PDA

View Full Version : original colors

Paul45c
05-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Every now and then I really enjoy browsing the old model brochures. Something recently occurred to me...it looks like the original boats from the 60's and early 70's weren't painted in the ubiquitous "Hatteras off-white" that's more like an oyster. Is it just that the brochures faded, or were the earliest boats really a whiter white? Just curious.

MikeP
05-06-2017, 01:07 PM
Hatt changed to a brighter white in '90-'91. Often, when the older boats were repainted, the owners had them redone in the newer color.

Pascal
05-06-2017, 01:29 PM
I had bought some "hatteras White" paint a few years ago for a tender and it was much more beige / tan than my boat which had been repainted in the mid/late 90s

Scarlett
05-06-2017, 04:33 PM
I am painting my boat now, am useing Sterling paints old Hatteras off white, but it is completely different than the color my boat is and was from the factory. According to Sterling it is not the new Hatteras off white but supposedly the old Hatteras off white. I have found that the old original paint color is almost an exact match to the Briteside Hatteras off white. Looks like paint companies are not very consistent with there colors. John

bostonhatteras
05-06-2017, 06:44 PM
Find the "hatteras off white" you like and bring it to a quality auto body supply and have them match it. My version of hatteras off white is from a pair of 1850 beacon hill doors! We took them to our shop and did all the rot and damage repairs then proceeded to strip them. What we found underneath was two tone blue and white. I had both colors matched from what was left on the doors and I realized the white was a dead ringer for hatt off white. The doors were painted in PPG delfleet and so will the top sides of August, in that exact off white color match from the doors. Don't be held hostage by the few meager offerings from paint companies stock color selections.

Paul45c
05-07-2017, 02:21 PM
Oh, I'm a believer in painting whatever color you like. And Mike, yes, they did make a shift to brighter white later on. I'm just wondering if the very first few models started with a similar brighter white.

Maybe this will illustrate my point. Take a look at the brochures for the ever popular 58 YF. The pics in the first one definitely look brighter than what you see in the later brochures. 45 series 1, 50 convertible series 1, etc...they all look very bright white in the brochures.

Now did those old brochures just fade before somebody scanned them for us, or were they brighter from the factory back them?