley at the Canyon Club in Cape May and find out if he has them, get your boat delivered there if your old engines are out. Where are you Capt. Coop? maby I can offer another suggestion.

Mike36c
10-21-2004, 09:41 PM
I re-powered my 36 earlier this year with cummins and everything went according to schedule. The boat hauled on the proposed date, the old engines came out, and the new engines/generator went in with no hassles, BS, extra fees or delays. Of course we laid out all the particulars before the job began but I was waiting for the screw (no pun intended) that never came. I used Eckles diesel in Ft. Pierce FL and would recommend them without hesitation. Plus they had done 36 Hatts before so there was no guessing about performance or running gear, a nice comfort when dishing out those kind of dollars. Best of luck! Mike

Seasession
10-22-2004, 10:08 AM
I also repowered earlier this year with yanmars I purcased using Marine Propulsion on Wadmalaw Island, SC as the agent and Mack Boring as the distributor. The engines were delivered on the promised date and even though FedEx rolled over one of the engines in transit Marine Propulsion had a new replacement engine and gear delivered in 10 days. There are good people who stand by their word out there you just have to find them. Good Luck on your repower.

Bob Bradley
10-22-2004, 12:07 PM
How do you roll over an engine? Our friends at OOPS succeeded in crushing the chrome floodlight from my 43C, but how in hell do you run over a diesel engine?

Seasession
10-22-2004, 12:24 PM
FedEx rolled the crate over in the truck I have no idea how but I was not going to take posseision and my dealer had no problem backing me up.

captcoop
10-22-2004, 02:50 PM
I talked with Cummins Atlantic yesterday and was informed that the engines are available not but the transmissions aren't in, but should be in this week. I am boating out of Portsmouth, Va. Early in the engine selection process I looked at the Cat C12 and Carter Marine informed me that they could not give me a delivery date because of the Japanese components. I must say that Cat was very honest. I suppose that they didn't need any more bad things to happen based on the problems they had with the 3196 cooler problem. I suppose one of my problems is I'm in Virginia and the re power yard (Jarrett Bay Boatworks) is in North Carolina.

Top Shelf
10-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Cat has a huge backlog, the off highway sector (and not marine) is pulling allocation and capacity from other units within Cat. And yes; the construction boom in China is at least partially responsible. Cement, steel and sure enough Diesel engines.....

jim rosenthal
10-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Well, if JB is doing the repower, you should be in good shape.I suppose no yard is 100% trustworthy- everyone makes mistakes- but JB has a good reputation and they have a growing relationship with Hatteras Yachts. And they should know something about putting a sportfishing boat engine package in place, considering they build them from scratch.

George
10-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Capt Coop,
I just called Dave Wrigley at Canyon Club 609-884-0333
and he has plenty of the C-12's Transmissions are not a problem either. He did my 45 Hatt last winter. 1900 RPM and cruising 27.5-28 Kts. Do with this as you wish and gooooooooooooooood luck

captcoop
10-25-2004, 07:07 PM
George thanks for the response. I am expecting delivery early this week from Cummins. The Cat dealer in my area is a factory owned store so I didn't look for another source for the C12. I was also concerned about the increase cost of the instillation having to construct a holder for the heat exchanger with the compact version of this engine. I had Cat do an engine room survey to see if the standard engine arrangement would work and it is just too long. I like the performance that you are getting and hope to come close with the QSM 11.

hat45
12-22-2004, 01:25 AM
CAPTCOOP
HOWS THE REPOWER GOING ANY WORD FROM THE YARD WHEN YOU WILL BE READY TO SEATRAIL?

Captcoop
12-22-2004, 11:53 AM
The boat is inside to do the paint work and complete the wiring. The halon system had to be replaced because of corrosion of the tank so I went with a new Fireboy System. I also replaced the shaft seal system with dripless seals. I hope to get it load tested before the year end. Maybe it will be my Christmas gift to myself.

hat45
12-23-2004, 12:51 PM
great xmas present. please keep me informed.

hmacdonald
12-23-2004, 02:51 PM
For those of you that are interested, the C-12 Compact is a very nicely packaged engine. 8 inches shorter than the regular C-12 makes installation and maintenance much easier in the 45 Hatt. A suggestion would be to contact Gregory Poole Power Systems repower manager in Beaufort, NC (actually located in the Jarrett Bay Industrial Park) as they are very familiar with this motor as well as all Hatteras Yachts. They are a great group who have a wealth of knowledge due to their relationships with Hatteras and all the custom builders on the Outer Banks.

hat45
12-27-2004, 10:36 PM
captcoop
what year is your 45 hat?

