PDA

View Full Version : Hull Drain

JKC
05-17-2004, 03:54 PM
I do not understand the need for a "hull drain" located in the forward bilge of my 1978 37C. I broke the whole assembly loose from the hull trying to open it recently and had to take it out to reseal it. It obviously has not ever been used and I can see why. Most bilges do not drain to this location because of bulkheads, so it really does not drain the boat. So rather than reinstalling it, I'm going to patch the hole. Does anyone know why I should not do this?

Jackman
05-17-2004, 04:33 PM
I left my hull drain intact because when I pull her out every year on the hard and put her on blocks it acts as a drian for any water that may get in the bildge from rain. (I didn't get shrink wrapped because I worked on her all winter.) If you get your boat shrink wrapped you may not need to have a drain for "my" reason. Anyhow...since the boat is slightly angled up in the forward direction the mid-bildge is a lowpoint...which is where my drain is.

Scott Mather
05-17-2004, 06:58 PM
I did the exact same thing, broke the handle of the fitting
on forward drain this year on 1978 37C.
It looks like it has not been opened in years if ever.
I agree, water would never be able to drain from here because of bulkheads.

jim rosenthal
05-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Doesn't that model Hatteras have limber holes or tubes that allow the water to drain to the bilge sump? My older 36 model does. I would reinstall the drain; boats do fill up with water on land when hauled out, from various mishaps, and no one ever expects it. The catch is that you have to keep the plug greased and take it out every winter. But if you dispense with it, when you need it you'll think that you made a mistake.

Scott Mather
05-18-2004, 10:21 AM
Yes, there holes for the bilge to drain to the sump.
That sump is in the front of the engine room under the salon. The drain we are talking about is all the way forward in the bow under the floor in the forward stateroom. This area is seperated from the main bilge by bulkheads. The only way for water to get to this location is to come from inside the boat, not the bilge.
If water gets into here there is a much bigger problem.

JKC
05-18-2004, 11:29 AM
Scott, did you patch the hole or are you reinstalling the drain?

jim rosenthal
05-18-2004, 10:57 PM
Scott, I agree that if the drain won't keep the boat from filling up with water when it's hauled out it doesn't serve much purpose. I am just surprised they would set it up like that; the drydock plug should be at the lowest point of the bilge area so it lets the bilge drain when the boat is hauled. I guess I would permanently close it as well; I'm just perplexed that it would be designed that way. Makes no sense.

DaveP3
05-19-2004, 01:05 AM
OK guys, while I am not an expert on the 37ft'ers our 45 Convertible has the same arrangement. A large thru hull plug in the forward bilge just aft of the holding tank. This plug is just as Jim inferred, for drainage during storage. If you look at your boat from the side after layup you will notice a VERY slight bow down attitude. Why this is the standard manner I have no idea but it seems to be. And as such any moisture, rain runoff, snow melt or water residue needs to drain out during layup. And I think if you all can somehow get into your bilge areas near the "bulkheads" you will see lumber holes. There is absolutely no way for the bulkheads to be solid, think of all the wiring, plumbing, and misc holes added for extras throught the life of your boat, theres all must have space to prevent chafing and breakage, therefore you all have some type of "lumber" holes in your bilges. I know my boat has them, I sent my little nephew into the bilges just last fall to make sure they were all open, and he found many of them fouled with trash, carpet fibers, dropped screws and bolts.
You can seal up those holes but think of it this way....Hatteras builds a quality boat why would they put a hole in the bottom unless they thought it was for a good reason. A better idea is to replace any broken plugs (they should be standard SAE threaded stock) and make sure you remove them every winter and them reinstall them in the spring.
I know mine do some good, there is usually a wet spot under the hole in the spring. Not a lot but it keeps mildew and moisture out of your boat while it's layed up.

Jaxfishgyd
05-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Was surprised and happy to see this topic. As I have just "splashed" our boat Monday after painting the hull(see preparing the hull for painting), I too was surprise to see a "drain plug" when I looked at my blueprints as I was getting water in the forward potion of the boat the last month before being hauled out.
My "drain plug thru fitting" WAS leaking. I had the marina repack it, as I too figure Hatteras knew what they were doing when they put it in..
But living in Florida, we never think of the hauling the boat out for winterizing........

67HAT34C
05-28-2004, 11:16 AM
ALL HATTERAS BOATS ARE DESIGNED TO DRAIN FORWARD. IF YOUR BILDGE IS NOT DRAINING THEN THE HOLES ARE CLOGGED UP. RECOMMEND USING WATER PRESSURE AND SHOP VAC TO CLEAN OUT. THEN USE BILDGE CLEANER TO BREAK DOWN THE LAYER OF OIL THAT IS MOST LIKELY COATING THESE HIDDEN SPACES.

Dick
05-28-2004, 09:27 PM
I must admit, I too saw this plug. While having the bottom worked on a couple years ago, I removed it and glassed over the hole. Could not see any use as it's located in the galley bilge on my 44 about 12" from the bilge pump. Of course in the NW, the boat's in the water ready to go all year long except for an occasional haulout for bottom work. I just couldn't see an application for another hole in the boat.

Dick

jim rosenthal
05-31-2004, 12:03 AM
I know of at least one boat that "sank" on land in the marina that I use; the plug was left in, the boat hauled, and no one came to check on it. In the spring the boat was full of water- snow melt, rain, etc. Completely ruined all the running gear, wiring, interior, etc. Just a pity as it was totally avoidable. For winter haulouts, I cover the boat, take the plug out, and carefully follow the graving diagram for haulout, which should be in your owner's manual. It specifies how to haul and block the boat, and what angle if any the bow is down by. This should ensure that any water in the bilge will drain to the plug and out of the boat.

Dazed338
05-29-2019, 11:02 PM
I do not understand the need for a "hull drain" located in the forward bilge of my 1978 37C. I broke the whole assembly loose from the hull trying to open it recently and had to take it out to reseal it. It obviously has not ever been used and I can see why. Most bilges do not drain to this location because of bulkheads, so it really does not drain the boat. So rather than reinstalling it, I'm going to patch the hole. Does anyone know why I should not do this?

Here is a line from My Marine survey "Anchor rode lockerX
Thru-deck pipe, drain to bilge, access at V-berth." Has a hand pump in a Locker, last owner added a Automatic Bilge pump. In my 31 C I have a T Handle plug that goes in it, on the hard it's like a 1 inch stand pipe with the plug removed, and not flush with the hull.

Dazed338
05-29-2019, 11:25 PM
Heres what it says in my owners Manual about it, not much but is mentioned.