PDA

View Full Version : Converting twins to Queen - 53MY

mikep996
06-07-2004, 05:45 PM
I couldn't find anything in the archives...

Several 53MYs we have looked at have twin beds in the master stateroom. We want a center or atharwtships queen. I don't want to eliminate twin-bed boats that may otherwise meet our "requirements." Has anyone converted from twins to a queen? Is it just a matter of removing the twins, installing a queen and moving cabinets around or does additional paneling have to be installed from where the twins were removed to match the original wood?

Any ideas or "How-I-Did-Its" are very welcome.

Thanks,

MikeP

divernc
06-07-2004, 06:12 PM
I have the same question, but on a 1979 43C?

PascalG
06-07-2004, 06:38 PM
Mike

I posted the same question last year, around august. got a few repllies, check them...

earlier boats, up to probably 71 or 72, can only be converted to a queen size bed against the port side.

on mine, and other early 53s I assume, the steering gear is in the way as its on a wood shelf above the water tank. as a result you can't cut in enough to recess the queen on the centerline.

building a queen along the port side seems to be straightforward carpentry work... the muffler is there but low enough not to interfere. let me know if you want detailed picture of teh set up...

on the stbd side, I have build in drawers that don't go all the way down, instead I have a step, aligned on the head wall, which opens from the top. coudl be used for more storage although on mine that's where the vacuflush vacum reservoir is.

pascal
1970 53MY

skammtoo
06-08-2004, 09:25 AM
On my 1965 50' motoryacht, it's like Pascale says. athwartship off the port side. The dresser drawers that were on the center of the transom, were moved to the starboard side. Basically it was put right on top of the platform that was the starboard side berth.

The new queen was built over the exaust system and two "end tables" fill the gaps between the transom and the hanging lockers.

Not a bad setup. The good part is no tankage to worry about moving. My old 41TC had the fuel tanks under the berths.

K

stilespb
06-18-2004, 07:52 PM
I have a 58 yachtfish similar to 53MYs inside and also live on it in a Marina that has had up to 5 53MYs on my dock, most with Queens.

On mine and the others there are large exhaust baffle boxes outboard to port and stbd beneath the original twin bunk areas.

Converting to Queen means extending the bunk shelf over the exhaust boxes to become the based of the queen. This means lots of finished joinery work for a good boatwright or cabinet maker.

I have seen queens athwartship from corners, centerline with outboard cabinets hiding the exhaust boxes, and athwartship from mid stateroom longitudinally so you could walk around both sides of the queen.