Captcoop
12-28-2004, 12:07 PM
My 45C is a 1985. I purchased the boat in 2000 and upgraded everything except the engines. I know that I have exceeded the amount of money that I should have spent on the upgrades but I like the boat and plan to keep it for a long time. I do not look at money spent on a boat as an investment, just money spent for pleasure. I received an email this AM and was informed that they plan to test the boat next Monday and have the Cummins rep check the load on Thursday. It looks as if my wait may soon be over. If you would like to see a photo of the boat I would be happy to send you a photo. HAPPY NEW YEAR

hat45
12-29-2004, 11:33 PM
please let me know the out come. i am very interested in the fact that you whent with 2/ 1 reduction and left shafts and running gear intact.

Captcoop
12-30-2004, 12:28 PM
I didn't use 2/1 gears I used 1.5/1. The safety factor at 660 hp would only allow the 1.5 ratio. It is my understanding that 700 is the max. HP for a 2" shaft with a 1.5 gear. Thanks for the interest and Happy New Year

hat45
12-31-2004, 03:47 PM
so with the 1.5 gear ratio you were able to use your same shaft and under water gear?

Captcoop
01-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Yes, only the prop size will change. We plan to bend the existing props from 26X28 to 26X30, run the boat to determine the load and select the proper prop size. Hopefully this process will start on Monday.

hat45
01-05-2005, 12:59 AM
captcoop any luck with the shipyard trails?

Captcoop
01-05-2005, 12:06 PM
The boat went into the water yesterday and is scheduled for final alignment today. The Cummins tech. support is scheduled to start the engines on Thursday with a load test to follow to determine the prop size. It is possible that I may get the boat back on or around the 14th. I am anxious to see the results as it has been a long process. Thanks for your interest.

jim rosenthal
01-05-2005, 03:42 PM
..we are all very interested. By the way, there was a set of 450hp C series Cummins with gears in B&H last week, is anyone looking to do a 36 or 38 convertible and have it go like a bat out of hell..

Alec
01-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Capt Coop;
I am thinking of repowering my 46 hat and would be interested in any info about your job. I am also considering the QSM 660's so it should be similar to your boat. Thanks for any info. Alec

Captcoop
01-07-2005, 11:21 AM
The engines were finally started and ran yesterday.I was not on site as I am a 5 hour drive from Jarrett Bay but was told the boat ran smooth and quiet. They ran the boat with the original 26X28 props and weren't equipped to check the load, that is planned for today. The boat ran a respectable 28K out and 30K back in 20 K wind. The yard Supt. said that the boat went form idle to WOT 2350rpm in 12 seconds. I would say it needs more load and will hopefully know today when the computer is connected.

jim rosenthal
01-08-2005, 09:34 PM
..that is pretty spectacular for a first outing and I congratulate you. I can't imagine how fast she'll be with more pitch in the props, but I suspect you'll be showing a clean pair of heels to just about everyone else out there. I'm jealous. If I wasn't trying to finish this damn GT40 car project, I'd be thinking about bigger engines and going faster...probably a good thing that I am tied up with the car. It sounds like you'll have at least a 27kt cruise, which is faster than what I have by three knots or so.

hat45
01-11-2005, 07:06 PM
capt coop
any word from the shipyard on your seatrial specks?

George
01-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Capt. Coop,
When I put in my C-12 Cats, I was able to move up to 29X32 medium cup Katapult props out of Canada. @ 1900, I'm cruising at 27.5-28 Kts depending on the load and sea water temp. The load factor is still somewhat under Caterpillar specifications and I am probably going to tweak a little this spring. I can't get you the exact prop scans as the documents are on the boat in Cape May and I won't be able to get down there, but I gave Dave Wrigleys number on a more recent posting and you may want to ask him. Dave is real good with prop work.
I too am anxious to hear of your results. Have fun, and good luck

Captcoop
01-12-2005, 12:03 PM
I spoke with the yard supt. this AM and the boat is going in the water this morning. Once the fog lifts another run and load test will take place. The on board computer determines the load and is shown on the screen so it's a nice feature to have with this package. The only other issue is one with the ZF trolling valve. I hope to have some data today to report. THANKS for your interest. (George, what trans ratio do you have?)

