PDA

View Full Version : Using No Dull

captbuddy
07-31-2006, 10:01 AM
I think I'm calling it right. It's the cotton swaps you polish the stainless rails and bimini braces with. After using it on the top braces we take a cloth and wipe it down thinking we are getting all the black off. Several days later looking at the under side of the bimini top where the braces are touching it is black. Is there any thing to use to clean the stainless after polishing them?
captbuddy

Freebird
07-31-2006, 10:17 AM
Never Dull is the name you're thinking of. This stuff works great, but it is kind of messy and difficult to remove all the black residue. Don't know of anything else to follow up with on stainless. This stuff usually does the trick all by itself.

Liquid Asset
07-31-2006, 10:17 AM
I think it is called Never Dull

captbuddy
07-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Yes, that is the stuff. Just trying to find something that will get all the black residue off the stainless after polishing. Like you said, great stuff but gets messy.
captbuddy

Will
07-31-2006, 11:19 AM
I've used Flitz on Stainless and brass. It works well but is expensive.

Will

StratPlan61
07-31-2006, 11:25 AM
Abrasion causes the 'black' rub off as you know. Try waxing the stainless after buffing - it will prolong/eliminate most of it. Use Johnson's Paste Wax (comes in a big yellow can, as used for furniture). It is a little harder than most auto waxes, I usually find it in a hardware store) Wherever you eliminate the abrasion - you will eliminate the black rub off.
Clear, soft vinyl tubing, split length-wise will cover many top bows and other rub points also. Hope this helps.

Bear'
1984 61 MY Strategic Plan

GaryNW
07-31-2006, 12:30 PM
I used to use Never-Dull on fish hooks, flashers etc but I got tired of that black crap on the hands and the drying out of skin. I would think soap and water would remove it from stainless. I got some Spot-X to deal with water-spotted glass that nothing would touch (it works) and tryed some on stainless rails. Wow! Aside from just cleaning, it polishes in the sense that you get a finer surface finish that only a pummace or equal can produce. Follow-up with a good wax is probably next-havn't got around to it yet.
Gary

captbuddy
07-31-2006, 01:36 PM
Where can I purchase the Spot-X at?
captbuddy

GaryNW
07-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Just type it (Spot-X) into google and buy direct. They are in Tacoma, Wa. I live 70 miles from there, but still had to buy online.
Gary

Traveler 45C
08-01-2006, 11:09 AM
For your SS and any other metal I recommend Miracle Cloth available at WM.

This is all that I use on all of my metals. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/10726/0/0/Miracle%20Cloth/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0

I gave it a try after PowerBoat Reports raved about it, then I gave away the Never Dull.

captbuddy
08-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Thanks Traveler,
I'll try that the next time I'm at the boat.
captbuddy