PDA

View Full Version : Removing Batteries 53MY

Orion
05-17-2004, 12:28 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on the best way to get the batteries out and back in on a 53. The set that is located on the starboard side seem very difficult to get to. I thought the battery box could be moved all though it seems to be stationary.
Thanks Orion

dshuman
05-17-2004, 03:16 PM
I have a 1978 53MY and got mine out as follows:

It's MUCH easier with some strong help. Doung it alone depends on your size and strength.
Protect the galley floor with something appropriate like a rubber sheet.
Remove the galley table.
Remove the sole plate (hatch) under the galley table (this exposes the 2 forward batteries).
remove the battery box cover
Attach 6 ft. ropes, to the handles of the port front battery (you have to do this one first)
Use the ropes as long lifting straps standing above the hatch, feet on both sides. The battery has to be lifted high enough to clear the top of the battery box, then turned sideways, still held by the ropes, so you can dip the port end down enough to lift the sb end up and out first. The battery comes out somewhat tilted, but mine didn't leak or spill.
set the battery in the upside down battery box cover.
Now do the same with the 2nd battery.
Now that the forward box is empty, lift the aft box batteries up, forward end first, and slide them into the forward battery box (this is a difficult move).
Remove them the same way.

Orion
05-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the tip. I don't know why they made the battery box so tall it wouldn't be as difficult if it were shorter.
Orion

dshuhman
05-17-2004, 07:25 PM
They made it that tall so they could put a top on it that's strong enough for you to stand on or lie down on to fill or check the aft battery bank. If it were shorter, the top would be so tall you couldn't get it off.

I agree it'd be MUCH easier to get them out if it were just a battery tray, not a box. Then you could kneel in it to get at the aft batteries too. They could be cut down to 3 in. tall with a good cutoff saw. The tradeoff is no battery box.

dshuman
05-17-2004, 07:30 PM
OOPS - If you cut it down, then you'd have to strap them down. The tall box also ensures they can't move around if you're riding out a storm. I've been in some stuff in the Great Lakes that rearranged all the furniture in the saloon. Wouldn't want that to happen to batteries.

PascalG
05-17-2004, 08:05 PM
the batteries configuration must have been changed on my 53 (1970)... I have one bank on each side of the genset, outboard of the stringer. 4 8volt batteries on each side, pretty easy to access to top off and they don't seem that big... each is just a little larger than a car battery... the battery boxes have been cut at some point when the setup was changed. dont know how much longer they'll last (they're marked Jan 2001 :-( ) but it doesn't seem to be a big deal to pull out.

I have just enough room to lie on top of the genset sound box to top off the stbd bak without opening the other hatch and taking out the table...

spartonboat1
05-18-2004, 01:53 AM
The battery boxes should seem quite secure, as they are actually fiberglassed solidly into place. However, the wooden plate for support under them can rot and therefore, they may break loose. So check to see if they move- they shouldn't.

I had a surveyor ding me for not having the boxes strapped down; mentally I dinged him for not knowing any better.

Great Lakes seas

questover
05-18-2004, 01:59 PM
I cut an access panel under the drawer at the aft seat area to service the aft batteries. At least you can see if
you have enough water in batteries.

Russ

dshuman
05-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks to "Guestover" for the great idea to cut an access panel under the aft galley seat to check and refill. I'll do it too.

The original question was how to get them out. The guy with the batteries "not much bigger than a car" doesn't have the original size. They're very large and heavy.

PascalG
05-18-2004, 06:01 PM
dshuman... so what is the original config?

curious to know... is it one huge 32v battery for each side? or 4 8 votls? I'd like to know to make sure I get the right one in the future and jsut whatever was installed in the past...

dshuman
05-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Pascal - It's 4 ea. 8v batteries on each side. Two batteries completely fill up the original battery box. They're as long as the box and half as wide. I believe they're "8D" but I'd have to check. Sam's Marine can tell you exacty. The sb bank is connected to the sb engine starting motor only. The port bank is the "house bank" for all the consumers. I believe you have mentioned that you have the original "parallel switch" to start either side from either bank if one runs low.

Doug

PascalG
05-19-2004, 11:07 AM
yes I have the paralel solenoid

I also have a selector switch on the electrical panel (in the port engine room on the 1970) to switch house loads to the port or stbd battery bank.

pascal

Dick
05-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Pascal (or anyone):

Is there anything to maintain on the parallel selector sw? I.e., something to grease or whatever?

I'm not even sure where mine is located or what it looks like.

Dick

PascalG
05-21-2004, 11:43 PM
dick,

on my boat, the paralele solenoid is on the generator room rear bulkhead... hard to miss... about 2" diameter, 3" tall with 2 heavy battery cables and a few smaller wires. when you flick the switch at the lower helm, you hear it engaging. dont' think there is much to maintain...

I checked my batteries, they're Exide E4800 (4 on each banks) and indeed they are surprisingly small... size of a car battery.. actually even smaller than what I have in my car... a previous owner got creative at some point... :-)

pascal
70 53MY

oldhatt2
05-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Let me just throw in another 2 cents worth about this solenoid. It can be serviced, and probably should be looked at on older boats. I discovered my parallel was not working a couple of years ago when I was having battery problems. The switch worked, and I could hear the solenoid "clunk" when it engaged, but I was not getting 12 V to the other side. I decided that the solenoid was bad and removed it to buy a replacement. Since it was "broken" any way I took the three small screws out of the top and took it apart. This thing is all most too simple. My problem was that the contact points were glazed over. A little cleaning and a dab of grease on the shaft, and it is working as good as new. I bet that there are a lot of these on boats out there that are only partially working or are not transferring full voltage that can be solved simply. Safe Boating:D
Sam

RICKEY
03-31-2008, 09:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on the best way to get the batteries out and back in on a 53. The set that is located on the starboard side seem very difficult to get to. I thought the battery box could be moved all though it seems to be stationary.
Thanks Orion

I'am not sure what you have on your 53, but on mine there is a deck hatch that you swing open right over the star battery boxes. its located under the gally table. if you don't have a hatch it can be hard to remove the batterys cause you have to drag them around the DD gen set. on mine you life the batterys straight up and up the stairs. but,,,,, there are still heavy. best to have a friend do it for you.

spindrift
04-01-2008, 08:26 AM
I have worked with a friend who has a 53MY. He has replaced the batteries with the Rolls Battery removable cell system. A bit pricy but a piece of cake as each 2 volt cell slides into the factory supplied container.

A little bit pricy but these batteries (I have used them in the past) seem to be very robust.

DWM

MikeP
04-01-2008, 09:46 PM
I vowed a few months ago that when the 8 8v batts need replacing, they will be replaced by the Rolls/Surette 2v cell system. The oem Hatt batts (Surettes) lasted longer than the three sets of (relatively) cheap replacement batteries that came after them!

spindrift
04-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Mike

Just remember that the relatively pricey Rolls / Surettes are cheaper than a hernia truss!

DWM