George
01-12-2005, 03:34 PM
1 3/4 : 1. I wish I had the trolling valves, they are a lot of money and I did not get them during my repower.
Coop, I also went with the 2 1/4" shaft, I know you stayed with 2"

Captcoop
01-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Ran the boat today with 26X29 heavy cup prop, only reached 84% load @ 2360 and 30K. They tried 29X32 loaners and recorded 32K and climbing when the test was stopped because the load reached 100%. They are now recommending 28X28 four blades. Any thoughts on this selection? It doesn't seam like much pitch to get 32/33K top speed. The efficiency would have to be 88/90%. I can't imagine this heavy boat getting that. THANKS

Genesis
01-12-2005, 08:02 PM
How the hell can you argue with that?!

At 85% load you're going to have MAJOR engine life. That's one of the best things you can do for a motor - intentionally underload it like that.

If you want, step up to 4-blades which will give you a bit more cruise speed, a bit higher load and the same WOT or perhaps a knot faster, but push the load up around 90%.

George
01-12-2005, 09:57 PM
Capt. Coop,
What does Cummins recommend and at what RPM?
In the manual, they should have a load curve and an explination of engine set up. I believe you should reach 95% @ WOT, but your cruise RPM is probably 1900 RPM and your load will be about 85% or in my case its actually 80%. At the upper range of youre RPM, the HP eventually drops off while the load will increase. This is an electronically controlled feature. If youve not asked the questions allready, I suggest you do, and if your installer does not give you confidence, ask to speak with your area cummins representative.There is also a scale under engine life which should explain how long and at what RPM you can run your engine, ex. XX HRS/Year at 2325RPM etc. There is a lot of detail you should become very intimate with when it comes to a new set up. Look at that manual like you did when Pop got you that first playboy magazine. As reference here are my stats
1900 RPM 42 GPH 28 KTs,
2000 RPM 50 GPH 29.5 KTS,
2100 RPM 54 GPH 30.7 KTS,
2200 RPM 60 GPH 32 KTS,
2325 RPM I've seen 34.5,
Tom Slane told me several times I would not gain much going from 660 HP to 700. If that is true, you should run equal to me, although as previously mentioned, I have a tweak or two to go before I'm happy. I know the boat will run stable at 30 Kts, so that's what I'm aiming for @ 1900 RPM.
If you go to Boatdiesel.com under forums, under cummins, there is a guy in California who knows Cummins like Genesis knows Detroits. He is a Rep and installer. He is always very prompt in answering questions if easy speak. Sounds to me like the 29 X 32 should be close for you. PS. At that top speed, put your trim tabs all the way up to the hull. The hull self levels at that speed, and any tab you add, will cause the boat to get a little funky.

hat45
01-13-2005, 02:42 PM
this is great info from both george and capt coop. thanks for sharing your projects with the rest of us. the info will be extremely helpful when i go to repower. thanks

Captcoop
01-13-2005, 08:20 PM
George I have faith in the yard (Jarrett Bay Boatworks) as they are a custom boat builder and the Hatteras dealer for the mid Atlantic. Also the Cummins rep. is on board all load test runs. They won't allow you to overload the engines for warranty purposes also all the data that you listed is available on the display as part of the control package that comes with the engines. The point of concern in one of slippage or efficiency. With the 26" diameter 3 blade I now get 79% and I was questioning if I could get as much as 88/90% with the 4 blade. THANKS

George
01-13-2005, 09:53 PM
AH!
Yes, Agreed, JB is one of the finer if not the finest yards. Great choice! They will get her dialed in.

seacolt
01-14-2005, 11:10 AM
I have a 1976 46c and wondering if the %%WORD4% will fit ? , and would i have to change the running gear ? . Also wondering how the older 46 will perform with that kind of speed. I recently had a thorough inspection and i was told my engines have about 300 to 400 hours before rebuild. I plan to get the maximum life out of my 871TI. I do have a hankering for speed but do not want to give up the great ride of my older hatt.

seacolt
01-14-2005, 11:14 AM
that would be the cummins qsm11

Captcoop
01-14-2005, 12:00 PM
The QSM 11 is only 53" long that is why I chose it. It is a good size replacement for the 6V92. It does have to work a little harder than the C12 because it is an 11 liter as opposed to the 12 liter Cat. Good Luck

hat45
01-17-2005, 09:07 PM
capt coop
any word from the yard?did you get to run your boat this weekend?

