PDA

View Full Version : Downsizing Images

(Nobody You Know)
01-23-2007, 09:42 AM
This Forum allows for images of no larger than some 97KBs. I have a few shots of my hull that were taken yesterday but saved then uploaded at much more resolution than 97KBs. Does anyone know of a method or program which I can use to resize (or lower) the file space (KBs) of these any other images? Seems I did this some time back but totaly forgot what I used and how.

Thanks!

Pascal
01-23-2007, 10:11 AM
right click > edit depends on what you have installed on your computer...

the easiest way to resize, rename, etc... image is to download www.irfanview.com it's free, small, and very easy to use. you can resize batches of pictures...

normally, if you size down your pics down to 800 pix wide and compressed by 40%, they will be way under 100k.

Mike53C
01-23-2007, 01:40 PM
I use Irfanview, it is a free download from the link below. Once you install it (it is an EXCELENT program, can open dozens of different formats , it can even read music files) you go to Image in the menu and then you will see Resize/ Resample click on that and follow the instructions. On top of that, if you go to Files and open it you will be a Batch Conversion/Rename, very useful if you have a bunch of pictures.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Mike53C
Aguamala Too
'70 53 Convertible
Morrocoy
Venezuela

Mike53C
01-23-2007, 02:34 PM
I did not realize that Pascal had already offered the Irfan answer so as a penalty I am offering a picture of my private sandbar. That is the Aguamala Too dinghy (if someone is interested on what I did to haul it on deck using the old aluminum pipe davit, please say so and I can submit pictures), and under the umbrella my daughter-in-law and my grand daughter taking her first sea bath in style.

If you have Google Earth, just plot the coordinates
10°50'56.85"N 68°14'18.59"W
Unfortunately I can not attach a .kmz file to go there direct.

If you like it you are welcome to visit....will have to fly down to Venezuela thou....or better yet, sail.

Mike53C
'70 53C
Aguamala Too
Morrocoy
Venezuela

(Nobody You Know)
01-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Awsome picture Mike.

Thanks for the response and info guys!

Hey Mike, did you have to pull the engine on board first, and then the dingy? :confused:

(Nobody You Know)
01-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Errr, I meant awsome picture Miguel!

Sorry :D

Mike53C
01-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Hi Capt’n,...when in Venezuela I’m Miguel, when along with English speaking people it’s usually Mike, so I’ll answer both calls.
No, I lift and lower the whole thing up and down as a complete package battery and full tank totaling close to 1000 lbs. The davit was VERY modified and the “contraption” ,as I call it, to mantain the dinghy level with different gas on it I think it is quite simple and effective. Inside the vertical part of the davit that eventually goes into the deck there is a solid shaft of higrade steel taken from a rear truck axle. Then, the aluminum tube giong to the bottom is encased with a heavy duty steel tube to prevent flexing. The winch was rated at 1200 lbs so I am ok there.
I can provide pictures and drawings if someone is interested.
So you liked my sandbar.....Mmmmm, then maybe you will like my beach.
Only thing, I am not posting the coordinates on this one...want to see it? You’ll have to come and I’ll take you gladly...blindfolded of course.
There you go, another sandbar, my beach and my boat with the davit clearly showing. Dinghy and davit sunbrella covers are tied somehow untidy, the bucket is still full of sand as we used it to shoot the fireworks on the New Year Eve. We had a FOUR inch launch tube. No the Coast Guard didn’t show, they were busy celebrating.

Beckytek
01-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Mike, great pictures, I'm drooling! I would love to see the drawings of the davit you built. I'd like to put one on my fore deck. Nothing as substantial as yours but very curious as to how you did it. Ron

Starman
01-24-2007, 07:35 PM
I use photobucket .com

they give the option in resizing for message boards.

Mike53C
01-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Mike, great pictures, I'm drooling! I would love to see the drawings of the davit you built. I'd like to put one on my fore deck. Nothing as substantial as yours but very curious as to how you did it. Ron
Glad you liked them Ron. I will be very pleased to give you details of the davit. This coming weekend is the second birthday of the boat with us, and the whole family is gathering aboard for the celebration, that is two sons and their wives, one grand daughter, my wife and maybe my sister. That boat meant a GREAT economic effort, and that in a moment, political moment I mean, let's say, "difficult" and many advised aganist it but I decided to go ahead anyway and we made a point of enjoying it all the time we could. In two years we have missed just 6 weekends (one was to attend the 2006 Miami Boat Show) even thou we have a two and a half drive to the marina about half of this in dirt roads. So on top of having a ball I will make detailed pictures for you, and my files. Next Monday you will have the information. If you have access to an AutoCad viewer I can send drawings I made in AutoCad.
Jesus..I told you half my life...sorry...I got carried away.
See ya Monday

(Nobody You Know)
01-25-2007, 12:28 PM
The Irfanview program worked quick and just like everyone said (see pics at "Hatteras Tech Talk/Bottom Job")

Nice job on the boom loader Mike. Also a beautiful part of the world to be in!

Beckytek
01-25-2007, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't mind driving 2 1/2 hours to get to waters like that. I'd probably walk if I had to. Still interested in the davit drawings although not knowing what autocad is, I probably don't have one. Ron

smoothmove
01-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Mike53,
Great pics. Just wondering - what are you paying for fuel in Venezuela?
Eric

Mike53C
01-26-2007, 10:49 AM
Mike53,
Great pics. Just wondering - what are you paying for fuel in Venezuela?
Eric
Eric I'll tell what I pay for it at the marina, that is without leaving berth. A small trailerable tank comes near by and the guy has long hoses. You get fuel fed thru double large filter water separators.
US $ 0.176 per gallon.
At the pump is cheaper.
Please don't hate me.

Miguel

smoothmove
01-26-2007, 11:49 AM
OK Admit it How many grabbed a pencil and figured this?

1185 miles to Venezuela x 1NM/gal X 1.125M/1NM x .17 = 179 bucks per trip one way! Holy cow, I'll be right down. Of course filling here to get there costs 3160$ to get there but your average cost comes to 1670 per leg. Not bad. Enjoy what you have Mike!
Eric

Mike53C
01-26-2007, 03:37 PM

1185 miles to Venezuela x 1NM/gal X 1.125M/1NM x .17 = 179 bucks per trip one way! Holy cow, I'll be right down. Of course filling here to get there costs 3160$ to get there but your average cost comes to 1670 per leg. Not bad. Enjoy what you have Mike!
Eric
I am leaving right now to the marina, I will snap a picture of the tank and the guy who handles it and next Monday I will write yo a short story about it.
Miguel

jim rosenthal
01-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Nice looking 53C, too............wish we could buy fuel for two or three times what you pay.....

Mike53C
01-29-2007, 10:31 AM

Eric

As I promised here is MY GAS STATION

-The Tank: As you can see, the tractor is an old Chevy pickup rusted all over. It is carrying an IBC container on top which is loaded with extra fueloil if needed. Trailering behind is the tank, filters, pump and hoses.

-The Operator: Meet Luis. He delivers the fuel and doubles as….as….hey, I don’t know the word in English…he doubles as the guy that pulls the boat out of the water to have it cleaned and painted. In the picture he is applaying West System epoxy to a bad case of blisters in a Bertram. He is a bible of knowledge.

I confirmed with him, at the gas dock the price is half. But you are not so sure of the quality.

Miguel