PDA

View Full Version : Replacing headliner...

Dave Phipps
05-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Does anyone have any experience with replacing the headliner in a mid 80s Hatteras? I have a few discolorations and stains, and the material itself is getting brittle. I'm sure the stains are from a few small water leaks from above that will require rebedding of screws...and I think this will be a winter project following fall layup. In the meantime though, I would like to develop a feel for what I'm in for if someone here has already replaced their headliner. As usual, the devil is in the details, such as the edging around the headliner at the forward end of the salon around the overhead instrument cabinet. How is the material held in place? Is it stapled onto the ceiling ribs? What about at the outside edges? Is it hard to pull taunt without ripples?

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated! Thanks! :confused:

SKYCHENEY
05-15-2006, 10:12 PM
I just replaced the headliner in all 3 heads. It is stapled in and the hideum strip is stapled over that to cover the staples. It is a bit tricky and you will get a little frustrated at first, but after working with it, you will get the hang of it. I had to pull out staples on the first attempt but I got better at it by the end. It came out looking great and I plan to do some other larger areas next winter. I bought my materials from www.sailrite.com They have the stuff that looks identical to the OEM headliner. I think Sams carries it also.

StratPlan61
05-15-2006, 10:41 PM
I'm certain you already planned on it, but just in case, make sure you use 'monel' or stainless steel staples. I used heavy, maybe .060 cardboard-like material as the hideum board and it worked great. As Skye says, after a few 'seams' you'll get the hang of it. Large areas like salons take a couple of patient helpers and the taller they are the happier everyone will be - it can get ugly after several hours of working with your arms over your head. A very warm-to hot day helps the material stretch and look nice. Good luck, not a job you want to do often.

Bear'
1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

Maynard Rupp
05-16-2006, 08:41 AM
I would deal with the leaks first. You said that your boat is a "mid 80s" as our 36C is. Our flybridge wasn't installed at Hatteras as they trucked the boat to Toledo when new. The flybridge was never installed properly. Bruce Morrison from Hatteras, a great tech rep., gave me the correct procedure. Take a bright light at night and shove it in an outer compartment. Look where the light comes through. We found that our console assy. was never caulked to the side of the flybridge. We also found lots of light escaping above the filler strips for the drain channels. We caulked all that stuff with 4200. Next we removed all screws, dipped them in 5200 and re-installed them. Finally, we taped both sides of the console to roof joint and spread a bead of 3M 4000. This product is designed to stand up to UV. Our headliner never got wet, but our cornice boards were water stained. Don't worry too much about the coring in the roof. Later 80's boats used foam instead of balsa, but even the balsa should be OK as the water path is vertical and with the grain. The only wet areas should be adjacent to the screws and the 5200 should catch that. Our previous owner had a flybridge cover made to stop the problem. Please don't just cover it up; FIX the problem correctly and NOW.

Fanfare
05-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Also check the screws holding your helm seat to the deck. Mine leaked and needed resealing.