Captcoop
01-19-2005, 03:47 PM
No new load test this week, I am waiting for the props. I'm looking for 32K @ 90% load on the next run. I hope to get her back to Virginia next week if the weather will cooperate. THANKS For your interest

Captcoop
01-21-2005, 08:24 PM
I talked with the yard supt. today and was told that the boat ran 32.5K with the 26X30 props with a load in the low 90% range. I need a higher DAR to increase the speed (4 blades or more diameter). I am now on an economy budget so maybe in the spring. I'm tired of spending and not riding. THANKS for your interest.

hat45
01-22-2005, 06:57 PM
capt coop
26x30 are 4 blade props. what make are they?

jimbo1907comcastnet
01-22-2005, 10:49 PM
take performance like that any day...:x (envy)

Captcoop
01-23-2005, 07:55 PM
The 26X30 props are the original 26X28 props that were reworked at the porp shop at Jarrett Bay Boatworks. The 2" additional pitch is all that they could bend. They did bend a heavy cup which helps hold more load on the blade. The efficiency (slippage) raised from 77% to a respectable 83.5%. THANKS for your interest.

George
01-24-2005, 08:03 PM
Coop,
is 32Kt WOT, and what was your speed curve? if you don't have that, do you know what the performance was at 1900 RPM?

Captcoop
01-25-2005, 11:54 AM
I am going to pick up the boat today. I hope to be back in Va. on Friday. All the performance data is second hand from the yard as I have not been on the boat for any load test. I do know that the boat needs more prop. but the wife says maybe later. The load on the engines is at 93% and the capt. that ran the test thinks that 33/34K is achievable with 4 blade props. I let you know about cruse speeds when I get back later this week. THANKS for your interest.

Captcoop
01-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Well as luck would have it the boat needed more attention, the rudder shafts were leaking so the trip home was moved to next week. I did get a look at the instillation and was impressed. The ZF controls are very nice (single leaver) and the Cummins systems are impressive. The screen display of the systems are simple and extensive with any engine information available for display. You can even connect your GPS to display your speed. Will let you know more when I bring her home next week.

Bob Bradley
01-28-2005, 07:41 PM
That's going to take some getting used to. After 25 years of shifting manually without using the throttles, I don't think I'd want to have to develop a whole new touch. I was docking my brother in law's ski nautique a few years ago, and I accidently applied pretty much full throttle in reverse as I was trying to gently slow the boat on my approach. Nothing broke, but it was embarrassing.

Captcoop
01-29-2005, 06:39 PM
It has taken me 5 years to adjust to the Hatteras controls. My previous boat was a Jersey built one with the throttle on the right. It is a slick looking arrangement and I am looking foreword to making the adjustment.

jim rosenthal
01-29-2005, 06:42 PM
...IS there a standard layout for powerboat controls? My boat has the throttles together on the left, and the transmission controls on the right- same down below. So when I replaced them, I routed the cables the same way and put the control heads in the same way. Does Hatteras do this differently from other oat builders...just curious? I realize the thread isn't about that...sorry.

captddis
01-29-2005, 07:50 PM
Jim,
Hatteras is one of the few who put the throttles on the left. I have heard different reasons one was that the gearshift on a car was on the right. I prefer the throttles on the right as I am right handed, but I run a lot of different boats and can adapt to either. I would think that whatever is comfortable for the owner is what to use. Although standardisation would make life easier. Just as in a sink faucet you do not need to look at the handle to know which is hot.

Genesis
01-29-2005, 09:16 PM
My 45C has the throttles on the left. So is the bridge bypass (to get to the forward seating on the bridge)

Now, if the gears were there, what if someone was to stumble in that area and grabbed the gearshifts.

Instant shredded gearbox and possible pieces ejected at high speed (very, very bad!)

I surmise this is why Hatt put the throttles on the left on this boat. I may be wrong, and it IS backwards from most other vessels, but it didn't take me long to adjust.

skammtoo
01-31-2005, 01:24 AM
My 1965 50' MY has the "Palm Beach" style with the shifters outboard and the throttles inboard. Even with the spread on these helms, you can shift easily by pushing your hands in direction you want the boat to move and using the throttles with your thumbs. It's really easy and quite impressive when someone is watching over your shoulder!

At any rate, you get used to whatever you run. Most of us can run any vessel after a few minutes of fooling around with it!

Us Northeasteners will be playing with our vessels soon!!!

