PDA

View Full Version : Stand Alone Dehumidifiers- Good idea or not worth it?

jrmccoy
02-06-2020, 05:35 PM
Guys...I notice that I my humidity onboard tracked pretty much with the prevailing exterior conditions, especially during the winter when the AC’s weren’t running much.Since we live in Charleston, SC it’s humid all the time so I got a stand-alone dehumidifier which measures about that which rolls conveniently under the galley dinette on Maggie Mae (53-MY)...and i put her to work. It’s rated to dehumidify about 1400 sq ft so I leave the companionway doors open and let the big dog eat. It pumps an incredible amount of moisture out....estimate a gallon every 8 hours or so. I had never had a moisture problem per se, but from a climate control standpoint it “feels” better (ie not as clammy)....so in the long run it’s got to help keep down interior moisture related problems? So what have been others experience in using dehumidifiers onboard.

Westfield 11
02-06-2020, 08:55 PM
I have two down below running 24/7, it keeps it nice and dry and helps immensely with the comfort factor. One in the master stateroom and one in the hall between the VIP stateroom and VIP head. When we have the engine room doors open for maintenance the one in the hall needs to be emptied every day, otherwise they can go two or three days between filling up once you get the humidity down. I keep them set to 50% all the time.
BTW, the dehumidifiers are running at the same time as the air conditioning which is supposed to lower the humidity and yet they constantly pull moisture out of the air. As far as I am concerned, the drier the better! We live aboard so we manually empty them as needed.

finatic
02-07-2020, 08:04 AM
I run one whenever the boat is closed up for several days or more. Really helps keep it dry. BTW, I use the water it generates for the batteries since it is by definition "distilled" water.

Dan Mapes
02-07-2020, 08:57 AM
I run one whenever the boat is closed up for several days or more. Really helps keep it dry. BTW, I use the water it generates for the batteries since it is by definition "distilled" water.

I'd be leery of using that water in batteries. After all it could have airborne extras, and oxidation from the dehumidifier.

Distilled water is pretty cheap at the drug store or supermarket.

eze2bme
02-07-2020, 09:09 AM
I also have used one for years now - it is plumbed to discharge overboard. Works great.

rustybucket
02-07-2020, 09:38 AM
I have one setup on the counter in the guest head. It drains straight into the sink to overboard. Also considered plumbing it to the bilge to keep the bilge water nice and clean and non-stagnant.

Makes a huge difference in how the boat feels/smells after being shut up for a week or two.

Jammin'
02-07-2020, 09:48 AM
I use one that drains in the shower in the summer. It doesn't seem to do as much in the winter when the temperature is lower.

racclarkson@gmail.com
02-07-2020, 09:51 AM
I have one setup on the counter in the guest head. It drains straight into the sink to overboard. Also considered plumbing it to the bilge to keep the bilge water nice and clean and non-stagnant.Makes a huge difference in how the boat feels/smells after being shut up for a week or two. You have water in your bilges?

rsmith
02-07-2020, 09:58 AM
You have water in your bilges?

Shocking mines mostly oil

jrmccoy
02-07-2020, 11:28 AM
So I’m reassured that many of you find that’s it’s worthwhile. The one I just got is kind of neat in that it has a built in pump and I can attach a line to it and run it to a sink or bilge or overboard as need be. I currently have it pumping into the galley sink, but will plumb it elsewhere less invasive when I get a moment. I thought about running it to a bilge but most of my forward bilge space is dry and I don’t want to introduce a new source of water. My engine room bilges are not dry as unlike Robert I don’t have dripless seals..so maybe I’ll plumb to there.

rustybucket
02-07-2020, 11:43 AM
You have water in your bilges?

I bow down before thee oh mighty keeper of the clean bilge! lol :D. Yeah, there is always a little water in by bilges. It is freshwater, usually from me washing or spraying something. The pumps don't suck it all the way out, so unless I go in with a shop vac there will always be a little. For the most part my bilges are oil free, until I screw up and spill some in them. I keep diapers under the engines for the known leaks/slobbers (getting that number down lower every season though!).

Someday I'll be able to vacuum out my bilges and expect them to stay dry!!

Westfield 11
02-07-2020, 11:53 AM
How do you know the bilge water is fresh? Do you taste it? Or are there salt detecting test strips? I am very leery of putting my bilge water on my tongue although I have been tempted as a leak location method. Anyway, is it safe to ingest bilge water even in tiny amounts?

rustybucket
02-07-2020, 12:18 PM
How do you know the bilge water is fresh? Do you taste it? Or are there salt detecting test strips? I am very leery of putting my bilge water on my tongue although I have been tempted as a leak location method. Anyway, is it safe to ingest bilge water even in tiny amounts?

lol, not sure I'd taste it. We know it's fresh b/c the only time it rises is when we spray fresh water in it. We have dripless shaft seals so there is no real way for saltwater to get into the ER other than if we are spraying saltwater on the back deck or rear bilge it will flow forward (when at idle or rest) to the ER.

racclarkson@gmail.com
02-07-2020, 12:34 PM
Anyway, is it safe to ingest bilge water even in tiny amounts?Depends. How's your immune system holding up? You've got holding tanks, hoses, head pumps and God knows what, and the bilges are interconnected. Personally, I got a tetanus shot when I bought Aslan.

rustybucket
02-07-2020, 01:12 PM
Depends. How's your immune system holding up? You've got holding tanks, hoses, head pumps and God knows what, and the bilges are interconnected. Personally, I got a tetanus shot when I bought Aslan.

