PDA

View Full Version : Location and access to aft shower sump pump...?

Zydeco IV
06-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Okay, so I've got a '78 53 MY. Please, someone tell me where this darn thing is and how I can access it?

JLR
06-02-2006, 02:37 PM
If in the same place as my 56, there is a hatch just forward of the bunk in the aft stateroom floor.

Fanfare
06-02-2006, 03:09 PM
In the 50MY it's midship on the stbd. side of the generator room, behind the batteries. Not where you would expect at all! A diaphram bilge pump sucks the water all the way forward. When I moved it I learned why--that location is unused, dry and usually needs little maintenance. The output was forward under the flare of the bow and the "putt-putt" of the pump sucking dry as guests would conserve shower water was less audible on deck. Somehow that long run of hose under the engine room kept sand and hair from affecting the pump.

MikeP
06-02-2006, 03:50 PM
In our 53 MY with the Centerline queen, it is located under an access panel that is underneath the bed. Remove the mattress, remove the large hatch at the head of the bed, step into that area, remove the hatch you see at your feet and you will see the sump/pump assembly.

If it's not a centerline queen - I don't know. I would expect there is an access panel either in the floor or under one of the beds.

mike
06-02-2006, 04:44 PM
On our '72 vintage 53MY the sump is in the stbd eng room, in the bilge under the fwd left side of the engine.

stewart
06-02-2006, 04:50 PM
On my 58MY sump at foot of master queen bed under hatch.Cheers

Nonchalant1
06-04-2006, 11:05 AM
We have a 1978 53MY with athwartship queen bed. It's under the foot of the bed in the middle of the stateroom floor. You take the drawers out of the foot of the bed area and there's an access hatch panel in the floor there. I'm sure they're all in that same location, just different ways to get at the hatch cover. It's about dead center of the room both directions measuring from the windows on each side and measuring from the windows to the hanging closet wall front to back. There's a bilge and a separate fiberglass shower sump and separate pump for the aft shower and mid-head shower. The bottom of that bilge is also has the gravity feed connection hose between the middle freshwater tank and the lazarette freshwater tank.

Doug Shuman