PDA

View Full Version : another one gone, sadly

jim rosenthal
09-20-2018, 09:57 AM
Video on FB of an older Hatt convertible, looks like 70s or 80s, burning at the dock. Thought to be from the dock cord. Looks like a total loss.

Freeebird
09-20-2018, 11:55 AM
Also saw that on the Hatteras Owners Facebook page. Guy had no insurance either. Here's a before pic. Yes, he made this pic public as is his page. Boat was in NJ. 46C.

oscarvan
09-20-2018, 12:28 PM
That is sad to watch.

From the owner on FB:

It seems to have started where the power cord plugs into the boat. I guess the fuses did not do their job.

I've seen this before, and gotten close myself. Our shore power cords/connectors are prone to corrosion out there. Prongs, wires inside. This promotes resistance which equals heat.

The breakers didn't do their job because the glowing wires inside the plug(s) probably didn't draw more than a small space heater. But it's hot enough to get the materials around it burning.

Please check your power cords. Take them apart, shorten the wires and re-attach if there is ANY sign of corrosion. Make sure everything is tight and don't put more amps through them than they are rated for.

SEVEN
09-20-2018, 12:38 PM
I grab hold of it every week and check for heat. I also make sure it’s screwed in tight.

oscarvan
09-20-2018, 01:26 PM
I grab hold of it every week and check for heat. I also make sure it’s screwed in tight.

That's a start. But you also have to open it up once in a while and see the condition of the exposed end of the conduit that's in the connectors. This is where the problem is. Especially out there on the dock or side deck the (often salt) moisture wicks up in there and starts the corrosion process on each and every individual strand. This is why we use tinned wire as much as possible in the marine environment. Shore power cords are mostly not tinned....(At least not the ones I've seen).

If you've done enough DIY electrical work on an older boat you have taken something apart and held a black/green corroded wire end in your hand..... If it's a misbehaving nav light you go "Well, there's your problem".... if you're sending 120V AC current through it.... you may get serious problems.

Pascal
09-20-2018, 02:54 PM
Checking thebplugs on a regular basis is critical

Indeed most shorepower cords are not tinned despite costing ridiculous prices.

Over the last 6 weeks i noticed the 100amp plug on the boat I run getting warmer and over the same time the main circuit breaker at the cable master would trip almost daily unless i ran only one chiller.

. I ordered the $650 plug and replaced it yesterday. At some point someone had replaced it and nicked the insulation of one of the wires. Corrosion built up and that was causing the issue along with not fully tightening both screws on the connectors.

So far the new plugmis cooler and the breaker hasn’t tripped in 24 hours with both chillers running.

oscarvan
09-20-2018, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the pics. EXACTLY what I was talking about. IF the fire in the OP started at the shore power connection I am willing to bet money this was what that cabling looked like. BTW, the cable connected to the inside of the boat needs the same scrutiny, although it is somewhat less exposed.

Pascal
09-20-2018, 06:48 PM
Absolutely. That’s why I like having the cable hardwired straight to a breaker even without a cablemaster. On my boat I may eventually remove the inlet and hard wire it. When we go out I keep it just inside the weatherboards and coiled on the aft deck. One fewer failure point

I wonder if that convertible had those troublesome fuses. Switching to breakers is another critical safety item

oscarvan
09-20-2018, 08:34 PM
Absolutely. That’s why I like having the cable hardwired straight to a breaker even without a cablemaster. On my boat I may eventually remove the inlet and hard wire it. When we go out I keep it just inside the weatherboards and coiled on the aft deck. One fewer failure point

I wonder if that convertible had those troublesome fuses. Switching to breakers is another critical safety item

Are those by any chance located right inside there where the cable plug in?

Here you go for your hard wired solution.... https://www.glendinningprods.com/products/cablemaster/