PDA

View Full Version : Power Supply for Wheelhouse Ceiling Radio Console. 1984 61MY

scottinsydney
10-01-2017, 08:50 PM
I've installed a small 12 volt fish finder in the ceiling console above the lower helm. When transmitting on the VHF the sounder gets a low voltage alarm. I've also noticed that the voltage indicator on the fishfinder varies which indicates poor power supply.

The power lead used for the new fishfinder was the original power lead for the old Datamarine depth sounder.

Does anyone know which 32-12 volt converter might supply power to the ceiling console? Or where it may be located? Is it possible the ceiling console receives its 12 volts from the flybridge somewhere?

I have all the Electrical plans but it appears the ceiling console is not connected to the original 32 volt panel behind the wheelhouse seat

SEVEN
10-01-2017, 10:37 PM
I had a similar issue with my Tach going crazy when I transmitted to other boats. It seemed the power cable was loomed together with all instruments. Try Isolating the cable to your depth finder. See if that helps.

scottinsydney
10-01-2017, 11:29 PM
Thanks. So I went investigating.

The old Datamarine power wire goes up to a hole between the console and the flybridge. So that will be where the Newmar 32-12v converter is. Probably only a 5amp model and old. I am sure the radio and old depth sounder wire will be connected together somehow at a bus bar which is probably corroded.

(In my restoration of the boat I am yet to do an audit of all the wiring under the flybridge. i know some of it has seen better days or the connections have become corroded.

It also turns out in the past that some mental genius has epoxied the Icom VHF radio mounting flange to the ceiling console's front facia. OMG! That radio will be there for all time.

SEVEN
10-02-2017, 07:09 AM
That mess is from prior owners. Hatteras was much cleaner with their wiring. Good luck

scottinsydney
10-02-2017, 07:27 AM
So I spent a couple of hours under the flybridge tracing wires and looking at 34 year old corroded connections. In particular the heavy duty earth wires for the HF radio were badly corroded and I replaced these. As an interim measure I sprayed a little WD40 on the terminals/bus bars and the back of instuments as there was sure to be some dry connections.

There has indeed been quite a bit of post factory wiring done over the years, but its reasonably tidy under the flybridge. Most time will be spent replacing old wiring connectors where the installers did not use heat shrink to finish the job properly. It will take considerably more time to clean 34 years of accumulated dirt and grime. Under the flybridge helm is a great storage area. Just a pity the access is so unfriendly and narrow for humans.

In the end, the wheelhouse ceiling console fishfinder and VHF gets their power somewhere from the lower helm.

Photo shows corroded HF radio earth post and connecting cables to the Auto Tuning Unit. The corrosion on the Robertson autopilot pump was caused by a piece of carpet nestling beside it.

GJH
10-02-2017, 12:12 PM
The 32-12 OEM adapters on that vintage Hatteras are typically behind the lower helm wheel. That whole console hinges out toward the helm seat.
You'll probably find a whole new world of interesting wiring back there.

SEVEN
10-02-2017, 01:33 PM
To say the least. 😂 LOL

chuckbullett@gmail.com
12-16-2020, 05:35 PM
Sounds like the VHF is pulling more current than the DC to DC converter can produce. Our Newmar 32-12 converter was only good for 35 Amps. I replaced it with a 50A and haven’t had any issues. The Newmar converters do not last forever. Capacitors and switching transformers have a finite life.

I mounted the 32-12 50A converter on the sloping panel beneath then lower helm wheel housing. It’s pretty packed down there, and I struggled to keep the wiring away from the flux gate compass which is about 30 inches away and about 12-inches above on another shelf.

jmooney
12-16-2020, 06:20 PM
Scott , the 32-12 converters under the lower helm are for the engine instruments. There is not enough power for much else . When I got our boat there was a 12 volt system added to the flying bridge, under the helm . It consisted of 4 12 volt batteries , a Newmar 35 amp charger, and a added 12 volt circuit breaker panel . I have replaced the Newmar charger with a 85 amp charger that can double as a power source, made by Charles , a great decision on my part as Charles got out the marine business. But it works great . I replaced the old circuit breaker panel with a new one from Newmar. I have 4 Oddessy AGM batteries. Just in case the charger fails , I am installing 2 Newmar 32-12 10 amp converters to power the upper and lower VHF s and plotters. On my lower helm 32 volt electronics panel there is two unused circuit breakers marked VHF radio . I am using these to power the emergency 32-12 converters. I am also using the ship’s ground bar ( not the DC ground ) in this circuit breaker panel to ground the electronics . Even the radar antenna, which might be a disaster if lightning followed this ground wire to the panel in the lower helm . I will let everyone know if I become a crispy critter. As an aside, I don’t think that there was ever a 32 volt vhf radio. But I am learning so much here !