Capt K

Traveler 45C
01-31-2005, 11:59 AM
That’s the way my 45C is set up. I like it. I can turn completely around, face aft and operate the boat while watching what’s going on in the cockpit or while docking.

However, I don’t like not having both throttles in one hand. A synchronizer will fix that though…

Greg

Bob Bradley
01-31-2005, 12:59 PM
My last boat, a '65 Chris Seaskiff, had the throttles in between the shifter. Each throttle lever was shaped like an inverted "L", with the short legs facing inward. This made using them with one hand very comfortable. It also made docking while facing the stern quite simple as well. Nonetheless, I had no problem adjusting to the Hatt. Mine is set up just like Karl's, with the throttles on the left.
Bob

ronbecky
01-31-2005, 05:22 PM
My last boat was a 36 krogen with a single lever for throttle and shifting. I got spoiled and hate the separate levers for shift and throttles, now. I lost that boat in a storm on the Chesapeake,:rollin and last year bought a 88 40dc Hatt. It came with the standard set up and I can't get used to it. Sometime hit the throttle instead of shifting. That'll wake you up real fast, when docking. This year I am going to replace with a dual set up with only 2 handles. That way there's no mistaking one for the other.:rollin

34Hatt
02-01-2005, 02:40 PM
I have singles also and love them but they will only work on a single helm you can't have any other helms. Now looking back I would like a set in the cockpit but can't add them now.
Dan

Captcoop
02-01-2005, 04:28 PM
With the ZF controls that I have you can have up to 4 sets of controls. The CruseCommand System can operate up to 5 screws with 8 remote stations. It's amazing what you can do with enough time and money.

hat45
02-01-2005, 10:34 PM
capt coop
how is the weather at jb. when do you think you can take your boat home. i am interest in some more data from your trip home. thanks

Genesis
02-02-2005, 03:37 AM
... I saw a Bertie ram a travelift pocket after the Mathers controls malfunctioned.

The captain selected reverse at idle. Nothing appeared to happen, and he gave it a bit more throttle.

Unfortunately, the shift hadn't taken place - and he thus applied forward thrust. There was nothing he could do about it either - he rammed the front of the lift pocket with a rather impressive CRUNCH!

That added a bit to the list of jobs to be done during the haul.... :rollin

Captcoop
02-02-2005, 11:40 AM
Hatt45 I am leaving this AM for Jarrett Bay. The plan is to head north Thursday AM and run to Coinjock then to Portsmouth on Friday. It is possible if timed just right to run the distance in a day but with the 15/20K wind forecast and the bridges and locks it is not likely. I should have a lot to report by Saturday. THANKS for your interest

Captcoop
02-05-2005, 01:47 PM
I ran the boat back to Portsmouth Thursday and Friday. I dropped the lines at 8:15 on Thursday and stopped in Coinjock at 1:30 with plans to run on to Portsmouth the same day but was talked out of the run by the all you can eat steamed oysters and cold beer. The boat ran great I cruised @ 27.5/27.9K depending on the wind/tide with full fuel and water. I ran the engines mostly @ 2000 RPM trying to beat the small craft advisory forecast for Friday. I did push the boat to 2350 rpm once and reached 32.5K in medium chop against the wind (15/20K) and I can't say what the tide was doing, the computer indicated the engine load @ 94% so I have some room to look for a little more speed if I decide to do so but right now I like what I have. The crew at Jarrett Bay did a great job and I can't say enough about the instillation.The ZF controls, after getting adjusted to are great and the response is very fast. Thanks for your interest

Bob Bradley
02-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Congatulations! It must be a very satisfying feeling watching that speed climb on the gps. Best of luck with her.

cruzcol
02-09-2005, 07:46 AM
Captcoop,
What size propellers you finally used.Three or four blades?
ALFONSO

Captcoop
02-09-2005, 11:26 AM
I am running 26X30 3 blade with a heavy cup. The propeller shop at Jarrett Bay wanted to try 28X28 four blades and tune them to the engine load, however my wife had other plans for the $4000.00 plus the cost to tune them to the correct engine load. I can't complain about the performance you can be running at 27K and push the throttle to the pin and feel the boat lunge to 2350. Thanks for your Interest

George
02-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Coop,
When you get a chance, can you post the following,
Gear reduction
RPm VS speed & fuel consumption.

I'm very interested to compare your results with mine with the C-12. I'm surprised JB would charge to optimize the performance. I think I mentioned I'm running 1 3/4 : 1 with a 29X31 4 blade.

