PDA

View Full Version : NAIAD 252 Stabilisers

Freestyle
07-04-2016, 11:10 AM
I recently had the rams changed out while I was out of town so they didn't get sea trialed. While running the engines dockside, I turned on the stabilizers. Usually at the dock they both cycle through and center. This time they both cycled wildly with the port one not returning to center even when I pushed the center button.

Other than call the tech for doing a half assed job, where should I start trouble shooting this?

Thanks

Bruce

Freestyle
1986 62 CPMY
Tampa

bobk
07-04-2016, 04:14 PM
Air in the system?

Bobk

dottieshusband
07-04-2016, 06:49 PM
It's possible they didn't properly mark and reinstall the position sensor. It's under the blue dome cap.

Freestyle
07-05-2016, 01:35 PM
So the tech who replaced the cylendars diagnosed the problem by phone and concluded I need a new gyro for $1200 plus travel and installation.

The gyro worked fine before we replaced the cylanders. What would make the gyro suddenly go bad?

Thanks

Bruce

Freestyle
1986 62 CPMY
Tampa

Boatsb
07-05-2016, 02:16 PM
So the tech who replaced the cylendars diagnosed the problem by phone and concluded I need a new gyro for $1200 plus travel and installation.

The gyro worked fine before we replaced the cylanders. What would make the gyro suddenly go bad?

Thanks

Bruce

Freestyle
1986 62 CPMY
Tampa

The tech.

Nothing else was disturbed was it?

dottieshusband
07-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Hey, I'm not a NIAD tech, and don't pretend to be one. But I have rebuilt one of the ram cylinders. To get it off, I had to take (jack) the big metal plate covering the tie rod end off (retaining pin was stuck). To get that plate off, I had to disconnect and move the position sensor. I marked it's location when the fin was centered, and put it back on in the same place... if the fin isn't going back to center, that's the 1st place I'd look.

SKYCHENEY
07-05-2016, 08:47 PM
1) are you sure about the travel of the fins? Did you watch the cylinders on each side or are you just looking at the indicators on the dash?
2) if they are indeed moving incorrectly, are you sure he hooked the lines up correctly? Look at the schematic in the Naiad manual and follow the lines to make sure they are correct.
3) If the lines are right, I would then look at the feedback assemblies
4) gyro is probably not the issue

Pascal
07-06-2016, 07:08 AM
I don't see how a defective gyro would affect th center function

SKYCHENEY
07-06-2016, 10:53 AM
I don't see how a defective gyro would affect th center function

Right. When the valve is switched to center, it bypasses the gyro altogether. Just look at the gyro pressure. It will be zero in center mode. It should be 200-400psi in the "on" position.

Also, a new gyro is not $1200. That is the price to send yours in for a rebuild. A new one would be much more.

piripucha
07-06-2016, 01:49 PM
As they mentioned before, make sure that the rams are cyclin by taking a look a them. If they are not, it may be a problem with the position sensor. If one of the fins do not return to center you have to graduate the position sensor. Take of the cover on the back it ussually has some safety wire.There is a allen screw that you have to move counterclockwise , all this is done with the engine that powers the system on, and do it slowlly until you see the fin move to the center position. There is some marks on the plates. Good luck.

carolinacoast
07-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Bruce -

Call Naiad directly. numbers below. They are Fantastic. Got mine back online over the phone.

Welcome to Naiad Dynamics Customer Service Center. Naiad Dynamics is the only authorized service center for not only NAIAD products, but for Vosper and Koopnautic stabilizer systems, MDI motion control systems and HPS thrusters as well. For technical support, provider locator and frequently asked questions, click on the appropriate links below:

NAIAD DYNAMICS US, INC.

Connecticut
50 Parrott Drive
Shelton, CT 06484 USA
Tel +1 203.929.6355
Fax +1 203.929.3594
Email: service@naiad.com

Maryland
23620 Three Notch Road
Hollywood, MD 20636 USA
Tel +1 301.690.2010
Fax +1 301.690.2187

Florida
3750 Hacienda Blvd.,Suite A
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314 USA
Tel +1 954.797.7566
Fax +1 954.791.0827

chuckbullett@gmail.com
07-08-2016, 07:30 AM
My vote: incorrectly installed position sensor.I don't trust techs... That was a gnarly job and he probably lost money on it so he didn't take care re-assembling it.Pull the top cover off and inspect the position sensor linkage.

Freestyle
07-11-2016, 10:36 AM
Here is the end to the original post regarding my stabilizers and a question for further thought.

First, thank you for all of the help. The NAID people were as helpful as they could be but not enough to get the job done.

Initially, the stabs would sometimes do the right thing and sometimes the port one would go to the down position and stay there. After playing with it a number of times, I got it to fail consistently in the same manner and it would not center.

This led to replacing the gyro. Fixing the leak in the cylindars increased pressure on the valves in the gyro. One on the port side started to fail giving me the crazy readings and then with repeated testing outright failed. The tech came back out and replaced the gyro with a rebuilt one for $1200. So it was not inexpensive but not the worst thing ever to happen to me.

One strange issue. The gyro is mounted on my stbd engine room's aft bulkhead. The top of the gyro has an arrow that says "Forward" that is clearly pointing aft. It has been this way since I have owned the boat and probably since installation. I see a lot of engine room pictures with gyros on the aft bulkhead. Anyone have an explanation why my arrow points the wrong way? They seem to work great this way.

Bruce

Freestyle
1986 62 CPMY (54 with cockpit extension)
Tampa

SKYCHENEY
07-11-2016, 10:18 PM
Here is the end to the original post regarding my stabilizers and a question for further thought.

First, thank you for all of the help. The NAID people were as helpful as they could be but not enough to get the job done.

Initially, the stabs would sometimes do the right thing and sometimes the port one would go to the down position and stay there. After playing with it a number of times, I got it to fail consistently in the same manner and it would not center.

This led to replacing the gyro. Fixing the leak in the cylindars increased pressure on the valves in the gyro. One on the port side started to fail giving me the crazy readings and then with repeated testing outright failed. The tech came back out and replaced the gyro with a rebuilt one for $1200. So it was not inexpensive but not the worst thing ever to happen to me.

One strange issue. The gyro is mounted on my stbd engine room's aft bulkhead. The top of the gyro has an arrow that says "Forward" that is clearly pointing aft. It has been this way since I have owned the boat and probably since installation. I see a lot of engine room pictures with gyros on the aft bulkhead. Anyone have an explanation why my arrow points the wrong way? They seem to work great this way.

Bruce

Freestyle
1986 62 CPMY (54 with cockpit extension)
Tampa

They can be mounted fwd or aft. You just have to swap the hoses so the outputs are correct.

Finalee
07-12-2016, 08:04 AM
I know this is off base, but it begs the question what happens when the hoses are hooked up wrong?

SKYCHENEY
07-12-2016, 08:38 AM
I know this is off base, but it begs the question what happens when the hoses are hooked up wrong?

The fins work opposite. You get more roll instead of less.