PDA

View Full Version : 43 my 1985-1987

double eagle
05-28-2004, 11:23 PM
need info on what to look for on these hatts.
have a friend finally getting a real boat...
was a blow boater for toooo long,..
however he needs help on what to look for on these43 's
are 6-71's better than 3208's
he is looking at one with stabilizers will these affect the ride and fuel consumption...price range
your help is apppreciated
bill
double eagle

ttom02
06-04-2004, 08:47 AM
I owned a 1986 43MY for several years. I had the small 6-71's and I think I would prefer them over the Cats. Although the horsepower is low, if the bottom is clean and engines tuned properly, the boat would easily plane and cruise at 16 to 17 knots @ 2250 rpm. Don't know how much stabilizers would knock it down, but this is a rolly boat, particularly if someone is passing you, and stabs would be an awesome toy to have. I cruised mine in the ICW at 9 knots (1 gal per mile) and when we were passed sometimes the cabinets would empty. Access to batteries is difficult, otherwise engine rooms are OK. The 12 KW genny is ample, however we installed an inverter 2500 watt, which would run everything except AC all day while cruising. Only other problem with the layout is the Refrigerator faces aft, so in a rough sea it could (and did) come open and empty into floor. Be sure and install some sort of locking device. And when you open it, be prepared to catch cause everything has against the door. Otherwise, a great trouble free boat - easy to handle and dock. A bit small inside, but the large aft deck becomes the living area.

Cocoon
06-14-2004, 12:13 AM
I have an '85 and love it. Its got the 3208T CATS which run abut 15 knots at 2500 RPM (16 GPH). Top end is 18 knots @ 2850 RPM .

Yes, it is a bit 'rolly' without stabilizers (which I don't have), but can easily be handled to avoid that large wakes from passing vessels. I've had it in the Atlantic on a rough day and didn't empty any drawers. The fridge has hook-and-eye closures; never a problem upon opening (maybe it's all that beer in there).

The boat is solid and very liveable. I live aboard with my wife six months each year and we never feel cramped. The master stateroom is plenty big, as is the salon. As said by others, the LARGE enclosed aft deck is also used frequently as living space. Guests may find things a little tight in the foward cabin, but if needed, we can always open the queen-size sofa bed in the salon.

skijump
11-11-2004, 12:51 AM
I am thinking of buying a 86 43 MY, can anyone tell me what it might cost to keep one of these, not including fuel?

skijump
11-11-2004, 01:41 AM
You mentioned 16 gph at 15 knots, is that for both engines?

Trojan
11-11-2004, 10:02 AM
The owner of the boat that I am trying buy, it's a 1973,43MY with 671 DD. .Said that he gets 12 gal.per hour at 14 knots cruise.I can live with that.Bill

Cocoon
11-11-2004, 08:56 PM
I am a very happy owner of an '85 43MY. It has 3208T's and does about 15Knots @ 2500RPM. Burns about 15GPH at that cruise (with the gen running). The boat is PLENTY big for two to live aboard, which my wife and I do for about 6 months each year. The aft deck is fully enclosed and used as living space all day long. On cool mornings, with the stern faced south, the enclosed aft deck is like a sun room....a great place to have breakfast.

My boat is in EXCELLENT condition and for sale!!!
Anyone interested can contact me at 413-441-3381 or eagreen@eagreen.com