PDA

View Full Version : Water Filter

Photolomy
09-05-2018, 02:51 AM
Is it common to install water filters on these older boats, and where are they installed? I was thinking the kitchen sink and the ice maker. Or is there a more central solution, like at the pump or pressure tank?

Edit: I meant to say "galley" sink. I swear.:)

tonytrakovich
09-05-2018, 08:15 AM
I had a central filter installed after the pump and pressure tank so it serviced the whole boat. Remember to install valves before and after to make filter changes easy. On the new boat, we also have a RO system in the galley. On our last Bahamas trip, it cut down our water bottle usage by 75%. We would refill our bottles with RO water.

SKYCHENEY
09-05-2018, 10:33 AM
Hatteras installed filters on the galley and bar sinks in the 80's. You might take a look at what's there.

Pascal
09-05-2018, 11:16 AM
I d sY it is common on any boat, not just older boats. I prefer having a big filter just past the water pump, and ideally a UV light if you re going to drink the water. And/Or you can add a drinking water tap at the sink with its own filter

SEVEN
09-05-2018, 11:19 AM
Is it common to install water filters on these older boats, and where are they installed? I was thinking the kitchen sink and the ice maker. Or is there a more central solution, like at the pump or pressure tank?

Edit: I meant to say "galley" sink. I swear.:)

You might want to update your profile. I looked at yours and it shows you’re not a Hatteras owner so I cannot tell what year you have. However Sky is correct most came with filters in both locations. Aqua Pure AP217 Is the filter replacement.

drburke
09-05-2018, 11:23 AM
As Sky and Rusty said, you may already have one on the cold water (and ice maker) supply.

No need to filter shower water though.

Two weeks ago I *just* got around to replacing mine, and would like to recommend a source for replacement 5589301: www.discountfilters.com who make their own (*not* China, please) at reasonable cost and have fast shipping.

I wound up using online coupons for my other appliances like fridge, etc. at about half price. Their housing for my boat was slightly larger, the fridge ones identical to Whirlpool in construction.

The existing filter unwinds with a quarter-turn counterclockwise and pull out, but I had to pry mine out with a screwdriver since it had been some time.

The date someone had written on it with a marker was "1/98" so two PO's back.

I do like to change them out every twenty years or so whether they need it or not.

DAN

SEVEN
09-05-2018, 12:46 PM
It’s a wonder you still alive Dan.

drburke
09-05-2018, 12:52 PM
Very little brain damage, well, a little...

DAN

MVCaprice
09-05-2018, 01:27 PM
I have one in the ER right next to the accumulator and I think after the water pump. That is the easiest way to do it and seems to work well. It's a whole home size. The first one we used was a culligan brand, but honestly any of the high volume ones will work.

In fairness we don't have water problems much up here in the PNW so its not as critical as it may be down south where you need water softener etc.

Photolomy
09-05-2018, 02:51 PM
You might want to update your profile. I looked at yours and it shows you’re not a Hatteras owner so I cannot tell what year you have. However Sky is correct most came with filters in both locations. Aqua Pure AP217 Is the filter replacement.

Sorry, the boat isn't here yet, but it is under contract. I went ahead and updated my profile. This one seems like a winner, unlike the one I bought last month.:) When it is in the slip, then I will make the formal announcement. I am just anxious (excited) to get into it.

Oldlaxer1
01-01-2019, 08:06 AM
You might want to update your profile. I looked at yours and it shows you’re not a Hatteras owner so I cannot tell what year you have. However Sky is correct most came with filters in both locations. Aqua Pure AP217 Is the filter replacement. Rusty, my operators manual shows a filter below the galley sink but I don't see it in the cabinets. Is it in the generator room perhaps? Thanks

SEVEN
01-01-2019, 08:28 AM
No it should be under the galley sink and under the bar sink. If you need the filter number they are Aqua Pure AP217.

Oldlaxer1
01-01-2019, 08:37 AM
No it should be under the galley sink and under the bar sink. If you need the filter number they are Aqua Pure AP217. No sign of one under the sink. PO must have removed it. Water pressure at the galley sink and forward shower are lower than the rest of the boat and I'm trying to figure out why. Airator filters are clean. It's not a big deal when on dock water but during the winter when we're on tank water it is a little annoying but not worth fretting over.

Oldlaxer1
01-01-2019, 08:49 AM
No it should be under the galley sink and under the bar sink. If you need the filter number they are Aqua Pure AP217. No sign of one under the sink. PO must have removed it. Water pressure at the galley sink and forward shower are lower than the rest of the boat and I'm trying to figure out why. Airator filters are clean. It's not a big deal when on dock water but during the winter when we're on tank water it is a little annoying but not worth fretting over.

SEVEN
01-01-2019, 09:04 AM
Have you tried to adjust the pressure at the tank?

Oldlaxer1
01-01-2019, 09:20 AM
Have you tried to adjust the pressure at the tank? According to Raz, it is set right for the pump. Pressure is decent in the two aft heads. I'm going to check the gen room to see if perhaps the PO moved the filter there. As I said, it is a little annoying but not the end of the world.

SKYCHENEY
01-01-2019, 01:24 PM
I would try to follow the piping from the sink to see if the filter is in another cabinet or in the gen room. But, mine is under the sink, as others have stated.

davidwigler
01-01-2019, 04:04 PM
Just a hunch if there is an air return nearby check it for a water filter.

SEVEN
01-01-2019, 04:09 PM
I installed a reverse osmosis system in my old Chris Craft. I put it under the galley sink. Got it at Home Deport. Easy to install and made the water outstanding.