Guarantee there is some of my blood in my bilge water!! Knuckle skin as well!!

oscarvan
02-07-2020, 02:22 PM
1: On previous boat I put the dehumidifier on the sink/galley countertop draining into the sink.

2: Dehumidifiers tend to ice up below 65ºF. There are "Basement Dehumidifiers" which have a defrost cycle built in.

3: A developed sense of taste is the advanced mechanics friend. We're talking "TASTE" not "INGEST".... lol. TIP: Smell it first.

Jammin'
02-07-2020, 02:45 PM
I've been working on my boat every weekend and vacuum out any water. When the conditions are right, condensation runs down the inside of the boat and creates pools of water.

racclarkson@gmail.com
02-07-2020, 02:48 PM
Guarantee there is some of my blood in my bilge water!! Knuckle skin as well!! Ya think?

bigbill
02-07-2020, 07:26 PM
from what i have heard , you DONT want distilled water in your bilge, that is why the a/c condensate drain goes overboard not into the bilge. it causes premature rot in wood and causes smells

Entonces
02-10-2020, 07:30 PM
JR, I've done the Pepsi taste test! Sorry we haven't met up again. I'll be back in the US in April. Hope your around then.

Vincentc
02-16-2020, 01:01 PM
A dehumidifier also helps the closet doors shut. If water discharge is an issue, a condensate pump costs about $50 and does a great job.

jim rosenthal
02-16-2020, 02:16 PM
I'm in favor of keeping boat interiors as dry as reasonably possible. But I don't think the water condensing in a dehumidifier is distilled- distillation refers to a process where you turn water to steam and then chill the steam so it condenses. For your batteries, which cost a good amount, I'd use bottled distilled water.

We should all have bilges that are as clean as Aslan's. But only one of us does. While mine look okay, and the only water in there is what the bilge stripping pump can't pick up, they are a far cry from Aslan's. If I thought RAC could teach me to keep mine that clean and tidy, I'd fly him up here to give me lessons.

Not a bad idea now that I think of it.

racclarkson@gmail.com
02-16-2020, 02:50 PM
I'm in favor of keeping boat interiors as dry as reasonably possible. But I don't think the water condensing in a dehumidifier is distilled- distillation refers to a process where you turn water to steam and then chill the steam so it condenses. For your batteries, which cost a good amount, I'd use bottled distilled water. We should all have bilges that are as clean as Aslan's. But only one of us does. While mine look okay, and the only water in there is what the bilge stripping pump can't pick up, they are a far cry from Aslan's. If I thought RAC could teach me to keep mine that clean and tidy, I'd fly him up here to give me lessons. Not a bad idea now that I think of it. 9365348813. That’s my Delta frequent flyer number, and they ARE ready when you are. Btw, muchas gracious.

ralexa6808
04-02-2020, 06:37 PM
Soooooo....for the cost of an airline ticket Robert will clean out my bilges.....WOW such a deal!

racclarkson@gmail.com
04-02-2020, 06:46 PM
Soooooo....for the cost of an airline ticket Robert will clean out my bilges.....WOW such a deal! I’m sheltering in my place.

Photolomy
04-02-2020, 08:26 PM
The processes are the same, the water (humidity) in the air was evaporated, and then condensed by the A/C or Dehumidifier. However, in distilling, you condense the water immediately after it evaporates, in a closed and very clean system of tubing. In nature, the water evaporates in air (for quite a long time) and picks up all the impurities in the air, not to mention the bacteria and crap on the coils of the AC unit. I would drink rain, which is essentially the same stuff, but not condensate from an A/C unit because of the dirty coils. I would put neither in a battery, unless that was my only choice.

Boatsb
04-02-2020, 08:35 PM
Distilled water is transferred from liquid to steam with heat and the process sterilizes the water vapor plus contains it in a sterile environment until condensed.

Kbar
09-27-2021, 04:58 PM
Where do people put their dehumidifiers? I have heard that condensation finds its way to the highest points in the boat. Any truth in that? Thanks for your help! New Boat owner.

jim rosenthal
09-27-2021, 05:01 PM
I think you can pretty much put them anywhere, as long as you have a fan or two circulating the interior air a bit.

cww
09-27-2021, 08:58 PM
I have two dehumidifiers, one in the aft cabin bathroom and one in the galley. Both are self draining models that drain into the sinks and overboard. The ones that fill up a tank and turn off are useless. They are extremely valuable to keeping the interior nice.

Tricia II
10-04-2021, 06:31 PM
We used one from Lowe's but they won't last much more than a year or so. We purchased a small commercial unit and put in the galley and drains to the sink. We use an off the shelf squirrel cage type blower in the aft cabin and V-birth to move air. We only use when not on the boat.
The commercial one we use is now about 6 years old and works great. We only use it when not on the boat. Alorair is the brand we use.