PDA

View Full Version : No DC power

Dustoff44
06-04-2004, 11:30 PM
I have no 32 volt power.
I have replaced batteries 2 banks of 4 each 8 volt brand new Interstate batteries in series. Sentry battery charger was bench checked found no significant problems. ( replaced cooling fan )
I find that most wires have about 9 volts. DC lights come on very dim.
Does anyone know of a master breaker somewhere that might cause a voltage drop ?
Also with batteries disconnected the charger shows about a 20a draw

giessmanac
06-05-2004, 01:32 AM
Check each bank of batteries with a voltmeter and make sure you have 32vdc. If not recheck and make sure the batteries are all connected properly. When you say the batteries are disconnected do you mean by way of the battery disconnect switch or removing the battery cables? Check the condition of all of your cables for corrosion. Start down the system with a voltmeter measuring voltage at the disconnect switchs and so on until you find where your voltage drops to 9v. Do you have the Hatteras wiring diagram for the vessel? If not the whole set for my 53C was only $75.00 from Hatteras. There isn't a better investment. BG

Dustoff44
06-05-2004, 02:20 AM
I have blueprints with most electric diagrams but none have the batteries or chargers etc.
I have checked the batteries with the cables disconnected @ 32 volts also output of battery charger @ 35.8 volts:(

PascalG
06-05-2004, 12:01 PM
follow the cable from each battery bank and look for extra switches, bad connections, etc...check voltage a each connection or switch.

shut off all the breakers on the panel in case there is a short somewhere then turn then on one by one although It wouldn't cause voltage to drop so drastically....

what model/year?

pascal
70 53my

Dustoff44
06-05-2004, 02:43 PM
Vessel is 1971 Hatteras 58YF323 "Sea Catsle"
THe 58' Yacht Fisherman is essentially a 53 Motoryacht with a cockpit

PascalG
06-06-2004, 02:15 PM
odd... the 32v diagram in the owners manual for my 70 53MY show the baterries, charger, etc...

all there shoudl be between the battery and the main panel are the battery switches and the the port/stbd selector on the panel. I also have large blade type discon switch in the engine rooms for the starters.

pascal

hatteraswannabe
06-07-2004, 03:12 AM
Have you checked for a fuse in the panel that has your battery switches in them. We had a problem last summer and found out that one of the fuses had blown.

It should be on the wall in your engine room.

Don't know if this will help or not.

dshuman
06-07-2004, 11:37 AM
If you're getting 32v at the batteries, 32v at the starters and 9v at the wiring connector block in your port engine room, it must be the wires, connections or fuses between the batteries and the wiring terminal block.

Check the big fuses (that look like shotgun shells) on your engine room bulkheads. Pull them out of the fuse holders and use a continuity checker.

If you're getting 32v at the main terminal block, check for 32v at the circuit breaker panel on the sb wall of the lower helm. If you're getting 32v there, check backwards from the power wires that have 9v back to the circuit breaker or terminal block and you'll find it.

Dustoff44
06-19-2004, 12:43 AM
Power is now up and working problem was first the batteries which have been replaced and then both AGC bus fuses located just above the battery switches were bad, very interesting that neither fuse displayed a broken or burned through wire. Both were blown below the metal caps.....:rollin