PDA

View Full Version : Delo 400 40 wt. oil

Ross Macdonald
03-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Karl this is probably one you can answer. A while back there was some great info (mostly from you) regarding the switching from delo 400 40# to Delo 100 40# for the old 2 stroke detroits. I did more research and your info, of course, was confirmed by some excellent mechanics out here in So. Cal. My question is do the transmissions require the switch to Delo 100 as well? I have Twin Disc MG 514 trannies. I also have about 10 gallons of Delo 400 40# still stored on the boat. If it's ok to use in the trannies, I'll obviously hang on to it. Thanks again for your experience and info.

Genesis
03-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Delo 400 is fine in the gears.

The issue in the engines is related only to the sulfated ash numbers, which has no effect on it in the gears.

Ross Macdonald
03-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Karl. I'll hang on to the 400 for the trannies. I really appreciate all your expertise on these old detroits. It takes a little searching out here to get the 100.

SKYCHENEY
03-20-2006, 07:01 PM
If you can't find the Delo 100, you can switch to Exxon XD40. It actually has the lowest sulfated ash content of any 40wt that I have found.

Ross Macdonald
03-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Sky.. That's great info. Thank you.I will look into it out here. Just wrote it down in the maintenance log.

Genesis
03-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Yeah, the XD40 is what I run here.....

Maynard Rupp
03-20-2006, 08:33 PM
I am not as knowledgable about diesels as many of you are. I have a diesel Ford pickup, (love it and my wife hates it), a little Yanmar in our sailboat, and a Volvo TAMD 41 in our yacht club's workboat. I have asked the "what type of oil" question countless times around here and I am amased that almost everyone swears by Shell Rotella. I now use that in all my engines including the Crusader gas engines in our Hatteras. Do any of you have feelings one way or other regarding Shell Rotella. Every once in a while when I pick peoples brains I find that they all swear by the same product. Not very often though. Shell Rotella joins 3M Finesse it II as products that everyone I talk to chooses for their intended use. I do know that Finesse It is a great polish. I am never sure about an oil until I tear the engine down.

SKYCHENEY
03-20-2006, 08:58 PM
I don't use Rotella because I feel that the XD40 is better suited for a DD. Although the Shell product meets the DD specs, the XD40 has a lower sulfated ash content.
For years Mobil, now Exxon-Mobil, has been the supplier of most of the oils for the heavy equipment manufacturers. For instance, all CAT specifications have been for Mobil oils for years. If you buy CAT oil, it's Mobil. We have had excellent results in our heavy equipment using Mobil(Exxon) oils and I trust it. We have been in the quarry business since 1946 and have used most of the oil suppliers out there, but once we started using Mobil, we've stuck with them. Just my personal preference, but if you really want to compare, pull up the specs online and see for yourself.