PDA

View Full Version : "Yachts And Ships Of Jack Hargrave"

MikeP
08-31-2006, 08:24 AM
Dr Jim mentioned this book in a thread a few days ago. I just received it from Amazon and have to add my recommendation. This is a marvelous book!

The section on Hatt is really interesting. Folks here probably know the story but the first Hatt (found in South America and brought back and restored) resulted because Slane was PO'd about a fishing trip canceled due to bad weather. When he spent all day at the yacht club complaining about the fact that the local fishing boats ought to be made to handle the Cape Hatteras weather, one of the guys was fed up with the bitching and said something like, "If you want a better boat, why don't you just make one! It was said in jest but Slane was one of those guys who took it as a dare!

Slane was a textile guy who knew nothing about building boats, he went to JH because the people he really wanted to do it wouldn't. JH said he could do it, while actually having no idea about the process. The rest truly IS history. I didn't realize how many things these guys originated that we now assume is "normal."

It's "Inventive-American" stuff of legend. Lots of pictures and drawings. The book should be on all Hatts right next to the appropriate oem Hatt docs (available from Hatt) and the appropriate engine/tranny service manuals!

Dr. Jim, if you're going to write a better Hatt book than this, you have some serious work to do! I'm not saying you can't, but it will be a LOT of work. However, sign me up for your first copy.

eze2bme
08-31-2006, 09:34 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if this book was available from the Hatteras Apparel and Gifts store??? We could use our discounts!!

SeaEric
08-31-2006, 09:39 AM
I find this book so facinating, its true worth to me is way beyond the 80 bucks it sells for. When you see the photos, drawings and amount of info included you will wonder why its not $800. a copy. Best of all for me is- I received mine as a gift! Thanks again Jim :D

Rickysa
08-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Just ordered the last one from amazon :p

SKYCHENEY
08-31-2006, 11:01 AM
I bought mine used on Amazon a year or so ago for $50. It looks like brand new and, wow, what a deal. It truly is amazing what Hargrave accomplished in his career. I love the part about how he would just make up a new model # for some accessory that he needed. Then the builder would request that # from the vendor and be told that they had no such item. The vendor would call Hargrave to tell him about the error and he would say "Well if you did make such a thing, you sure could sell a bunch of them". Then he would sometimes even help them to design the part. That's one way to get what you need.

jim rosenthal
08-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Like Mike said, these guys were not only building new boats, they were building a whole new industry. I would think that just about anyone building large boats in fiberglass owes a lot to Hargrave and Hatteras.

As a very odd postscript, I met someone locally here with the last name of Hargrave within the last few years, and of course asked him if he was related to the famous naval architect. He said yes, and that Uncle Jack was the most respected member of the entire family- as in, none of the other folks in his generation had accomplished much of anything. He also mentioned, as it seems everyone does who met him, what a nice guy he was and how honest. Every once in a while you hear about one of these paragons- it appears that Hargrave was actually that rare thing- a person of great virtue who is not stuffy or full of themselves but inistead really interesting and talented.

hcalmar
08-31-2006, 04:35 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but are the current crop of Hargrave Yachts his design and production.
Hal

jim rosenthal
08-31-2006, 05:10 PM
No. Hargrave passed away, I think in 2001? not sure. Michael Joyce, a Florida yacht broker (I think) bought the Hargrave name and prior designs, as I understand it. I think, though, that the office may have been reopened before that...I can't remember. I don't know who is drawing their yachts now. There are a few here in Annapolis- they seems well done and solidly built, although the esthetics are not always what I would like.

SeaEric
08-31-2006, 05:21 PM
A lot of the new designs are not to my liking. Funny thing: I have a 1970 Yachting Magazine "Boat Show Edition" that touts the new design from C. Raymond Hunt. The new and notable 1970 design is the now current model Eastbay, which as we all know is wildly popular.

Just like the now "classic" Hargrave designs- I believe you could build them today and they would sell.

egaito
08-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Does the book mention that he once drew houseboats?

We had a local manufacturer here in GA that built Lazy Days houseboats out of aluminum. One of their claims to fame was that Hargrave drew the hull.

Fanfare
08-31-2006, 07:05 PM
And there's also the famous Jungle Queen excursion "paddlewheeler" (wheel is phony) which gives frequent tours of Ft. Lauderdale. It must be frequent because I ALWAYS meet it on the New River, usuallly at the narrow Florida turn. Carries two decks of people, goes about 7 kts, and leaves no wake.

Walter P
08-31-2006, 11:30 PM
How about it Steve and Doug --- It seems to me that if you get a few cases of this book you would sell them all in short order. It would make it easy for forum members to get a copy and how appropriate that we buy ours from The Hatteras Owners Forum. You might include some sort of forum member certificate with each copy - it would be a must have for every Hatteras owner (or wannabee).

Walt P

jim rosenthal
09-03-2006, 10:39 AM
I would like to thank everyone for the kind comments on this book on the forum. As some of you know, I used to be a journalist (albeit a photographer) and still write on occasion. It has been very gratifying to me to see the positive reception for this outstanding work.

I do not know what the author is currently up to, but it occurred to me to try and find out. It also occurred to me, since I am going to try to organize another Chesapeake Hatteras (and friends!) rendevous for next summer, that it is possible that the author, Marilyn Mower, may be available as a speaker, and to sign copies of her book. This will give me something to do over the long winter months when Blue Note is in Virginia on the operating table at Zimmerman Marine.

34Hatt
09-05-2006, 10:36 AM
O.K I Knew of the book never bought it yet :mad: . Now I need too, would much rather buy from Sam's so count me in for a book. Also went to buy more Hatteras glasses the short on the rock glass and no longer see them ??? :confused:
Jim If you keep that up your going to force me to make a trip South :D
Just need that fuel price to keep going down :cool: .

SKYCHENEY
09-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Also went to buy more Hatteras glasses the short on the rock glass and no longer see them ??? :confused:

I was looking for those too. Those are some nice glasses and we use them all of the time. What happened?

administrator
09-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Posted for Tomrealest (Tomrealest@aol.com)

In May 2004, Jarrett Bay and Hatteras Yachts invited my friend Andy Dixon and I to a Rendezvous and tour of the Hatteras factory in New Bern. The day after the tour they gave us the opportunity to ride down to Beaufort, NC on Knit Wits. As mentioned on the forum they located the boat in Panama and brought it back to High Point, NC. It has been restored by some of the Hatteras plant workers. Over all she is in very good condition and very solid.

The boat was the idea of Willis Slane who got twenty investors to put up the money for the company. A young Jack Hargraves, naval architect from West Palm Beach, Florida designed the boat.

The day of the trip, the conditions were poor with high winds and quit a chop. Check out the flags straight out in the wind in the pictures. It was no match for Knit Wits as she handled the seas quite well, after all she was the first Hatteras.
Tomrealest (Tomrealest@aol.com)