THanks

George
03-03-2005, 02:58 PM
bump???

hat45
03-03-2005, 07:04 PM
George did you look at the yanmars. what your thoughts.

Captcoop
03-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Hat45, I looked at the Yanmar and they didn't have an engine in the 700hp range until I think last year. I wanted something with a track record and a large dealer support network. The Cummins has a 6 year warranty, two year complete and 4 year major component. Good Luck with your decision

Genesis
03-03-2005, 08:27 PM
... are going to be downright cheap compared to any overseas motor.

Check PARTS PRICES for common items and expected service lives before you buy. Consider total cost of ownership - not the sale price - or you're in for a very unhappy surprise.

George
03-04-2005, 04:38 PM
No, I did not consider the Yanmar as they are not on my radar for boats that are 20 ton. I see there market in mostly lighter boats such as Henriques. I considered the Cat C-12, Cummins QSM11, and mann. Space, HP, local service, track record etc all came into play. I did spend more, alot more for the C-12's and thats why I'm so interested to find out more about coops performance. Tom Slane warned me that I may not get much more performance from 660 to 710, and from the looks of things, he may as usual, be right again. I have no regrets, other then to think about how much I might have saved. If we can flush this cost performance thing out, I believe we've done the posting a real justice for all other 43 & 45' owners

redhead
03-04-2005, 06:11 PM
does anyone know where i can view pictures of this repower job???

George
03-05-2005, 07:14 PM
I'll send you some on Monday of my C-12's in the 45. post your email if you don't mind as I don't know how to post pics on this forum

redhead
03-08-2005, 11:38 AM
my email is elieri@sgu.edu, thanks for the pics

sdonx
03-08-2005, 09:01 PM
If possible I would love some pics too.
f-papp@msn.com

giuseppe
09-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Dear George and Captcoop as I am a 43C owner i have two questions:
-Is yours repowering project applicable also to my 43c(friends told me that the 43c hull is different from 45c)
-How is the ride at those fast speeds?
Many thanks for your help

Captcoop
09-17-2007, 10:05 AM
I think that the 43C and the 45C are basically the same boat. The 45 has a larger cockpit. As for the handling the boat does very well at any speed. I have ran as fast as 34K and not had any problems. The boat must have the trim tabs all the way up at this speed and needs very little tab at 26 to 28K.
Good Luck

Genesis
09-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Yep - the boats are essentially identical except for the 2' of cockpit. A buddy of mine has a 43C and it basically IS what Gigabite was but with a shorter cockpit.

60hatt
09-17-2007, 09:58 PM
i repowered a 45 c last year. took delivery last august from cable marine in fort lauderdale. i went with the cummins qsm 11 660 hp. 1- 3/4 to one gears and props are 28 x30 med cup 4 blade. cruse 27.5 knots at 2100 and burn 45 gals hr.the boat tops out at 31 knots full load. 95% load.

these engine are just right for this boat . george captcoop and tom slane were all a big help. i have about 375 hrs on the boat this summer and plenty of big fish. thanks for the help guys.

solanderi
09-18-2007, 03:51 PM
I have a 1985 45C "Hat Time" in Miami Beach and read with great interest all of the repower info on the HOF. Respectfully, could any of you give me a ball park estimate of how much time it took for the yard to do the job and if you don't mind about what they charged for a deal like that. Thank you,

Greg
Hat Time
1985 45 C
Miami Beach, FL

Captcoop
09-19-2007, 09:04 AM
I paid $165,000. for the complete repower with a few extras and picked the boat up in I think Feb. 2005. The time was longer than expected (I think 4 mo.) some delay because of the trans. delivery was slow. I was told by a charter capt friend that these engines are reduced about 15,000. ea and are only suited for repower because of new emission standards. A frined of mine has a 1984 45C with the QSM 11 635hp engines for sale.
Good Luck

solanderi
09-19-2007, 11:44 PM
Thank you for the details. That is the number I have heard about in the past and I wanted to see how it compared with your real world experience. I will just enjoy those amazing performance values in my dreams for the time being........now where are my lotto numbers, Ha ha

Greg

seacolt
09-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Anyone know of A repower done with the series I boat . 1976 46c ? . Can the older boats handle that kind of speed ?

giuseppe
10-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Dear Captcoop,
I have decided to repower with Qsm 11 715.Can you give me your impressions and if possible some photos of the work done?My e-mail is giuse.tavani@tiscalinet.it
Many thanks